Laxius Soul Forever Heroes Maiden Maiden Odessa When the Light Dies

Laxius vs Millennium

Re: Laxius vs Millennium

Postby rulezz » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:23 pm

I just beat the TBOL a day or so ago and I will make a comment about it in the topic I started a week ago or so when I will have time..

But to be short: TBOL is the best amongst the commercial games(of indi) I played, the only one, I actually was happy to spend on :)
It had downsides, but it was enjoyable at the very least :D

And meh, I miss the craziness like in lax team to the rescue or some spooky stuff to gore up the scenes like in LP3(still remember tons of ways people/monsters were killed from there, was one of the best animated kills on rpg maker back in the time IMO) D: But I guess it's hard to implement into commercial games due to the 'morals' or so D: I guess that's why all my fav rpgmaker games are freeware XD

And I trust you(indi) on the good sales of millenium, aveyond(which I absolutely disliked) had good sales too, but it is too casual IMO(just my opinion, don't forget, not telling it should be that way)

TBOL had some interesting challenging aspects, may even have needed a bit of strategy on some battles, and it was actually possible to lose(at least on side stuff, main wasn't too hard, unless you count encountering the dharma's imps for the first time lol), which is thumbs up...
To compare: I could beat LF1/2 without EVER saving, if I didn't need to turn off PC(basically I never lost, was way too easy)
In LP series I saved before almost anything that seemed like a non random encounter and sometimes I even had to try to beat some boss(or even mini boss for gods sake XD) 10's of times, or even backtrack and lvl a bit to learn a better skill or even change characters for the specific battle(especially in LP3), and after beating the boss, you actually felt the satisfaction of completed challenge :D

Maybe I need to try to add challenge manually though... like beating the game only using Hans for TBOL... he is the most valuable ally comparable to nagam after all lol :D
rulezz
Peasant

Postby Cassiopeia » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:09 pm

@rulezz:
I just skimmed through those very long posts now, but what I saw was enough to see that I ABSOLUTELY disagree!
Not only is the LF trilogy on the very top of my favorite list. I also always found that LF IS pretty well balanced. And the side quests are VERY worth doing them!
It's all a matter of taste. For you the most important thing in an RPG is fighting, and obviously all fighting should be difficult and challenging.
For me fighting is part of it, but if it was all just about that I'd drop the game. Sidequests spice up a game, and I'm not just doing them for a good reward, but because it's fun to find out how to solve them. For me solving a tricky sidequest is at least as satisfying as succeeding in a hard fight.
And when the casual fights are difficult all the time, then I get annoyed.
Also I didn't find the LF plot predictable at all! No way! I found the story much more thrilling and compelling than LP.
And last but not least - I can't see where either LF or MM are childish. I think I can talk for a lot of people out there when I say that those series are among the best old school RPG games ever. If you don't agree - well, then Aldorlea's games might just not be the right thing for you.
Cassiopeia
Hero

Postby Tomas » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:40 am

rulezz: So you want a true challenge? And have you played Dreamscape? Because on Pure Nightmare, it's by far the most difficult game I've ever played.
Tomas
Ranger

Postby rulezz » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:40 pm

@Cassiopeia:

Huh, what? Oo You understood me totally wrong... fighting is important, yes, but I find the plot to be most important + side stuff being interesting is usually even more important than fine fighting.
It's just that LP/LF series is not the type of game I search for plot specifically(it was never indi's strong point, the characters + their development is what he always did great)... LP series contained a HUGE, interesting world, full of sidequests and side bosses(the challenging stuff)
Plot as I already said in LP/LF is a semi strong 4 or a veeery weak 5(some moments deserve a 5, but considering game length, it's not the plot that kept me playing the LP for weeks straight), when I look for plot type games, I seek stuff like a blurred line or the way.

An easy way to compare - LP series were pretty much like final fantasy on rpg maker for me(a little above average plot, but huge world with lots of unique and actually developing characters + side stuff to keep you busy along with a few puzzles and minigames)

Tomas wrote:rulezz: So you want a true challenge? And have you played Dreamscape? Because on Pure Nightmare, it's by far the most difficult game I've ever played.

If I only wanted challenge, I would play one of those arena typed rpg's on high difficulty(you know, the ones where you simply kill 1 wave of mobs after another, while buying some stuff inbetween) or I could even make it myself, I have the rpg maker too, I am too out of time to make a game only for fighting for myself lol(+ I will get bored of the game before I even start playing it myself) XD

But no, I want either one of those:
1) Huge world, lots of characters(not a char, as in someone you recruit and he does 1 phrase in the whole game, but actually a character, whom you see grow and/or change throughout the game) and challenging/interesting side stuff (either one is fine, if you can make an easy, but fun to play side stuff, it's good too, like chocobo minigame in FF7 or card game in FF8).
Good examples are FF series, LP series, LF series(slightly weaker than LP tho), also phantasy star(if we count realy oldschool stuff, it was a good start, was even stronger than the first chapters of FF to some aspect)

2) Strong, interesting plot, which keeps you playing even if the gameplay is weak to say the least.
Good examples for this are rpgs such as a blurred line, frozen world or the way.
rulezz
Peasant

Postby Cassiopeia » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:19 pm

Well, the thing is, you can't order games just the way you want like you'd order food in a restaurant. You just gotta take what's available. +::Dunno
Cassiopeia
Hero

Postby Indinera » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:00 pm

My best plots IMO are Asguaard and The Book of Legends, although the chap7, 11 and 13 in the LF saga are up there too (still IMO of course). MM4 and 5 are pretty nice plot-wise and Sylia has some interesting twists.
Other games like Dreamscape or 3 Stars shine more in the gameplay. It's all about what you want to achieve! :)
• Play my latest games! ⬇️⬇️⬇️
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Indinera
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Millennium 4: Beyond Sunset - Help and Questions