The Summoner

The Summoner

Postby Indinera » Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:17 am

THE SUMMONER

$14.99

Image Image

This is the first game by Old Eagle.

SUMMARY:

The Summoner is a classic 2D traditional JRPG that puts you on the role o Freya, a simple scholar who was chosen to be The Summoner. It is her journey to endure a pilgrimage while searching for the summons that will ultimately help her in a final battle to prevent the end of the world.

FEATURES:

Classic storyline
Traditional turn-based RPG
Well designed dungeon, not just wandering around, all of the dungeon offers a challenge in order to be explored
5 special dungeons with special items to discover

SCREENSHOTS:

Lost in the game? Please feel free to use this thread to ask your questions! :)
ENJOY!
• Play my latest games! ⬇️⬇️⬇️
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Indinera
Site Admin

Re: New RPG: The Summoner

Postby D-Squall » Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:10 pm

It is her journey to endure a pilgrimage while searching for the summons that will ultimately help her in a final battle to prevent the end of the world.

So, the plot is basically the same as Final Fantasy X. +::biggrin
D-Squall
Aldorlian Legend

Postby gmz26 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:46 pm

What is the game length? Is this more like a dungeon crawler or are the places to travel and towns aside from dungeons?
gmz26
Wanderer

Postby Old Eagle » Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:00 pm

gmz26 wrote:What is the game length? Is this more like a dungeon crawler or are the places to travel and towns aside from dungeons?

Not a dungeon crawler at all, many villages and different locations to explore!
Old Eagle
Peasant

Postby bobcat » Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:20 pm

why can't i enter any buildings in Freya's hometown
bobcat
Peasant

Postby Valdy » Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:09 am

bobcat wrote:why can't i enter any buildings in Freya's hometown

That actually put me off the game. That you see homes, even with their doors open, and you can't enter them. I also couldn't go back into my own house I came out of, which I didn't like.
So I am wondering how basic this game is, and if I would encounter houses in other places that I can't enter either.
Valdy
Explorer

Postby kimo » Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:38 pm

Valdy wrote:

That actually put me off the game. That you see homes, even with their doors open, and you can't enter them. I also couldn't go back into my own house I came out of, which I didn't like.
So I am wondering how basic this game is, and if I would encounter houses in other places that I can't enter either.

There are several locations (houses and caves) I have encountered that cannot be entered until access is triggered. Once you trigger the event, I think all those black doors become available for that location. The game is very basic in its design with no sidequests so far.

I'll write an objective review when I'm done. My biggest issue seems to be game balance. Once you make it out of the forest with the bats and rats, the game gets easier for a while.
aloha,
kimo lange
kimo
Bounty Hunter

Postby kimo » Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:06 pm

Warning! Major programming glitch!

When leaving by the door to south after defeating Abel, then I am blocked by a switch and thereby trapped behind the switch and cannot move. You must use the circle in Abel's room to leave. This is a nightmare because I assumed I could return to the ice caves and try to find an item (witch rod) that has eluded me. Guess who didn't save? +::cry
aloha,
kimo lange
kimo
Bounty Hunter

Postby Old Eagle » Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:53 pm

That has been resolved, sorry for the oversight on this. You can download a new build and it will be fixed.

kimo wrote:Warning! Major programming glitch!

When leaving by the door to south after defeating Abel, then I am blocked by a switch and thereby trapped behind the switch and cannot move. You must use the circle in Abel's room to leave. This is a nightmare because I assumed I could return to the ice caves and try to find an item (witch rod) that has eluded me. Guess who didn't save? +::cry

That has been fixed on the new build, you just have to download again. However, make sure you copy your save files from the saves folder before installing the new build, since you're pretty far into the game, you wouldn't want to lose your progress. I'll make sure that for the next games the save files are stored somewhere else so there won't be a need to worry about save files when updating versions.

I hope you found out that there is a new spike in difficulty later in the game, when the show really starts. +::biggrin
Old Eagle
Peasant

Postby kimo » Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:38 pm

gmz26 wrote:What is the game length? Is this more like a dungeon crawler or are the places to travel and towns aside from dungeons?

I finished the game in about 13 hours and I am a slow player. If you fought everything running after you, it would definitely take longer.
aloha,
kimo lange
kimo
Bounty Hunter

Postby kimo » Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:44 pm

For a mere 2 cents, here are my observations about the game. I understand this is your first game and if you are planning to create future games here are a few things to consider. Again, my opinions and in no particular order.

First, American English is a real pain so I overlook most things in writing. But when I constantly see Unconscioius (Unconscious), it makes me think some game aspects may be lacking. Sure it’s a detail, but that is what great games take into account; an attention to detail.

I consider this a “dungeon crawler” style game despite having “towns.” The towns were just places to restock and upgrade and didn’t offer a real value for exploration. Some people like that, but I prefer a story line, side quests, mystery stuff in barrels and crates, and character personalities that draw me into the story and make me care about them. Or even hate them.

A game demo should make a person want to buy it. Getting attacked at virtually every turn in the forest and being poisoned too often, made me concerned about buying the game. But the game did get easier after the demo section.

Resources were also extremely limited in the beginning of the game. Towards the end, lots of money was on hand (over 10k coins) with nothing to really buy.

More guidance would be preferable for what’s next in the storyline. (i.e. after defeating Abel)

Logic? Where does a zombie in an ice cave find sand for “Sand Throw”? Maybe a “Snow Throw"?

The 5 large mazes (items/equipment in the chests were good) preceding the final boss fight seemed like their purpose was to extend game time. I was just glad I didn’t have to retrace my steps when leaving.

Abrupt game end.

Sparkling heal points were well placed to warn about upcoming “boss” fight.

“Cookie cutter” building interior designs made many interiors seem identical.

Visible enemies were good, but there were often too many to dodge and they mostly ran after me when I tried to dodge them. Excessive game time was spent fighting the same monster troops.

“Cookie cutter” enemies - similar HP and spells but with different bodies; therefore, the battles became predictable because troops were virtually the same. So, no battle strategy was necessary. I used the same multiple effect damage skills for every fight with available boosts added when facing a boss fight.

What is the TP bar for in this game? I never had a character capable of using TP in their actions.

Summoner Ring is supposed to be +8 for all stats but only adds +4.

Again, just my observations for what it’s worth. Hey, at least you completed and distributed this game, which is more than I have done. +::whistle
aloha,
kimo lange
kimo
Bounty Hunter

Postby Old Eagle » Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:07 am

Thank you very much for your feedback, truly.
I'll take all that into consideration for future games. I hope you had a good time with the game, ultimately, that was my goal.
Old Eagle
Peasant

Postby kimo » Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:48 pm

Old Eagle wrote:Thank you very much for your feedback, truly.
I'll take all that into consideration for future games. I hope you had a good time with the game, ultimately, that was my goal.

I did enjoy the game even though I wanted more; which is why I gave you my feedback. I would still rather play this style than a game with puzzles that require a "guide" to solve. If you ever decide on using puzzles in the future, remember that there are people who don't see colors like "normal" people and puzzles should only require common sense to solve with no timed puzzles required to sucessfully complete the game.
aloha,
kimo lange
kimo
Bounty Hunter

Where to replenish health?

Postby jincyk » Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:46 pm

I'm at the beginning of the game, have gone north and gotten a light shield and come back to the village. When I go to the hut and try to click on the bed, nothing happens. The innkeeper says not to be silly because I have a bed. I've tried every house and every part of the hut and nothing.

What am I missing??
jincyk
Explorer

Postby Old Eagle » Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:57 am

Keep venturing into Nighshade Forest, you will see a healing point on it's third map.
Old Eagle
Peasant

Next

Return to Games from other Developers