Laxius Soul Forever Heroes Maiden Maiden Odessa When the Light Dies

Champions of Thora

Re: New RPG: Champions of Thora

Postby poetforhim726 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:34 pm

Thanks Del!!! That was the only spot I missed in the maze!!!!! Loving this game. Very challenging! However, why does my game freeze up? I have windows 10. +::heart
poetforhim726
Wanderer

Postby blumyst » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:16 pm

Del,
hi! Yea I see the response from you to other about the Garrs image. Thats great
Ive finished the demo and enjoyed it. I will buy it. Im not getting anywhere
on any other games right now. Debbie
blumyst
Bounty Hunter

Postby RAndrews » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:50 am

I am really enjoying this game, but just thought I would let you know of a minor bug.
I entered the burial grounds, realised I hadn't sorted out the shards and equipment I found in the sacred dungeon, and exited the burial grounds immediately. This put me back outside the ghost ruins! Not a huge issue, but confusing (and in my case slightly time consuming as I had saved after leaving the burial grounds and had to walk all the way back :))
Looks like it happens every time if you exit the burial grounds immediately - haven't tried it if you have made any progress in the bg yet.
RAndrews
Bard

Postby Del » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:05 pm

poetforhim726 wrote:Thanks Del!!! That was the only spot I missed in the maze!!!!! Loving this game. Very challenging! However, why does my game freeze up? I have windows 10. +::heart

I'm happy to know you're loving the game!
How exactly does that freeze occurs? Is there a specific spot, does the game freeze to the point you have to forcefully close it?

blumyst wrote:Del,
hi! Yea I see the response from you to other about the Garrs image. Thats great
Ive finished the demo and enjoyed it. I will buy it. Im not getting anywhere
on any other games right now. Debbie

I'm glad you enjoyed, please let me know if I can help with anything and once you're finished I'd very happy to read your thoughts on the game!

RAndrews wrote:I am really enjoying this game, but just thought I would let you know of a minor bug.
I entered the burial grounds, realised I hadn't sorted out the shards and equipment I found in the sacred dungeon, and exited the burial grounds immediately. This put me back outside the ghost ruins! Not a huge issue, but confusing (and in my case slightly time consuming as I had saved after leaving the burial grounds and had to walk all the way back :))
Looks like it happens every time if you exit the burial grounds immediately - haven't tried it if you have made any progress in the bg yet.

Glad you're enjoying it! Thanks for reporting this! It was a mistake in the teleport event, it's fixed now and it will be up shortly in an updated version. I hope that hasn't kept you from having fun with the game, sorry for the inconvinience.
Del
Bounty Hunter

Postby blumyst » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:37 pm

Del,
One thing I've found is that I cant minimize the game when real life gets in the way.
I usually like to keep the game open but minimized so that all I have to do is open
it and start playing again after I get done with some things in rl. Is there a way to
fix that maybe?
blumyst
Bounty Hunter

Postby Del » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:38 pm

One thing I've found is that I cant minimize the game when real life gets in the way.
I usually like to keep the game open but minimized so that all I have to do is open
it and start playing again after I get done with some things in rl. Is there a way to
fix that maybe?

I believe you can have that set up if you go the Options and set the Full Screen option off, that way you should be able to see the minize tray on the screen. Can you try that and let me know how it goes, please?
Del
Bounty Hunter

Postby MerryX » Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:18 am

Hi - my demo saves did not transfer across to the Full version after I bought it. Do I need to "do" something - or do I have to go through all the introductory part again?

With other games I find my saved games transfer across automatically.

MerryX
MerryX
Explorer

Postby RAndrews » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:39 am

You can copy the save files over.
they are in xxxxxx\www where xxxxx is the main directory you installed into; there is a directory called save.
RAndrews
Bard

Postby Del » Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:08 pm

MerryX wrote:Hi - my demo saves did not transfer across to the Full version after I bought it. Do I need to "do" something - or do I have to go through all the introductory part again?

MerryX

That's a mistake that is already corrected and will be fixed in an updated version soon to be uploaded.
The save files from both the demo and full game should be stored in the same directory so you wouldn't have to do that manually, and that's how I have set it up now. In the meantime you can solve this by doing what RAndrews pointed out.

You go to the demo's folder, find the save folder, copy what is inside it and then go to the full game folder and paste what you copied inside the save folder.

I hope you're enjoying the game, let me know if I can help you with anything else!

RAndrews wrote:You can copy the save files over.
they are in xxxxxx\www where xxxxx is the main directory you installed into; there is a directory called save.

Thanks for the help!
Have you finished the game yet?
Del
Bounty Hunter

Postby blumyst » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:29 pm

Del wrote:
fix that maybe?

I believe you can have that set up if you go the Options and set the Full Screen option off, that way you should be able to see the minize tray on the screen. Can you try that and let me know how it goes, please?

Del,
ok that did work. Sorry Im being a dumb blond again
only cause I am blond
blumyst
Bounty Hunter

Postby Del » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:13 pm

blumyst wrote:
Del wrote:
fix that maybe?

Del,
ok that did work. Sorry Im being a dumb blond again
only cause I am blond

Don't say that! lol
I'm happy to help, just keep enjoying the game! Let me know if I can help with anything else and if you wouldn't mind, once you're finished with it, post here your impressions on it, I'd be glad to have your feedback!
Del
Bounty Hunter

Postby MerryX » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:00 pm

Del wrote:
MerryX wrote:Hi - my demo saves did not transfer across to the Full version after I bought it. Do I need to "do" something - or do I have to go through all the introductory part again?

MerryX

That's a mistake that is already corrected and will be fixed in an updated version soon to be uploaded.
The save files from both the demo and full game should be stored in the same directory so you wouldn't have to do that manually, and that's how I have set it up now. In the meantime you can solve this by doing what RAndrews pointed out.

You go to the demo's folder, find the save folder, copy what is inside it and then go to the full game folder and paste what you copied inside the save folder.

I hope you're enjoying the game, let me know if I can help you with anything else!

RAndrews wrote:You can copy the save files over.

Thanks for the help!
Have you finished the game yet?

Thanks to you both :) - it took me a while to find them as they'd hidden themselves away but I persevered (as RPG Players do!) and managed to sort it out.

So far, I am enjoying the game. I thought the "older" graphics were going to put me off but the story is good and the game works well and smoothly. Now I have to go and do a few jobs before I can settle back into it.

MerryX
MerryX
Explorer

Postby Del » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:44 pm

You're welcome! I'm glad to know it worked out.
Let me know if I can help with anything else.
Del
Bounty Hunter

Re: New RPG: Champions of Thora - My 2 cents

Postby kimo » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:10 pm

My input (all 2 cents worth) in no particular order. The game was mostly enjoyable to play, so please consider that in spite of my critical comments.

End of the game gives closure which some designers forget about. Showing rather than telling was a good choice. I ended the game with characters at level 24 at about 14 hours of play (others could do it in much less time). Game balance was good in early character levels and made me very frugal in spending. But, too much gold/potions were found at later levels when less was needed.

Way too many mazes and also unrealistically long hallways in the prison. The mazes start to look like recycled mazes from previous screens (auto generator used?) with character direction/orientation changed to just seem different. There needs to be an “Egress” spell available (hunter character?) for getting out of the mazes when done with them so the party doesn’t have to retrace steps which became very irritating. Basically, I felt the whole game was just about mazes and therefore lacked variety for me. But the amount and quality of goodies found in the Sacred Mazes made them almost a requirement.

Enemy troop variations also lacked depth and therefore battle strategy was not a major factor in encounters. The same basic groups/combinations were encountered in each dungeon even though each dungeon was somewhat different. ATK, ATK, ATK, and a mass group spell/skill became my commonplace strategy. Although in the final castle it was Group Spell, Group Arrows, ATK, ATK until the final boss battle.

This is a very linear game that doesn’t allow for random exploration except for the sacred dungeons which are just mazes with lots and lots of goodies. Of course, that approach minimizes errors in programming conflicts.

The “Guard” function in battle does not restore HP or MP, so I guess it adds to DEF and/or MDEF. As a result, I only used “guard” a couple of times.

I never used any urns, which were found everywhere.

Placement of goodies specifically useful in a given area was a good choice (i.e. anti-poison, anti-paralysis potions and certain amulets). Some effects seemed to wear off too soon during a battle which made it unnecessary to waste a turn curing a character rather than attacking.

The wandering merchant was a nice touch and I looked forward to him in early parts of the game for MP potions. Having decent weapons/armor available if the player didn’t explore the optional Sacred Mazes was also a good touch.

Misc. note:
Condemned Amulet (MDEF +5) does not change any stats on the status screen.
aloha,
kimo lange
kimo
Bounty Hunter

Re: New RPG: Champions of Thora - My 2 cents

Postby Del » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:08 am

kimo wrote:My input (all 2 cents worth) in no particular order. The game was mostly enjoyable to play, so please consider that in spite of my critical comments.

End of the game gives closure which some designers forget about. Showing rather than telling was a good choice. I ended the game with characters at level 24 at about 14 hours of play (others could do it in much less time). Game balance was good in early character levels and made me very frugal in spending. But, too much gold/potions were found at later levels when less was needed.

Way too many mazes and also unrealistically long hallways in the prison. The mazes start to look like recycled mazes from previous screens (auto generator used?) with character direction/orientation changed to just seem different. There needs to be an “Egress” spell available (hunter character?) for getting out of the mazes when done with them so the party doesn’t have to retrace steps which became very irritating. Basically, I felt the whole game was just about mazes and therefore lacked variety for me. But the amount and quality of goodies found in the Sacred Mazes made them almost a requirement.

Enemy troop variations also lacked depth and therefore battle strategy was not a major factor in encounters. The same basic groups/combinations were encountered in each dungeon even though each dungeon was somewhat different. ATK, ATK, ATK, and a mass group spell/skill became my commonplace strategy. Although in the final castle it was Group Spell, Group Arrows, ATK, ATK until the final boss battle.

This is a very linear game that doesn’t allow for random exploration except for the sacred dungeons which are just mazes with lots and lots of goodies. Of course, that approach minimizes errors in programming conflicts.

The “Guard” function in battle does not restore HP or MP, so I guess it adds to DEF and/or MDEF. As a result, I only used “guard” a couple of times.

I never used any urns, which were found everywhere.

Placement of goodies specifically useful in a given area was a good choice (i.e. anti-poison, anti-paralysis potions and certain amulets). Some effects seemed to wear off too soon during a battle which made it unnecessary to waste a turn curing a character rather than attacking.

The wandering merchant was a nice touch and I looked forward to him in early parts of the game for MP potions. Having decent weapons/armor available if the player didn’t explore the optional Sacred Mazes was also a good touch.

Misc. note:
Condemned Amulet (MDEF +5) does not change any stats on the status screen.

Thank you for the comprehensive feedback!

Using mazes for the Sacred Dungeon was intentional, to pass the idea that the treasures were put in there on purpose, to be well guarded. The option to leave the dungeon avoiding backtrack is a good option though, I'll see if I can put that in.

I tried to keep basic rules for battles, that would spawn from themselves a few variations, like enemies giving different status abnormalities, some of them doing lots of damage but dying quickly making it a good strategy to get rid of them first. Perhaps I should have added more skills to both the party and enemies though, a consideration I'll keep for the next game.

The linearity was also a design choice, really. The idea was to pass on the feeling that this was about a very specific and epic journey to a final destination, and a tiresome one at that, always on the move, always going foward.

I'll have a look at the acccessory, thanks for pointing that out!

Once again, thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it. It helps me to keep improving the games.
I hope you had you good time with Champions of Thora and that you check back for future games.
Del
Bounty Hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Games from other Developers