Laxius Soul Forever Heroes Maiden Maiden Odessa When the Light Dies

Rainbow Dawn

Re: New RPG: Rainbow Dawn

Postby RAndrews » Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:17 am

Indi, you are my go to provider of games (and I buy a lot of them!) because I know I can rely on the support. It's not your fault if the developers let bugs creep through. I am an ex-software developer, though of boring financial stuff, and I understand perfectly that you cannot try out every possible sequence of key strokes that a user might make - and the bugs can be that specific!

Please don't take it to heart that someone is upset with the developer and decides to take it out on you - it's not fair in anybody's world.
RAndrews
Bard

Postby Indinera » Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:24 am

Thank you very much +::Thumbup
• Play my latest games! ⬇️⬇️⬇️
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Indinera
Site Admin

Postby crawfors » Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:40 pm

Indi you do a great job and are always super responsive/ helpful to everyone. We all appreciate you.

DOn't let that get to you.

We can all understand where a customer is coming from that they don't want to deal with bugs or an unreleased games- but there are some realities--
1. bugs happen ( sometimes by no fault of the developer themselves) things get distorted in downloads all the time.
2. Indi runs a great site and there's a reason people keep coming back here. Your customer support is unparalleled . (sometimes I think people have forgotten this)
3. Many of the devs here aren't doing it as a profession- it's a passion project that they're trying to get better & better at- now that doesn't mean put out a sloppy game but some of the people on here it's their first game!!-- they made it because they enjoy it and want to share a story- not because they thought they would get rich and want to steal your money

I'm not saying give passes to developers, but have some patience and realize things happen

Shane
crawfors
Explorer

Postby jkweath » Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:46 pm

Angie90 wrote:The only developers that I am fully content with so far are, OrfeasGameStudio and JKWEATH . Also the Ulitma Adventum game dev seemed promising and willing to improve... +::Annoyed

Thank you for the support :)

I understand where the customers are coming from. Buying a new game you're excited about, only to have it be unplayable for one reason or another, is frustrating. I've been there plenty of times myself.

However, I will say that I wish Aldorlea's customers were a little more aware of where the games they're playing are coming from. Almost every game on this site was made by a single developer, usually inexperienced, and usually on a tight budget (my first game, Mari and the Black Tower, had a ~$50 budget for the engine and that was it).

When you buy, say, a AAA game or even an indie game that came from a legit studio, they often have entire teams of QA testers whose whole job is to do nothing but play and attempt to break the game. Even then these games still ship with bugs. Needless to say, few devs around here, aside from myself, Indy or maybe Del, can afford a QA tester or are lucky enough to find one willing to do it for free. Obviously we test the games ourselves (at least I *hope* the other devs here do), but there's only so much we can do.

In my own experience, I was lucky enough to hire one person to play the first half of Celestial Hearts, and I found a wonderful person on Steam who 100% finished it free of charge. Even after that, and after my own 2-3 rounds of playtesting, Celestial Hearts *still* shipped with 2 game-breaking bugs that none of us caught.

I'm not excusing the developers for releasing buggy games, don't get me wrong. Each dev needs to do their due diligence and make sure they're releasing a product that actually works. But when I hear people around here say "I didn't come here to be a beta tester!" it saddens me. That's not our intent. All we can do is listen to your bug report and try to fix it ASAP.

Sometimes I wish there was a tutorial for new RPGMaker devs on how to properly playtest their games. I think a lot of bugs could be prevented if devs would test-run their games after deployment instead of only through the software, as lots of bugs (such as missing files, which is a big one) only show up *after* deployment.
jkweath
Bard

Postby Indinera » Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:53 pm

Even then these games still ship with bugs.

That was my point from the start. It happens with every game (even from AAA companies) and every gaming portal (even the biggest ones).
Most devs here are passionate (myself included) and do their best to release clean games.
I also can't stress enough how sometimes a bug is just a silly omission and can be fixed really fast (within a couple of hours usually). This doesn't equate to "the game hasn't been tested". And like crawfors said, there are also potential problems arising from different computers, with different programs installed, different anti-viruses etc. Sometimes something works totally fine on the dev's PC but doesn't on another PC. It's a difficult job and the best we can offer is fast response and support, which I believe every dev here does.

Obviously we test the games ourselves (at least I *hope* the other devs here do), but there's only so much we can do.

Oh well, I must have played Forever Heroes 20-30 times in total, and quite a lot of these, the entire game +::surrender

as lots of bugs (such as missing files, which is a big one) only show up *after* deployment.

True, it's a tricky one this one. And still that cannot guarantee it will work on any PC and configuration.
• Play my latest games! ⬇️⬇️⬇️
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Indinera
Site Admin

Postby HRTDRN » Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:49 pm

Hey guys, thanks for the support, it really means a lot.
Before anything else, I would recommend you re-download the game, as the version in the download was the older version, and not the newer one. You should be able to move your save file over, but if not, then I apologize.
I haven't had anyone have the issue with the first bug beforehand, I would recommend downloading the newer version.
You can also message me on Discord if you want to go over anything directly.
HRTDRN
Peasant

Postby ZuluKat » Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:32 pm

I apologize for sending the screen shot to you Indi. I know you are busy working on your own stuff. My comments though were made to the developer. This is the "BEST" site for the BEST games for RPGs!!! Your games are by far superior in quality and creativity. I figured the developer would be on top of watching the forum.

@ developer: No problems with demo, just the purchased download. I have a gaming laptop which runs fine with my other games. No other running programs except those that run in background which are just a couple. I don't think that has any effect on the crashes. Crashes occurred during boss battles and witch area, and graveyard. Also you cannot get out of the stair area in the graveyard when you come back up through there. Just so you know I have still been able to play just saving a lot which kind of sucks but at least I don't get too aggravated. If there are any other issues I will let you know on Discord.
ZuluKat
Explorer

Postby TommyD » Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:52 pm

I purchased and downloaded the game just now (after the dev said a different version was uploaded).

Had same issue as ZuluCat - once I did the blue flower/Flora thing my character is now invisible. Tried saving/restarting but still have the problem.

@ZuluCat - did you figure it out?

Thanks!
TommyD
Wanderer

Postby HRTDRN » Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:43 pm

ZuluKat wrote:I apologize for sending the screen shot to you Indi. I know you are busy working on your own stuff. My comments though were made to the developer. This is the "BEST" site for the BEST games for RPGs!!! Your games are by far superior in quality and creativity. I figured the developer would be on top of watching the forum.

@ developer: No problems with demo, just the purchased download. I have a gaming laptop which runs fine with my other games. No other running programs except those that run in background which are just a couple. I don't think that has any effect on the crashes. Crashes occurred during boss battles and witch area, and graveyard. Also you cannot get out of the stair area in the graveyard when you come back up through there. Just so you know I have still been able to play just saving a lot which kind of sucks but at least I don't get too aggravated. If there are any other issues I will let you know on Discord.

I'm so sorry you've been having issues with the game crashing. I have not had that issue on my end, or my other playtesters end, but I will update you as soon as I possible can.
The issue seems to be a memory related issue, so it may take a little while to fix, and is present on certain computers.
Again, sorry it's been a problem.
Last edited by HRTDRN on Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HRTDRN
Peasant

Postby HRTDRN » Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:46 pm

TommyD wrote:I purchased and downloaded the game just now (after the dev said a different version was uploaded).

Had same issue as ZuluCat - once I did the blue flower/Flora thing my character is now invisible. Tried saving/restarting but still have the problem.

Thanks!

Working on it right now.
HRTDRN
Peasant

Postby HRTDRN » Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:59 pm

TommyD wrote:I purchased and downloaded the game just now (after the dev said a different version was uploaded).

Thanks!

Hey everyone, I realized that I made a huge mistake.
Please download this map file:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/js4hmp3r ... .json/file
And put it into the www/data folder in the game, replace the old file.
If you are having any more issues, please message me on discord @ heartdrain (Jake!)#4123
Also, I'm planning on dropping another file that should fix the problems found in all of the maps. I'm working as hard as I possibly can to get this fixed.
HRTDRN
Peasant

Postby HRTDRN » Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:27 pm

Hey folks! I promise this will be the last post here for a little while, but I want to make sure all of these issues are ironed out ASAP. I'm sorry for posting so much on here/the forum.

You can download this file, unzip it to the main www/data folder, and it should fix the bugs that were present beforehand.
https://www.mediafire.com/file/phemwz0s ... s.zip/file

Again, I apologize for the issues that Rainbow Dawn was having, I did have someone playtest the game, but things do happen that are out of my control. Again, if you have any issues, I'm here to talk in PM's or on discord. I'm also in the discord server now, so you can also message me on here.

I hope you folks enjoy the game. Image
HRTDRN
Peasant

Postby blumyst » Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:23 pm

Theres always ione that has to whine about a game no matter wqhat. Almost as if they dont read whats
posted in these forums. They just want to rant and rave about something. Indy yes you do work hard at
this site and all and all of you developeres DO have people beta testing these games BEFORE they
come out. Theres always going to be something wrong and alot of times it will be on the gamers
end. I dont mind helping out a bit if i get directions like I helped Del. That was kind of fun and thats
was after I bought his game. Works better that way. There IS life outside these games so teh gamers
NEED to remember that! They need to CHILL!
blumyst
Bounty Hunter

Postby RAndrews » Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:21 am

HRTDRN wrote:
You can download this file, unzip it to the main www/data folder, and it should fix the bugs that were present beforehand.
https://www.mediafire.com/file/phemwz0s ... s.zip/file

So are you saying that we need to download a separate file to make the game work? I'm holding off on this until the issues are fixed, and I don't expect to have to download several files to do it.

I understand that this is a bug fix for those who already have the game, but the fixes should, IMO, be incorporated into the main download for those who haven't got it yet - forgive the question if they already are, but it's not clear from your post.
RAndrews
Bard

Postby TommyD » Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:16 pm

I downloaded the and applied the files above, and that seems to be fixed previous problems I was having.

However, once I arrive at Last Hope Settlement my character is again no longer visible and I can't play it anymore.

Hopefully there's a fix/path for this issue as well.

Thanks.
TommyD
Wanderer

PreviousNext

Return to Games from other Developers