Laxius Soul Forever Heroes Maiden Maiden Odessa When the Light Dies

Burning Faith

Re: New RPG: Burning Faith

Postby Rabbit » Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:52 am

Oops, thank you again. I guess I skipped that part of the instructions because I thought I knew all about MP and TP.

Now that I think I understand what Fortunetellers (and Analytics) is supposed to do, I don't think it works properly. When I cast Fortunetellers Lvl1 on Valerie alone or on Valerie and one other character, I see her gain about 1 MP per turn, as expected. But when I try to be more efficient and cast it on the max of 5 characters, I don't see any MP gain at all for anyone. Same for Evelyn's Analytics. Not sure what's wrong, or maybe I still don't understand it.

And the characters are supposed to occasionally gain 1 MP or 1 TP without casting any spells? I don't think I've seen this happen.

I'm up to Battle 23 now, and have enjoyed what I have seen so far. The heroes have rather generic hero personalities, but the misadventures of the big bad guy are quite funny. The characters have a nice variety of skills, and with some experimentation I've found some good combos. Resources are scarce though, so that the game is not very forgiving of newbie player fumbling. It's gotten super hard for me now, and I may need to start over and make better informed decisions in the early battles so that the later battles will be more manageable.
Rabbit
Mercenary

Postby Samcry » Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:24 pm

Now that I think I understand what Fortunetellers (and Analytics) is supposed to do, I don't think it works properly. When I cast Fortunetellers Lvl1 on Valerie alone or on Valerie and one other character, I see her gain about 1 MP per turn, as expected. But when I try to be more efficient and cast it on the max of 5 characters, I don't see any MP gain at all for anyone. Same for Evelyn's Analytics. Not sure what's wrong, or maybe I still don't understand it.

It increases the chances to get +1MP each turn, but it's not guaranteed.
Fortunetellers buffs luck twice, so for instance if a character has 50 in luck, they will get 40% more, so 70.
It means instead of having 50% chances to get +1MP each turn, they'll have 70%.

I'm up to Battle 23 now, and have enjoyed what I have seen so far.

Thank you. I'm very happy to read this :)

The heroes have rather generic hero personalities, but the misadventures of the big bad guy are quite funny. The characters have a nice variety of skills, and with some experimentation I've found some good combos. Resources are scarce though, so that the game is not very forgiving of newbie player fumbling. It's gotten super hard for me now, and I may need to start over and make better informed decisions in the early battles so that the later battles will be more manageable.

Tactic matters a lot in this game. If I can be of any help, be sure to let me know ;)
Samcry
Peasant

Postby Rabbit » Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:59 pm

Finally finished the last battle! Very challenging, but also very satisfying since the challenge was all by design. After all that work, I enjoyed sitting back and watching the ending.

To get there, I decided to start over and get "Cheers!" on all the battles for the experience bonus. Not sure whether that character experience made the difference, or whether my increased experience with this game just made me play it better.

I tried to explore the skills more as well. Lukas' Gong was pure awesome at lvl 3. So was Guinevere'e Fireball. Leveling up the cure-type spells was also very worthwhile. I didn't end up using that Fortunetellers buff, as it never seemed to return my investment. I tried leveling Lukas' Landstalker to see if he might learn to swim or something, but at lvl 3, it no longer gives the ability to walk on difficult terrain. Slash's Goldslash skill never seemed to work, until I finally realized that the range shown by the game is wrong; the target needs to be right next to him.

I found "secret" treasures on some of the maps, but not all. It makes me wonder if I missed some. Anyone else playing this?
Rabbit
Mercenary

Postby Indinera » Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:17 pm

Thank you for your feedback +::heart

Sadly not that many people have played this game yet, which is a pity imo, as it looks pretty great! +::Thumbup
• Play my latest games! ⬇️⬇️⬇️
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Indinera
Site Admin

Postby Samcry » Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:12 pm

Thank you Rabbit, I'm very grateful that you enjoyed the game, and took the time to write such an interesting feedback.
I'll do my best to answer your questions properly.

Not sure whether that character experience made the difference, or whether my increased experience with this game just made me play it better.

It's probably a bit of both.

I tried leveling Lukas' Landstalker to see if he might learn to swim or something, but at lvl 3, it no longer gives the ability to walk on difficult terrain.

Can you please double-check that? It should definitely still give that ability.

Slash's Goldslash skill never seemed to work, until I finally realized that the range shown by the game is wrong; the target needs to be right next to him.

Actually this is a skill that specifically requires you not to move Slash to use it.
I had omitted this part of the information in the description field, this has now been fixed. Thank you :)

I found "secret" treasures on some of the maps, but not all. It makes me wonder if I missed some. Anyone else playing this?

I hope more people eventually give it a try and learn the basics of the battle system, like you did.
It's a learning curve, but definitely rewarding in the end.
Samcry
Peasant

Postby Rabbit » Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:57 am

I just finished replaying in New Game+ mode. I thought it would be easy with the strong new character, but found new challenges instead. The change in shop items caught me off guard, but I should have anticipated that the other characters would gain less experience when someone else is doing the heavy lifting. I enjoyed the opportunity to try different choices in "who will take a swim?" "who will check out the pyramids?" etc. It is a neat way to learn more about the heroes' personalities.

This time the skills all worked as their descriptions stated. I am not sure what happened in my first playthrough, when a couple of skills definitely did not. I had experienced some random non-reproducible game crashes then, and maybe that messed things up.

One last thing I'm wondering about is the final battle. As things progressed, Bugsy and Krash appeared on the left side (and got squished by 'someone' whose skills seemed designed for those particular targets). But no one else appeared on the right side, even though a staircase is shown in the top right corner. I thought maybe Rhys would show up over there, but he never did.
Rabbit
Mercenary

Postby Samcry » Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:12 pm

Thank you, you really are my number 1 player! +::heart

Rhys is supposed to be killed for good in the battle outside of the castle, that's why he never shows up again.
Samcry
Peasant

Re: Burning Faith

Postby bgillisp » Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:25 pm

So I played about an hour so far. A few early thoughts:

-I did see a few little typos in dialogue in the game. Could be good to read over those lines again. I didn't screenshot them though so can't point them out to you sadly.
-I do wish I had a little more healing in maps 3 and 4. If RNG hates you, you can get poisoned so badly that you will end up with everyone at 1 HP and no healing items or spells left. I know that after map 4 they suggest getting a healer (that was where I stopped for now), but I do think maybe a couple more potions when they start out could be a good idea?
-I'm not a fan of tying EXP rewards to turns to complete a map. That causes struggling players to get even further behind and good players to keep steamrolling ahead. Maybe try other things for that?

That's all I got so far. May have more as I play more.
bgillisp
Mercenary

Previous

Return to Games from other Developers