Laxius Soul Forever Heroes Maiden Maiden Odessa When the Light Dies

Script is Hanging error whenever i open inventory

Script is Hanging error whenever i open inventory

Postby aquatorre » Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:21 pm

I always got 'Script is Hanging' error whenever I open my inventory or talk to shop NPC. I can't complete some of the sidequests this way.
I emailed the support about this but I only got a reply that it's an expected behaviour for "weaker" computers and asked me to send a save near a shop so that they can sell some of my items, but I don't really want to sell my items.

Is there a way I can solve this problem without selling items from my inventory? I already sent an email but it seems that there isn't a response yet.. I'm not sure why this isn't fixed if it's expected.. I mean, it's a game crashing bug..

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: after sending my save file, the dev stated that he's not going to fix this bug. I'm not happy about this since he just ignored the whole problem after my problem is "solved", but it's his choice anyway. Just letting people know in case you got the same problem.
Last edited by aquatorre on Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
aquatorre
Peasant

Re: Script is Hanging error whenever i open inventory

Postby Indinera » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:02 am

Hello, I'm the one who answered you by email.
I tried to see if I could do something about it but it's not an easy thing as it is how the software (RPG Maker XP) deals with the inventory menu.
Basically for slower computers it's not recommended to keep a huge inventory with every single item of the game. Please do note I was able to open your inventory so it really is a matter of computer speed. These cases are extremely rare, very few instances reported over the course of 10 years. Generally when it happens, I just offer as a fix to trim the inventory list from its most useless items.
• Play my latest games! ⬇️⬇️⬇️
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Indinera
Site Admin

Postby aquatorre » Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:41 pm

Thanks for the reply! Sorry for being impatient, there were no response from my last email even though the response in first email is pretty fast so i think that there might be something wrong with it.

Have you found the fix yet? I asked some people about it and they said it might be fixed if you make a thread that calls Graphics.update if it hasn't been called for more than 4 seconds or do a Graphics.update call for every 100 items drawn.
But again, i'm not an expert at it. Just want to give you some leads in case you're stuck or something. Sorry if im being nosy tho.

I know that i'm not using a gaming computer, but i think my laptop spec is pretty decent at the time of the game's release if we are talking about computer speed (i5, 4gb ram)

Anyway, does this mean that it will also happen on the fourth and fifth game?
aquatorre
Peasant

Postby Indinera » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:25 pm

Thanks, at my level of expertise, which is more "story" oriented than pure programming, it's not an easy fix.
It's also a very old game so it doesn't help as I don't remember very well the details of it.

Anyway, does this mean that it will also happen on the fourth and fifth game?

If you import your savefile, it's likely, as they use the same structure.
If you start a new game you should be fine until your inventory gets too full again.
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Indinera
Site Admin

Postby Tomas » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:41 pm

Just a bit of explanation - (as far as I know,) to prevent getting "stuck" by an "infinite-loop" script, RPG Maker uses a simple procedure. Every time any script is run, it measures the time. Once a pre-set duration is reached, and the script still runs, it is terminated and you get the Script is Hanging error.
If opening inventory takes too long, then this error is inevitable.

I can think of four suggestions how to improve this behaviour:
1. Get rid of some of the items in your inventory.
2. If you have a "classical" harddisk, i.e. not a SSD, loading the items icons and description and music can take a lot of time. Defragmentation or installing the game to another unit (if you have any) can sometimes help a little bit. (If your inventory is too big, then this does not really matter.)
3. Maybe the preset time for invoking the Script is Hanging error can be increased? I have no clue whether this is possible, though.
4. Faster computer.
Tomas
Ranger

Postby aquatorre » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:22 am

@Indinera: so.. does this mean that you're not going to fix it?
@Tomas: yeah, i was given an explanation for it and i was told that the simplest fix would be to tinker around with the graphics.update call. As i said in my first post, i don't really like to do 1) if possible, but if the dev aren't going to fix it i don't have any choice but to do that or use other people save file to get 100% achievement..
I already did 2) although i don't see any reason why i should do a workaround if my device meet the minimum requirement..
As for 4), there is no way i can suddenly have a better pc just because of this..
aquatorre
Peasant

Postby Indinera » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:52 am

The easiest way to fix it is to trim the inventory. This will not prevent you from getting 100% achievements.
In its 10 years of existence this is the first of such report I've got for a Millennium game. I had gotten a few in the past for the Laxius Force series as they are very big games with a lot of items. Many items are not necessary for the completion of the game and generally it's not a major issue to just sell them, which is something I can do.

Regardless I've tried to look for potential fixes but so far I got nothing convincing, that I haven't already told you.
Someone did mention this though:

However if the error happens even during that I'd definitely recommend checking the hard disk health and any activity (overzealous anti-virus software, malware, etc.). It's weird everything else is (mostly) fine except the item menu.
Also does the error occur when using the in-battle item menu?
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Indinera
Site Admin

Postby aquatorre » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:26 am

Well i would like to avoid it if possible. I just like to collect the items tbh. I hardly even use items in my inventory throughout the game (just a couple of potions and mandragores), but sure, i guess i'll just send a save file later tonight and wait until it got fixed later to play the others.
EDIT: done!

The error doesnt occur when i use in-battle menu. I think it's because it doesn't show both item and equipment at once. I'm not sure how to check hard disk health but i just defrag and clean my laptop the other day and i have no anti virus installed.

Thanks for the hard work to fix it btw! I appreciate it.
aquatorre
Peasant

Postby Indinera » Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:37 am

Got your email, will get on it now, thanks.
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Indinera
Site Admin

Postby aquatorre » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:41 pm

Thanks! I think there is something wrong with the save tho. I already sent an email about it. Do let me know when you have fix the crash issue btw!
aquatorre
Peasant

Postby Indinera » Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:17 pm

aquatorre wrote:Thanks! I think there is something wrong with the save tho. I already sent an email about it. Do let me know when you have fix the crash issue btw!

I got one email from you today which I replied to as well.
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Indinera
Site Admin

Return to Millennium 3: Cry Wolf - Help and Questions