Laxius Soul Forever Heroes Maiden Maiden Odessa When the Light Dies

The Book of Shadows

The Book of Shadows

Postby Indinera » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:38 am

THE BOOK OF SHADOWS

$19.99

Image Image

This is a brand new game by B. Gillisp, and one that pays homage to the good old style that a lot of people here love. It's also very long. 40 hours no less, according to the dev!

Please note that the game also comes with a 328-page behemoth guide:
https://secure.bmtmicro.com/cart?CID=45 ... ID=2618061

SUMMARY:

What happens when you and your girlfriend uncover a mysterious book and then accidentally activate it?
That is what happened to Alex and Talia, and now Alex finds himself in the mysterious world of Esteron with the book, while Talia is possessed by something! In addition, others have detected the activation of the book, and want it for their own nefarious purposes.
Can you keep Alex one step ahead of those who want the book while at the same time figure out... where am I?
What does this book do? Why do these other people want it?

FEATURES:

* 40+ hours of engaging gameplay spread out over 9 Chapters
* Play as 11 different characters while you attempt to uncover the mystery and stop those who want the Book for themselves
* Choose what you learn as you level up via the skill learn system
* Fear Level System: become powerful enough and monsters will fear you instead of chase you
* 50 Secret Rooms to find
* Mouse Control and Auto-Saving
* Visible encounters

SCREENSHOTS:

Lost in the game? Please feel free to use this thread to ask your questions! :)
ENJOY!
• Play my latest games! ⬇️⬇️⬇️
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Indinera
Site Admin

Re: New RPG: The Book of Shadows

Postby Madmar » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:11 pm

Looks interesting, can't open it. Keeps trying to open with Adobe Reader +::O_o +::sos
Madmar
Explorer

Postby Indinera » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:12 pm

Madmar wrote:Looks interesting, can't open it. Keeps trying to open with Adobe Reader +::O_o +::sos

Demo?

Try to right-click and "Save as..." maybe?
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Indinera
Site Admin

Postby bgillisp » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:46 pm

Hello! I'm the developer of The Book of Shadows. Let me know if you have any questions, comments or general feedback on the game too.

I should mention that the demo is pretty long for this game, as the demo is the entire Chapter 1 of the game. The demo is not timed, but will end once you complete the first Chapter of the game, regardless of how long that takes you.

Madmar wrote:Looks interesting, can't open it. Keeps trying to open with Adobe Reader +::O_o +::sos

Try the demo button, then select save as. That worked for me in Firefox.
bgillisp
Mercenary

Postby Valdy » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:53 pm

I have been playing the demo for quite a while, and it's still not over yet. A very long demo, this. :)

I like that you can choose in the options for an arrow to appear in places you need to enter. I also like that there are hidden rooms, although they are hard to find. I have only found one room so far.

On the minus side, there is too much talk for my liking, often one discussion after another. I prefer short and to the point. But that's just how I like it. That's why I don't buy visual novels. I love reading books, but don't care for it in games. :) Otherwise, a really interesting and fun game.
Valdy
Explorer

Postby bgillisp » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:05 pm

Vald,

Thanks for the feedback! The arrow was added at suggestion of my testers, and it seems to have been a good idea from what I've seen of others who have played the demo since. For discussions, I will admit it is a bit of a talkie game. I myself am a fan of visual novels so it probably shows some here. Though I am working on a dungeon crawler next so working on making them more to the point in that one.

For secret rooms there are 4 in the demo. 2 in the Earth Caves, 2 in the Pit. If you missed one note that in the full game you'll get a chance to return to the Earth Caves and can find it later, no secret rooms are in dungeons that you can't ever return to, and every dungeon can be returned to (except some that it would make no sense to be able to return to) in Chapter 9 before the last dungeon if desired.
bgillisp
Mercenary

Postby Indinera » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:29 pm

Try the demo button, then select save as. That worked for me in Firefox.

I'm using Firefox and just clicking on the "download" button does the job for me.
That said, "save as..." is usually the problem solver.
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Indinera
Site Admin

Postby Madmar » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:45 pm

Tried Firefox, no luck. Keeps telling me I need to extract the game. +::surrender
Madmar
Explorer

Postby Indinera » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:33 am

Madmar wrote:Tried Firefox, no luck. Keeps telling me I need to extract the game. +::surrender

At what step? When you click on the download button?
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Indinera
Site Admin

Postby Madmar » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:55 pm

Clicked "save as" on the download button on Firefox. As with my edge browser, I got the folder with the files, When I try to open the file to run the game it tells me Acrobat reader can not open the file on either browser. Acrobat reader?? What should I use to open the file please
Madmar
Explorer

Postby bgillisp » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:39 pm

I think you may be running the wrong file. Click on the file called Game that has the dragon icon. That should run it. The other game files are not meant to be ran, as one is a .txt file and one is the encrypted file which cannot be run at all.

If that is not it, or you can't find the file can you post a picture of what you see once you unpack the .exe and try to run the game? That will help us to find the cause of this.
bgillisp
Mercenary

Postby Indinera » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:36 pm

Madmar wrote:Clicked "save as" on the download button on Firefox. As with my edge browser, I got the folder with the files, When I try to open the file to run the game it tells me Acrobat reader can not open the file on either browser. Acrobat reader?? What should I use to open the file please

It's very strange. It's an EXE so when you double click on it it should just launch the install setup. Certainly not involve Adobe.
I'm surprised because unless I'm mistaken there has been similar install files in the past
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Indinera
Site Admin

Postby Indinera » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:38 pm

Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Indinera
Site Admin

Postby Madmar » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:15 pm

I tried to download one more time and extracted the files like before and lo and behold, there were two more files that were not there before. Got it and THANK YOU BOTH. I have no idea what I was doing wrong but this time the folder showed up on my desktop, which it didn't before.
Madmar
Explorer

Postby Kat » Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:07 pm

I have 2 monitors. I want to have the game open on one and the guide on the other one but when the game is full screen I can't move the cursor to the other monitor. Is there any way to do this?
Kat
Wanderer

Next

Return to Games from other Developers