Laxius Soul Forever Heroes Maiden Maiden Odessa When the Light Dies

Tactics

Tactics

Postby Zeriab » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:56 am

As I am going to complete the game on Nightmare a discussion of tactics suddenly becomes much more relevant than in Ataraxia.
I posted it under spoilers and discussion because Dreamscape is a survival type rpg and therefore the order you complete story events can have a great impact.
I want to complete Nightmare without touching Pinkie which leaves with me no inn.
This could mean that I might into the situation where killing a dreamlord leaves me so wounded that I cannot continue.

In Ataraxia your stats are nearly 3 times as high (20/7 times as high to be precise)
Each monster killed gives +5 hp and +1 mp. (+2 mp for actors with the Enchanter's Hat equipped)
Magical Hourglasses can be used to skip stationary glitches once (which the purple ones typically are), but the supply of them is very limited. (The glitches come back next time you enter the screen)

Since weak monsters can be used for healing hp & mp later it make sense to keep some alive.
On the other hand leaving too many alive will mean that you fight the stronger monsters at a lower level.
There is also the question of Peeboo's Carrot transformation.
Carrots cure Illness and heal 10 hp. Carrots also give a different amount of exp than the monsters converted.
Some investigation should be done to figure out the exact amount. Maybe more exp is earned by transforming weak monsters.

I have only played for like 10 minutes and so far I suggest that you leave Athena's dream as soon as you enter it.
The reason is that you can get Particle Blast for Athena which I am sure will come in handy.

Boss strategies are also very useful to have.
Please help me come up with some. Here is one for Confusium:
Dreamlord Confusium
HP: 24000-28000
Best magic: White Nuke +::wizard
This dreamlord have the very annoying ability of confusing you.
If Peeboo for example becomes confused he attacks himself or another of your party.
The key is to prevent the dreamlord from ever confusing anyone from your party.
Use Erin's Divert to make the dreamlord attack Erin.
Make sure Erin has as much defense and resistance as possible.
Enable counter hits as that will enable Erin attack the dreamlord.

*hugs*
Checkout my game Desecrators
Zeriab
Explorer

Re: Tactics

Postby Indinera » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:39 am

Some excellent tips there.

I just want to add I did complete the game in Pure Nightmare. :)
• Play my latest games! ⬇️⬇️⬇️
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Indinera
Site Admin

Postby Ladybug » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:58 pm

2 things that I find most useful:

- If you get a boost icon blocking your path to an easy monster, don't forget you can use it to go fight a harder monster from another area or even another dream!!! The boost doesn't go away until you enter a fight so changing dreams won't make it disappear!

- Erin is great at diverting the enemy's attention and she's pretty resistant too (specially with good equipment), so have her do that even if she is the one who makes bigger damage in your party - it may take you longer to fight the monsters but you won't loose HPs or MPs!

@Zeriab: As soon as you get the first rock breaker you will also be able to enter Erin's dream to get that Toga conveniently laying outside! ;)
ImageImage
Ladybug
Ranger

Postby Zeriab » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:33 am

Thanks for the tip Ladybug :D
You can infact get it already after the first fight.
Also, when you get the rock breaker, remember to go back to the start of Athena's dream and break the rocks there. Gives you another sling ^^

Carrots give 50 exp so I will now turn all monsters that give less exp into carrots.
Zeriab
Explorer

Postby Indinera » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:42 am

+::clap lots of good strategies there +::clap
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Indinera
Site Admin

Postby Ladybug » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:03 pm

@ Zeriab: Thanks! I couldn't remember whether it was first fight or first reward so posted the first time point at which I was sure you could get the toga! And yeah, I immediately got that sling! lol

As for the carrots I think it might not be so linear, maybe the value of the carrot changes depending on which monster you're converting... +::Dunno I'm going through the crypts now and noticed 3 buried hands give you 420Exp, whereas 3 buried hands converted into carrots give you 600Exp (extra 60 per carrot) - so I would say, convert them away!!! I defend with the others and let Peeboo do his magic! ;) +::Thumbup
ImageImage
Ladybug
Ranger

Postby Indinera » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:10 pm

Peeboo! :)
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Indinera
Site Admin

Postby Zeriab » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:36 pm

You need to fight at least twice before getting the first rock breaker, so that second fight can become a bit easier ^^

I got say that my carroting have already helped.
I just noticed that the carrots now give 100 exp
Erin - level 14
Athena - level 15
Peeboo - level 14
Clochette - level 11

41 carrots (I had 39 before that fight)

I am also playing it on nightmare from scratch although it was hard to give away the rewards +::cry
Currently I divert with Erin who I have equipped with the highest def stuff atm, defend with Athena & Clochette and let Peeboo do his magic.
The monsters doesn't hurt Erin atm :D

Please keep updating this topic as you come up with new tactics.
I definitely will update when I do ^^

*hugs*

Edit:
Remember to buy boost items.
In Erin's dream you can reach two merchants without fighting anyone.
Gigi the cool glitch: (in the house you immediately see, doesn't move)
Irish Breakfast - +1 def, 3 gp
British's Favorite - +1 def, 11 gp

The girl hiding in the upper right sells:
Egyptian Balm - 40 hp heal, 5 gp
Egyptian Leaf - cure venom + 40 hp heal, 6 gp
Gem of the Nile - +5 hp (perm), 50 gp
Tea on the Nile - +1 spirit (perm), 4 gp
Pharaoh's Best - +1 spirit (perm), 13 gp

There is a limited supply. As I have already bought and used some I don't know what the supply start at.
Zeriab
Explorer

Postby Ladybug » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:46 pm

My members are at levels 28,28,27,26 so maybe that's why I get 200Exp from the carrots. Could it be that it depends on Peeboo's mind power? +::Dunno

Currently I divert with Erin who I have equipped with the highest def stuff atm, defend with Athena & Clochette and let Peeboo do his magic.
The monsters doesn't hurt Erin atm :D

Indeed! That's how I stored so many items for later! XD Also don't convert Ancient Guardians as they can drop Egyptian Balms!

If you go inside the dream of the girl selling the items
Spoiler: show
be sure to click on the column and defeat the "very hard" monsters hiding there... +::biggrin You'll get a lot of Oranges as a reward!
ImageImage
Ladybug
Ranger

Postby Zeriab » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:44 pm

Thanks for the hint Ladybug :D

Against monster with high defense (Ancient Guard, Celstar Guard & Holystar Guard for example) they may defend which cause significant less damage to be dealt.
This is annoying if you are using Athena's Talisman (since that is so effective)
If you equip Erin with an Agility boost (so she gets the first turn) you can use divert which causes affected guards to stop defending.

Edit: Ok, just defeated the Giant Cyclop and came out of the battle with more hp than when I entered.
Huge hint:
Spoiler: show
It falls easily to sleep
Zeriab
Explorer

Postby Indinera » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:26 pm

ths topic is a treasure for all nightmare players lol
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Indinera
Site Admin

Postby Zeriab » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:54 pm

Thanks Indi ^^

I am sure that some of my tactics can be improved, so if anyone has any comments for improvement please tell ^^
Please note that I am playing Nightmare as an Original Dream (that is, no completion bonuses)
I am sure that using completion bonuses will change which tactics you are to employ.

I have discovered three different effects of taking a red skull. It seems that you can't get more than one of these effects although I might just have been lucky.
  1. HP Loss (It will only lower your hp down to 1, so it can't kill)
  2. Venom
  3. Exp loss
Once you have Clochette's Detox you can keep loading until you get the Venom. You can also use Egyptian Leaf to cure.

I have just killed King (Kong) and here are my tactics for him:
The King
HP: 24000-28000
Best magic: Fire Launcher
It seems that King only makes normal attacks though I might just have been lucky.
You can use Erin's Divert skill to be sure.
Athena's Fire Launcher did around 4k damage per hit, so that is extremely effective.
Remember to use Clochette's Energy.
Sleep doesn't seem to work very well.
On the other hand I found that equipping Fanfare Drum both angers and dazzles The King.
This means that it hits harder, but is much less accurate about it. Defense is lowered so you do more damage.
It's a gamble I believe is worth the risk.
Zeriab
Explorer

Postby Ladybug » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:26 pm

LOL I'm also reaching the final stage of my perfect original nightmare!
And yes I always go for the venom state in bot the skulls and the green mushrooms (or ill)!

I am also a fan of that Drum for the Dream Lord in Snowy Place:

He counter-hits and counter-spells!
Use Athena's drum - he can get dazzled and angry! That together with Erin on counter-hitting after defending the first round, in order for Athena to use her drum, makes a really nice show to watch between the two since she hits him harder and he misses most times! In fact, I think she knocked him off before he actually was even able to hit her at all! +::biggrin

As for Fractal Dream Lord in the Factory and the Renegade guy in front of JAG have Erin divert them in order to avoid their spells! They don't hit back, so make sure to have her on counter-hit and Clochette boosting the party in the meantime!
ImageImage
Ladybug
Ranger

Postby Zeriab » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:43 pm

I have completed it +::YAY

I didn't even dare touch Repellin. I was too scared of that guy.
Note that you can just use your Magical Hourglasses to get past the renegades near the end ^^
Gizma really is not a problem (the one claiming to be the best)

Btw. I had totally forgotten to say that you can use an hourglass to get past Al Capone +::biggrin

Thanks for the hints Ladybug, but I don't think I need them anymore now with my rewards <3
Zeriab
Explorer

Postby Indinera » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:49 pm

Congratulations, Zeriab!

Gizma really is not a problem (the one claiming to be the best)

LOL
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Indinera
Site Admin

Next

Return to Spoiler Discussions