Laxius Soul Forever Heroes Maiden Maiden Odessa When the Light Dies

Martial Art Technic: Kicking Your Enemy Out of the Ring

Re: Martial Art Technic: Kicking Your Enemy Out of the Ring

Postby Indinera » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:09 am

Wow. I was curious as to how this system mechanic was going to work, but it sounds like a mini-game of sorts to me now. Any chance we can get some spoiler-free shots of how the battle works?

It will look very similar to the usual battle system. The only thing is that every character will have a "trick" skill (not sure yet of the name) that when they cast basically represent them trying to have their opponent leave the ring one way or another. Of course speed will be important since if you are fast you can do the skill before even getting a hit.

On another note, I'm thinking Jezabel vs. Meryll. Why? Beautiful tamer vs. beastly brute. They're in the ring, Meryll thinks she's an easy target, begins to rush at her, and then, BAM! Jezabel puts on the speed and quickly gets out of the way, with Meryll beelining for the edge. He stops, she kicks, he's out. I kinda picture this scenario since Meryll strikes me as the big, strong, but stupid bully type.

Ahah, that would be a great win!

Hey, are the personalities and fighting styles of the Mystrock Lords going to reflect how we (the players) should plan for them?

what do you mean?
• Play my latest games! ⬇️⬇️⬇️
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Indinera
Site Admin

Postby Kirin » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:03 am

Ah, I suppose my last question was a little confusing, but I guess since now I know how the ring mechanic works I guess I should clarify that last question:

Will each Mystrock Lord have a different kind of preference for pushing their opponent out of the ring? Like for instance, Lady May would be a speedier type so she would try to use her speed for the advantage, while Meryll is a heavy hitter and would just try to use brute force to force the player out of the ring. I guess that bottom line is: will each Mystrock Lord need a different strategy each to win?
Kirin
Mercenary

Postby Indinera » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:18 am

Will each Mystrock Lord have a different kind of preference for pushing their opponent out of the ring? Like for instance, Lady May would be a speedier type so she would try to use her speed for the advantage, while Meryll is a heavy hitter and would just try to use brute force to force the player out of the ring. I guess that bottom line is: will each Mystrock Lord need a different strategy each to win?

Yes. In fact I need to clarify. You can STILL "kill" your opponent to win (this is actually what Merryll will try to do).
Kicking out of the ring is just an alternative. When using this skill, you will have to pick among several choices to try and adapt your strategy to the enemy. For instance:
"wait near the border"
"try to have them trip with your foot"
"try to push them"
etc.
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Indinera
Site Admin

Postby MiladyDW777 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:15 am

I keep forgetting about that forum thread back in spring of 2011 (I'VE SLEPT SINCE THEN, PEOPLE!!!) explaining the 169 fights. That it isn't going to be 13 and done. And it is boggling my tiny little brain... +::O_o

So it looks like our gang, with the possible exceptions of The Bear (fist expert) and Old Suzuki (evasion expert), needs to be adept at BOTH methods? That will certainly help keep things interesting.

As for Jezebel... Fine, I won't throw her under the bus just yet. I will say I really REALLY hope she redeems herself in a significant way, or has some kind of "I've had a bad attitude and need to apologize" epiphany. Failing that, if she and Lady May would like to swap sides... +::lol
"Boring and bloated speech incoming in three, two, one..."

"AHAHA YOU SUCK!!!"
MiladyDW777
Explorer

Postby littlebro » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:13 pm

Indinera wrote:Yes. In fact I need to clarify. You can STILL "kill" your opponent to win (this is actually what Merryll will try to do).
Kicking out of the ring is just an alternative. When using this skill, you will have to pick among several choices to try and adapt your strategy to the enemy. For instance:
"wait near the border"
"try to have them trip with your foot"
"try to push them"
etc.

All this sounds very complicated. Got a feeling that average players like me are going to do our heads in trying to figure this out. Which isn't a hint for you to change anything, just a little bleat of anxiety.
littlebro
Ranger

Postby Tomas » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:25 pm

My bet is that Jack will be very good at this way of getting rid of his opponents. You know, once someone masters "Chicken Out" skill, then evading Merryll should be easy...
Also, I expect Merryll to be the most susceptible to this tactics, he's all about brute strength.

One thing that is not clear to me - will this skill only be useable by the players, or the Mystrock warriors can use it too? And will it matter how the fight is won? I mean, does kicking someone out yields less prestige than "beating" the opponent?

P.s. The Old Suzuki might have a few surprising tricks up his sleeves, too.
Tomas
Ranger

Postby Aggeliki » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:39 am

what about Hirado? he is a monk after all! he may gain a special confusion or dazzle move that will throw the bad guy over the ring +::biggrin

i guess that if Marine's thirteen gain some status giving techniques they will do some nice tricks to the other team +::wizard

like Salome singing a luring song,Abu confuse them,Hirado stun them by hiting chakras etc... +::biggrin
Aggeliki
Ranger

Postby Indinera » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:11 am

I keep forgetting about that forum thread back in spring of 2011 (I'VE SLEPT SINCE THEN, PEOPLE!!!) explaining the 169 fights. That it isn't going to be 13 and done. And it is boggling my tiny little brain... +::O_o

It's not 169 fights in a row. The characters interact with each other and the audience in between. It's a very long day aha.
There is also a break halfway through. It's basically a gigantic arena and it will require a lot of work on my side to deal with the interactivity, probably even more than what I did with TBOL.

So it looks like our gang, with the possible exceptions of The Bear (fist expert) and Old Suzuki (evasion expert), needs to be adept at BOTH methods? That will certainly help keep things interesting.

Yes, when a character is decent at both but awesome at none, it will require some thinking on your side.
Also, obviously, you can't neglect gauging who is your opponent. Tricking Lady May will be harder than tricking Merryll even if you are using a tricking expert.

As for Jezebel... Fine, I won't throw her under the bus just yet. I will say I really REALLY hope she redeems herself in a significant way, or has some kind of "I've had a bad attitude and need to apologize" epiphany.

Hmmm I never said she will redeem herself in any way. I never even said she'll be in the Arena. What I said or am saying now is that her body stats make her more likely to do good with tricking than fighting.

Failing that, if she and Lady May would like to swap sides...

Maybe Lady May is secretly in love with Dragon... +::O_o +::surrender
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Indinera
Site Admin

Postby Indinera » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:12 am

All this sounds very complicated. Got a feeling that average players like me are going to do our heads in trying to figure this out. Which isn't a hint for you to change anything, just a little bleat of anxiety.

Ahah, you're average? I'm sure you are better than that. Anyone who finishes LF is. +::biggrin

Anyway - it may take a bit of experimenting, but I'm sure you'll learn how to use it, using what you know of your enemy. A tall and heavy guy is easier to make trip than push out of the ring. Just an example. +::whistle
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Indinera
Site Admin

Postby Indinera » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:15 am

My bet is that Jack will be very good at this way of getting rid of his opponents. You know, once someone masters "Chicken Out" skill, then evading Merryll should be easy...
Also, I expect Merryll to be the most susceptible to this tactics, he's all about brute strength.

Brainless Merryll, is that what you think? Is he going to lose all or almost all of his matches? +::O_o

One thing that is not clear to me - will this skill only be useable by the players, or the Mystrock warriors can use it too?

They can do that too. And the one doing it first (ie faster) has an obvious edge.
Lady May for instance will do it for sure against people like Wolfgang or the Bear (oohhh I spoiled it xD)

And will it matter how the fight is won? I mean, does kicking someone out yields less prestige than "beating" the opponent?

It doesn't matter except for the crowd reaction of course. Of course everybody will want to avoid being damaged too badly too, since otherwise they will be in a less good shape for the next fight.

P.s. The Old Suzuki might have a few surprising tricks up his sleeves, too.

+::O_o +::biggrin +::Thumbup
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Indinera
Site Admin

Postby Indinera » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:17 am

what about Hirado? he is a monk after all! he may gain a special confusion or dazzle move that will throw the bad guy over the ring +::biggrin

Maybe, maybe not.

i guess that if Marine's thirteen gain some status giving techniques they will do some nice tricks to the other team +::wizard

That's why she wants the Bear to train them.

like Salome singing a luring song,Abu confuse them,Hirado stun them by hiting chakras etc..

True magic being forbidden, Salomé singing will end up her being punched badly in the face and the crowd raging in satisfaction (especially if Merryll - a crowd's favorite - does it). I dunno how Abu could confuse them aha. Hirado's technic may work if he can master that.
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Indinera
Site Admin

Postby Aggeliki » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:09 pm

oops! i've totally forgotten about the main rule of the showdown:only fists!! :( +::fear
hmmm..i guess i have to replay all the episodes in order to get into the story +::sos +::music

so...the story will unfold in only one long day?that will be really interesting from the director's point of view and the player's too!!
what about the sidequests?they will be assigned and completed during the break?..i really can't imagine how this will be!!so intriguing!! +::Dance +::clap
Aggeliki
Ranger

Postby littlebro » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:31 pm

Of course everybody will want to avoid being damaged too badly too, since otherwise they will be in a less good shape for the next fight.

Total panic sets in. do you mean that this will be like the LF arena where you couldn't heal up instead of being like TBOL (and LP) arena, where you were automatically healed at the end of each fight?
littlebro
Ranger

Postby Tomas » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:53 pm

Indinera wrote:Brainless Merryll, is that what you think? Is he going to lose all or almost all of his matches? +::O_o

Well, winning the Showdown won't be possible without the Mystrock team loosing most of the matches, right? So yes, I expect Merryll to loose often...

Will other stats (such as Strength) play some role in how easilly can the character be kicked out of the ring?
Tomas
Ranger

Postby Indinera » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:47 am

so...the story will unfold in only one long day?

sort of. the game covers the whole week *before* the showdown though. and of course it's not 100% sure yet there will be a showdown. who knows? +::whistle

that will be really interesting from the director's point of view and the player's too!!

interactivity galore xD

what about the sidequests?they will be assigned and completed during the break?..i really can't imagine how this will be!!so intriguing!!

if sidequests there are, they could be done anytime, i guess. maybe jack will ask you to make sure he wins all 13 of his duels and THIS is a sidequest? +::biggrin
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Indinera
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Millennium 5: The Battle of the Millennium - Help and Questions