Laxius Soul Forever Heroes Maiden Maiden Odessa When the Light Dies

Astoria

Astoria

Postby Indinera » Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:58 pm

ASTORIA

$19.99

Image Image

This is a brand new game by brand new developer RETROGAMES.
The style is also slightly different from the "classic" RPG, as this is a SRPG, reminiscent of Shining Force, Fire Emblem and even Final Fantasy Tactics. Try the demo to see if you like it!

Please also note that the game also comes with strategy guide:
https://secure.bmtmicro.com/cart?CID=45 ... ID=2618061

Make sure to download the guide sample for basic knowledge of the game:
http://aldorlea.org/Guides/ASTORIASAMPLE.pdf

SUMMARY:

Embark on a vast quest throughout the world trying to defeat the dangerous Skandar and his hordes of blood-thirsty foes.
Meet friends of different races, strengths and weaknesses, such as Elves and Harpies, and compose an army of powerful heroes.
Astoria is an SRPG in the classic style of Shining Force, Fire Emblem, Bahamut Lagoon, Feda the Emblem of Justice and many others in the genre.

FEATURES:

* 23 exciting battles of increasing complexity and difficulty
* 11 playable characters with different profiles, strengths and weaknesses
* A New Game+ offering the ultimate challenge for tactics experts: all characters from the start (that you were able to find in Normal Game), no item shops, and more damaging enemies. You also get more experience boost for completing a battle fast
* A Book of Records to keep track of your best local and global performances, as well as the overall length of your campaign (global records only apply in Normal Game and as long as you haven't lost a battle)
* Skills that evolve to Level 2 and 3 depending on use: choose which skills to favor in battle, resulting in unlimited combinations, strategies and ways of playing
* Pure tactics and strategy: the troops, both allies and enemies alike, never do a critical and their damage are estimated before an action is decided, plus only a few selected enemies can evade, resulting in no miss most of the times -> pure strategy!
* Adjustable Battle Animations Speed: 4 different levels for maximum enjoyment!
* Mouse Control
* Great Replay Value! While the main quest lasts about 20 hours, you may want to replay this game over and over to refine your strategy and/or discover new ways of playing, not to mention New Game+

SCREENSHOTS:

Lost in the game? Please feel free to use this thread to ask your questions! :)
ENJOY!
• Play my latest games! ⬇️⬇️⬇️
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Indinera
Site Admin

Re: New RPG: Astoria

Postby Euphoniac » Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:53 pm

Great, "Astoria: The Holders of Power Saga" is finally available on Aldorlea. Wait, this is another Astoria instead? Well, I guess some developers don't watch the market and even fail to do a simple Google search before naming their first commercial games. On the other hand, what do I expect from a developer whose company name is so generic that even an extensive Google search doesn't tell me anything (and thus tells me everything)? At least this game doesn't seem to be another one of Del's crappy games (I hope).
Euphoniac
Peasant

Postby Angie90 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:03 am

It was my first time playing an SRPG game. To be honest I didn't know what to expect because the description doesn't really say much. I downloaded the demo, sadly I was very disappointed. It gives you no information about the characters as the game begins, so it was very confusing. There was a bug at the very first battle, and it didn't load the background. It was completely blank! Also, the characters died in the first battle because I couldn't really move around, or attack. So in conclusion it was game over before it even started...
Angie90
Peasant

Postby Indinera » Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:03 am

Angie90 wrote:It was my first time playing an SRPG game. To be honest I didn't know what to expect because the description doesn't really say much. I downloaded the demo, sadly I was very disappointed. It gives you no information about the characters as the game begins, so it was very confusing. There was a bug at the very first battle, and it didn't load the background. It was completely blank! Also, the characters died in the first battle because I couldn't really move around, or attack. So in conclusion it was game over before it even started...

Message forwarded to the dev. Are you sure the game was installed properly? It seems a lot of issues so early on.
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Indinera
Site Admin

Postby Indinera » Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:24 am

I'm told this has been fixed, if you'd like to redownload it and give it another try.
The game now also features a small "tutorial battle".
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Indinera
Site Admin

Postby Angie90 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:10 am

Indinera wrote:I'm told this has been fixed, if you'd like to redownload it and give it another try.
The game now also features a small "tutorial battle".

I'm sorry and thank you for the interest, but I don't think this is appropriate for the potential customers to beta test the games after they are already on sale. As for the developer, I don't want to discourage them but they should make sure that the game is playable and polished before releasing it. Finally, I think that this is something Aldorlea as a publisher should pay more attention to. I will gladly wait for their next game, hoping it will be better! :)
Angie90
Peasant

Postby Indinera » Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:18 am

Thanks for your reply. I totally understand your position. That said, sometimes a silly mistake can occur at launch (like the ever-standing "missing file"), that doesn't necessarily mean that the game as a whole hasn't been betatested. Up to you though.
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Indinera
Site Admin

Postby bgillisp » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:41 pm

As someone who is on the RPGMaker forums too, I should point out that if the devs use MV or MZ and the directory of the game has any spaces, strange errors will occur. This is something no dev can prevent or stop since you can rename the directory. The best the dev could do is to add a note to never put spaces in the directory name for the game when installing it.

As for why that rule, its due to the multi-OS feature of MV and MZ. Windows is the only OS that allows spaces, even though for compatibility with other OS's it really shouldn't.

Now I did check out the demo file myself and the default name had no spaces so doubt that was it, but it is something we will all need to keep in mind as more games made in MV and MZ get released.
bgillisp
Mercenary

Postby Indinera » Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:14 pm

Windows is the only OS that allows spaces,

But doesn't it just affect non windows systems then?
I mean, I believe most of the Aldorlea community is on windows +::Dunno
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Indinera
Site Admin

Postby crawfors » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:02 pm

YOu guys ready for another WOlfs Moon Studios game or what?

LOL
crawfors
Explorer

Postby Indinera » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:49 pm

Sure, why not, but not the appropriate thread to discuss that xD
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Indinera
Site Admin

Postby bgillisp » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:50 pm

Indinera wrote:
Windows is the only OS that allows spaces,

But doesn't it just affect non windows systems then?
I mean, I believe most of the Aldorlea community is on windows +::Dunno

Sadly no. It affects all OS's you run it on. The way RPGMaker implemented it is it requires you to follow the rule of the strictest OS, which means the directory of the game cannot have spaces at all, regardless of what OS you are on.

I think it was a requirement of the NW.js software it uses that it has to use that rule, if they made an exception for windows they would have had to totally redo everything in the engine to not use NW.js for Windows if I understand it right.
bgillisp
Mercenary

Postby Indinera » Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:45 am

I hope you understand it wrong because Forever Heroes has a space in its title lol
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Indinera
Site Admin

Postby bgillisp » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:06 pm

Remember the save bug Forever Heroes had at release? I think it was due to that and you fixed it by making a change (which might have been that). As it is I put the game in the directory foreverheroes so it has no way to hit an issue with me.

But it is something we'll all want to watch going forward. But anywho was only posting it in case someone hit an odd issue here to check what directory they installed the game to. Anyone played this game and have thoughts on it? I downloaded the demo but have not had time to try it yet myself.
bgillisp
Mercenary

Postby jkweath » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:58 pm

bgillisp wrote:Remember the save bug Forever Heroes had at release? I think it was due to that and you fixed it by making a change (which might have been that). As it is I put the game in the directory foreverheroes so it has no way to hit an issue with me.

But it is something we'll all want to watch going forward. But anywho was only posting it in case someone hit an odd issue here to check what directory they installed the game to. Anyone played this game and have thoughts on it? I downloaded the demo but have not had time to try it yet myself.

I don't mean to derail the thread further, but I've wandered for awhile what issues you say can be caused by naming conventions with spaces in the name.

All of my games are made in MV/MZ, all have a space in the name, and AFAIK I have never had an issue reported that could be traced back to the naming convention.

The only major save bug I'm aware of is that you can't save your game if it's installed to the Program Files folder, and that's only if you use an installer program as opposed to having your game uploaded on Steam. The fix is as simple as changing the default install directory (mine is the Documents folder) and maybe warning people not to change it to Program Files.

Edit: Thought I'd add that my latest game, Celestial Hearts, was the first one I also released on Mac (since I was finally able to afford a Macbook to playtest on). Once again, space in the name, but no issues AFAIK during play-testing nor with saving the game.
jkweath
Bard

Next

Return to Games from other Developers