Laxius Soul Forever Heroes Maiden Maiden Odessa When the Light Dies

General Game Making questions

Re: General Game Making questions

Postby jyarceus1993 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:53 pm

We'd be glad to help you out,Emerald :)

I'm more of an RMXP guy!It may not be as easy as Rpg Maker Vx,but it's pretty cooler +::biggrin
Spoiler: show

La shai'a waqi'on motlaq bal kollon momken-Altair
jyarceus1993
DreamLord of Myst

Postby EmeraldEyez » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:34 pm

I appreciate the feedback, and offer to help :)....Now do you know of any good RMXP Walkthroughs, manuals, guides etc....???? I am having such a hard time with event creating +::Annoyed That is where VX is so much easier...cause it had the Quick Event Insert feature...but I still like the graphics in XP, and am willing to learn how to use it!!

I am still on the first map.....I am really just playing around with it right now to learn how to use it properly, and I am sure it will take me at least a week before I actually get the first map/screen done +::biggrin

I do have one other question....when game making did you start by making your maps/screens first or did you customize your characters, items, and such first??

Thank you Jya +::heart
EmeraldEyez
DreamLord of Myst

Postby jyarceus1993 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:50 pm

Well....wow it takes me back to my initial days of summer vaccation last year....Haha...I had a hard time practising with rmxp and I basically SUCKED at making maps +::biggrin But as time flew by,I got used to the tilesets and all...

The mapping classes here should help you out(it helped me much +::biggrin )
http://www.rmxpunlimited.net/forums/for ... ing-class/

Black Shadow and Kiriashi there are both awesome at making maps :)

Start with the maps first.Then move on to the character,weapon,item lists,etc and eventing

Try making some maps with the Grassland tileset first,Emerald.Once you get the hang of it,move onto the Mountains.Getting better at these two maps means you'd get better with all the other 40 something tilesets.

Why don't you post the maps you make,here :)

jyarceus1993
DreamLord of Myst

Postby EmeraldEyez » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:53 pm

I will do that! hey is there a way to use two different tile sets on one map...Ie: grassland and forest Thanks :)
EmeraldEyez
DreamLord of Myst

Postby jyarceus1993 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:56 pm

http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php?topic=4412.0

Tileset Merger will help you to merge two tilesets together :)

But,you need to set the Passibility,Priority,blah blah blah of the merged tileset under the Tilesets Tab in the Material database manually :)

jyarceus1993
DreamLord of Myst

Postby EmeraldEyez » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:09 am

Thanks Jya....I actually found some merged tileset files, and they work great! Thanks for the help :)
EmeraldEyez
DreamLord of Myst

Postby Despero6 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:52 am

If you want event tutorials, try the information source of the century, youtube. +::biggrin

Srsly, heres an Event Tut: Events and stuff Totorial Playlist, skip to what your looking for

And Some tips on Mapping: It's also in a playlist for easy access
Despero6 - Usukuragari no Idaten ...
ImageImage

Despero6
DreamLord of Myst

Postby EmeraldEyez » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:01 pm

Thank you Despero....all help is greatly appreciated. I decided to replay 3 stars for some good tips on mapping....It really helps to see good maps, so that when you are making your maps you can be sure they look decent!! +::YAY
EmeraldEyez
DreamLord of Myst

Postby ShadetheMystic » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:17 am

Oh thank god, I was looking for the 'Help me, I'm drowning!' section, and here is it.

I'm having two problems at the moment with my current project, one minor, the other kinda big and important.

First problem, I'm using Yanfly's YEZ engine, teaching myself how to use it since Yanfly left RM and doesn't support any of his/her scripts anymore. My problem is, the game uses a system like Final Fantasy Tactics, where battles earn Job Points to spend on new skills, and more skills become available as the characters level up. However, when I level up the characters, either through fighting, or by raising their levels in the Troops testfight, no skills are available. Like, at all, they don't even show up in the skills menu, or in the menu where they're supposed to be bought with the JP.

I put together a small demo to showcase my exact problem, in case I didn't explain this right or someone needs to see the scripting and notetags for themselves.

http://www.mediafire.com/?59755dzlv4lmv8x

Now, my other problem, which I only discovered a few minutes ago, is considerably less important, but it's happened to me before, I thought it was just an issue with the message script, but now I'm not so sure. I've set up Name Input events for the characters, and they work fine for the first event, but as soon as I open the menu, the characters are reverted back to their default names, and they use the default names in dialogue. Now, I'm no rookie, I've been in RM for over ten years, I know all about \n[x], and that's what I use. What I don't understand is Ruby, so if this is a scripting issue, or an engine issue, or something, I'm lost.

Anyways, those are my problems. If anyone has any ideas or solutions, then thank you in advanced, and thanks for reading my overly-long whine-fest.
Raven: You have us, Rowen...if you want, we'll be your family.
Rowen: Even the crazy man?
Homard: Especially the crazy man! Every girl needs a pet!

Mina: I like him. Reminds me of me Uncle Fred.
Simona: Is Uncle Fred senile, too?
Mina: No, but he thinks he is.
ShadetheMystic
Bard

Postby vandread » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:55 pm

I recently purchased RPG Maker VX and have been trying to figure out mapping (I know like duh, that's important). But don't understand if you start with the world or start with the community/town. Also, is there a way to change "enemies" so certain ones can be party members? Examples: Lamias, succubus, etc. Or is that something I'd have to generate separately/make myself?
vandread
Wanderer

Postby D-Squall » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:46 pm

Usually when a project is started on RPG Maker, a big map with water appears. I always use them to make the world map, but in order to create another maps click in the world map name with the right button of the mouse and choose Create A New Map, don't know if tha is the specific name.

About the monsters, I don't know if there are scripts about it, I never did that.
D-Squall
Aldorlian Legend

Postby vandread » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:40 am

D-Squall wrote:Usually when a project is started on RPG Maker, a big map with water appears. I always use them to make the world map, but in order to create another maps click in the world map name with the right button of the mouse and choose Create A New Map, don't know if tha is the specific name.

About the monsters, I don't know if there are scripts about it, I never did that.

Thank you. One more thing I noticed. There are no brooms in the icon/item section. I am making a funny game where one of the main/party characters is a maid whose weapon is a broom and a dust pan for a shield.
vandread
Wanderer

Postby EgyLynx » Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:43 pm

Monsters at party ...
difficult. them are like forward and stand, and MUCH bigger than 32*32, so you need program which make that... or look sample and mix it... face? open paint and copy face at other...
And not say which are these order at where walking, because 95 are only two, and these vx are seem own order.
But stats/name/skills are easest side...
EgyLynx
Mercenary

Postby littlebro » Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:32 pm

I couldn't quite work out what the question is that you are asking.

If you want to have the party's faces showing at the bottom of the screen during battle, you will need to use a script.

Battlers are always large. Do you want them to face forward, or are you asking if they can face sideways?

The size of battlers doesn't matter unless you want to have the party also fighting on the screen. Is that what you mean?
littlebro
Ranger

Postby EgyLynx » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:29 pm

vandread wrote:I recently purchased RPG Maker VX and have been trying to figure out mapping (I know like duh, that's important). But don't understand if you start with the world or start with the community/town. Also, is there a way to change "enemies" so certain ones can be party members? Examples: Lamias, succubus, etc. Or is that something I'd have to generate separately/make myself?

Make myselft: Check if there at sample, look what that one look and try look others, (charas orders), at vx/ace´s it was different than 2k0 and 2k3 and much more different than 95.
And "Enemies" you can clear these you don´t need. Althougt you should check every MONSTER party first.
And you´re can put you own pictures at "Enemies" ( and delete these you own) .
But you´re CANT delete these aldready, without handing these already files...
edit: new try because some thinks i ask!
EgyLynx
Mercenary

Previous

Return to Your Homemade Games