Laxius Soul Forever Heroes Maiden Maiden Odessa When the Light Dies

Advent

Advent

Postby vitaliy » Tue May 28, 2013 2:13 pm

*Note* This game is going commercial and the reason I'm posting this thread is to find beta-testers to try it out.
I'm mostly worried about my game being too tough (It's a habit of mine to do that).

After a long wait and a 3 month sabbatical that almost made me too lazy to work on my game, I finally finished!

I present to you: Advent!

This is my first full-length rpg and my first project that I feel is of a respectable quality. Here are some specs before I get on to the storyline:

25-30 hours of Gameplay!
Over 400 weapons, armors, and items!
Over 190 unique character skills and weapon unleashes!
15 classes (also equippable as subclasses)!
Several optional dungeons and bosses!
On-screen encounters!
Save anywhere!

Storyline: Cyrus and his comrades stumble upon an ancient tablet with prophecies on it. To their amazement, these prophecies were currently being fulfilled on their island of Nord. Cyrus and his friends must now find the remaining tablets and find out what the Creator of everything has in store for them. Amidst all this, a war rages between the
Kingdom of Havilah and Asharia. The people of Nord are unaware that as they fight, a much greater threat approaches.

As in my last game(Genesis), Advent also has a strong Biblical flavor. I trust that people will enjoy its uniqueness.

*Notes* Title screen is not finalized; I'll get a custom one later. The main character sprites might be changed... if I can find someone that can make custom sprites in Mack's style. Statuses/buffs cover up faces during battles really quickly... no idea how to fix that graphical nuisance (although it may not annoy everyone) lol.
Also, my game is 308 MB (largely due to the VX Ace RTP). I had heard it was possible to run the game without the RTP but, I haven't figured out how to do that. It would really help everyone downloading the file if it wasn't so bulky. If you know how to fix this issue then please let me know.

Screenshots:

vitaliy
Peasant

Re: Advent

Postby D-Squall » Tue May 28, 2013 4:08 pm

I would offer my services for testing, but I don't have much time free these days. I still can try if you want, although I won't be able to test and be online to contact whenever you want.
D-Squall
Aldorlian Legend

Postby littlebro » Tue May 28, 2013 9:21 pm

If you don't want to include the RTP

When you have the editor open, click 'File' and select 'Compress Data'. In the dialogue box that then comes up you will see that it has an option for including RTP data. Simply leave that box unchecked and it won't be included. You should be sending it out compressed anyway.

However, it does mean that anyone without the RTP won't be able to play your game unless they are prepared to DL it separately - in which case, it's probably more convenient for them to get the whole thing in one package.

Are you sure you've done everything to reduce the size of the file? e.g. have you converted all music files to .ogg format? that reduces them to well under a quarter of the size of e.g. mp3 files. Have you double-checked that you've got no unused pictures/parallaxes that you've not deleted? The reason I ask is that it is an unusually large file size.
littlebro
Ranger

Postby vitaliy » Tue May 28, 2013 11:49 pm

To littebro: I am well aware of how to compress my file without the RTP. Allow me to clarify: I want a way that allows people to play it without me needing to include the entire RTP and only include the necessary files that I'm using. I'm assuming I could just move all the necessary files from the RTP into the game's folders... but, I have a feeling that the game would still crash.

The music is already in .ogg format.

The VX Ace RTP is about 170 MB if I remember correctly. Past rpg makers were a lot more reasonable with the file size and so this is only a recent problem for those using VX Ace.

I'll go see what I can do in the mean time to fix the size issue. I don't want to make my beta-testers download a 300 MB file and Mediafire crashes whenever I try to upload something that big anyway.

I'll accept any beta-testers available... as soon as I can get the file to upload without crashing...
vitaliy
Peasant

Postby vitaliy » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:38 am

I was finally able to get it uploaded on Google drive... Mediafire and 4shared were being annoying about it. Hopefully, everyone that wants to will be able to access it now. However, I will need your e-mails. I'll be able to send you the link that way.

Please message me your e-mail if you want to beta-test.

I managed to get the file size down to 198 MB in compressed form.
vitaliy
Peasant

Return to Your Homemade Games