Laxius Soul Forever Heroes Maiden Maiden Odessa When the Light Dies

Valcarta I: Rise of the Demon

Re: Valcarta I: Rise of the Demon

Postby Aggeliki » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:28 pm

this is really wise Nekos! overprising seems to be the common rule in rpg field lately..i would pay 15 dollars only for an extremely detailed and polished game, with deep story and many features..i think that most veteran players think like me..
Aggeliki
Ranger

Postby Indinera » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:38 pm

Well at least this game is (or should be, since I haven't checked) long. Length is a feature that is so often overlooked by RPG devs, especially lately. To me it remains a criteria of excellence.
• Play my latest games! ⬇️⬇️⬇️
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Indinera
Site Admin

Postby D-Squall » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:43 pm

I've been noticing that there are lots of expensive games lately that doesn't last 10hrs. So I started to think that games should be priced depending on its lenght. Okay, but that doesn't mean that a game must suck in all other features only because it's big.
D-Squall
Aldorlian Legend

Postby Nekos » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:46 pm

In the world of games, people judge games by the first 5 - 10 minutes. A game needs to be executed in a way that catches the audience's attention. If the game doesn't catch people's attention then it doesn't matter how long the game is, people are not going to be interested.

http://extra-credits.net/episodes/starting-off-right/

Extra-credits is a great source for stuff in game development. This talks about how crucial the first 5 minutes of the game are.
Nekos
Bard

Postby Indinera » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:25 pm

Yes I've heard the first minutes are crucial. I do agree, to some extent.
Not all stories can start with a big "hooking" event. But there has to be something, maybe an overall atmosphere, that gives an incentive for the player to continue playing.
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Indinera
Site Admin

Postby Nekos » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:38 pm

WARNING: The Below is an honest opinion. If you disagree then good for you. This is my view and probably a lot of other peoples.

Spoiler: show
So I went to go give it a second shot and look passed it's many flaws... that was until I saw that there is no icon in the start menu. Only the uninstall icon... I had this happen with Eternal Abyss because well, I cocked up but I fixed it... eventually. To find it look in the installation folder.

Ok, my head just exploded...

Congrates, you have managed to make a game that can have it's erm... nevermind... but seriously this game is not protected in the slightest.

I was going to consider looking passed it's flaws and doing an RPG Spotlight on it... but now I have seen it... there is not chance in the slightest it will get one. Here are the ratings and reasons why just to be fair.
Graphics: 1 - Generic RTP, TileE hasn't got any custom tiles at all. Maps have been made really quickly.
Music: 1 - Generic RTP Music, No original BGM, BGS, ME, SE.
Story: N/A - Can't judge the story on anything. I haven't played enough to know the story.
Gameplay: 1 - All the scripts are used in many games. The Day and Night system is really fast.

Overall: 1 out 10. This is not a commercial game. It was clearly rushed and no real effort was put into the game. Maps are either very empty or cramped and very poorly built. For $15 that is too much. Honestly a lot of people wouldn't even put $5 into this.

On another note, the website takes forever to load. No offense, but this developer NEEDS to learn more about the engine. This is a mess! I also see the "Steam Greenlight" You are going to get even more bad things said about it on steam.

I just took a look at what people said on Amaranthia... Yeah... either improve the game completely or give up.
Nekos
Bard

Postby gaby5516 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:26 pm

I agree with all of the problems listed above by other players.
I've been trying to play this game Demo, both ways.
Everytime the game shuts down, I have to re-download it, since there is no shortcut for it.
I find that very annoying.
I don't think I would want to pay $ 15, if I can't leave the game and come back to it, without re-downloading it each time.
I REALLY don't like the day and night thing. I find it very annoying.
Also, the battles are way to close to each other. Can't walk more than 15-20 spaces, without another battle. That makes searching for stuff very frustrating.
The ONE good feature that I really like about the game, is that there are 20 save files. That is awesome.
A little more explaination at the beginning of the game would have been an asset too.
....Just my opinion.......NOT trying to be rude
gaby5516
Bard

Postby AuntIggy » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:37 pm

I'm having no problems with the game. I do agree it needs polishing as words run together and little things like that but as far as the way the game starts it is ok by me. The less said the sooner I can start playing. I do have two things I don't like and that is the monsters are invisible and the frequency in which they strike. Otherwise I'm really enjoying the demo. I can't say if it's worth the money or not as I won't be able to play the entire game but for now I think coming down five dollars would be closer to what the game is worth.

Congrats on your first game! :) and don't give up. Keep trying.
“It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.”
― Abraham Lincoln
AuntIggy
WeaponMaster of Asguaard

Postby Monipsych » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:01 am

Had a game ending error after coming through the fairy forest and clicking on the tent. Has the developer even checked this site to see about making some changes? Agree encountering monsters every 4 steps is a bit much and the day/night feature is just an annoyance. Agree that a longer game is usually better but I could never get through this game as is. And if the developer is not invested in making changes he can't be very invested in this game. My opinion.
Monipsych
Wanderer

Postby Nekos » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:25 am

I think the developer is a bit pissed with the negative feedback. Just a note, negative feedback while it is negative, it is still helpful. You know where and what you can improve on next time.

Like for me people said that without a quest log the game got confusing. I have implemented a Quest Log in my next game
Grammar and Spelling. I have someone testing for each chapter.
People complained that the music got on there nerves. I have no music... yet... No composer at this time... lol... and I have added an options menu to the game.
Nekos
Bard

Postby Nyx » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:26 pm

Sorry to say that I agree with most of the negative reviews. +::cry

AS a person that is now semi-retired and earning 1/2 of what I used to
I will not even spend $5.00 on this game. +::Annoyed

Want to save my few $$ for MM5. +::heart

TY
NYX
Nyx
DreamLord of Myst

Postby Talon » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:16 am

Just popping in to say that the DEMO download has been fixed to add an icon along with the purchased version.

Thanks everyone~
Talon
Wanderer

Postby Nekos » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:01 pm

I am guessing Talon is the creator. Well, some creator not even responding to any of the feedback.
Nekos
Bard

Postby Indinera » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:56 am

While I understand the right of players to express themselves, the creator does not HAVE to reply. If they want, they can, but that's their call. I'm sure Talon will read carefully what's been said and improve for his next game. +::Thumbup
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Indinera
Site Admin

Postby Trex » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:14 am

I have an actual game playing question: I'm in the Web Wood Forest, The Nest. Is something supposed to happen here? When I exit I'm back in overworld. When I got the first crystal it took awhile for the bad guys to respond.
Trex
Bard

PreviousNext

Return to Games from other Developers