Laxius Soul Forever Heroes Maiden Maiden Odessa When the Light Dies

Atonement: Scourge of Time

Atonement: Scourge of Time

Postby Indinera » Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:35 pm

ATONEMENT: SCOURGE OF TIME

$9.99 only!!!

Image Image

This game is published by New Reality Game, of Data Hacker fame.

SUMMARY:

The last king was killed over 400 years ago and the global rule of the land ceased to exist. Slowly over the years the law and order started to subside, people began to divide amongst themselves, big cities were gradually gone and replaced with smaller settlements, and the whole land started to slowly degrade. Many believe it’s because the Angelkind have abandoned it.

Now the bandits roam the roads and wild animals roam the fields. The only safety can be found in smaller villages, where groups of people have banded to work together in order to survive. The relations between the different sentient races are very marginal and fragile. Some have been at long conflicts with one another, at times erupting into full blown wars. A holy Order of Atonement has been trying to keep the people together, but even their influence is limited to a handful of villages. And to top it all off, many believe a “Vindicator” will walk the land one day as a punisher of all the sins and bring forth a swift end upon it.

That day has come.

FEATURES:

A large, decadent, dark fantasy world with a new take on concepts of angels and demons.
Two different protagonist teams, each one with its own point of view on the same story. Their paths repeatedly converge and diverge as they attempt to accomplish their own goals, occasionally antagonizing one another.
10+ hours of gameplay in total - roughly 5+ hours for each team's story arc.
Unconventional way of unlocking new skills: each character possesses all of their special abilities from the start. However, many are locked by high energy cost. Increase max Energy by any means necessary to get access to those skills.
Strategically manage your energy in battles: use lots of low cost skills in a row, or use a high cost skill and wait for the overall energy to recharge.
Two difficulty modes: Normal and Challenging. Normal is streamlined so to allow most people to complete the game and witness the story. Challenging is for those seeking blood, sweat, sorrow, and death.
Turn-based battles and a variety of boss fights which require strategy to be beaten, especially in Challenging mode.
A variety of weapons, armour, and accessories, allowing customization of the equipment on playable characters to fit to your playstyle.

SCREENSHOTS:

Lost in the game? Please feel free to use this thread to ask your questions! :)
ENJOY!
• Play my latest games! ⬇️⬇️⬇️
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Indinera
Site Admin

Re: New RPG: Atonement

Postby kalbun » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:14 pm

Not bad, really not bad...

The idea of playing the story twice from different points of view is interesting, and I also appreciate the graphics.

Surely it's worth 10 bucks +::Thumbup
--Kalbun
kalbun
Bard

Postby Indinera » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:03 am

kalbun wrote:Not bad, really not bad...

The idea of playing the story twice from different points of view is interesting, and I also appreciate the graphics.

Surely it's worth 10 bucks +::Thumbup

Glad to hear!
• Play my latest games! ⬇️⬇️⬇️
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Indinera
Site Admin

Postby ivan » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:57 pm

I have a Steam account filled with triple A titles, but each night I play a little Atonement. It's an endearing game made by someone driven to create a good title, not make a quick buck. This is the first rpg maker engine game I have bought, and it is well worth the price.
ivan
Peasant

Postby kalbun » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:15 pm

ivan wrote:It's an endearing game made by someone driven to create a good title, not make a quick buck.

Fully agree: this is a game with great care in the details, many good ideas, and made with passion.

In my opinion, to get the best game experience one has to play both teams at the same pace - like if you were looking a movie. This way the plot and the different point of view of Nail and Elleria become much clearer.

The only negative note is that the big almost-final encounter (Lomgorth for Elleria and Vesar for Nail) are much too hard if compared with the enemies found that far. I have both groups at lvl 17 but this is not enough :(
--Kalbun
kalbun
Bard

Postby Matseb » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:03 am

Thanks for the positive comments, guys. If you've got any questions, feel free to ask them and I'll be happy to help.

I personally am a fan of the idea of playing both story arcs side by side as well. The reason I made them completely separate is to let the player be fully in charge on how to experience the game, whether they prefer to do one story then the other, or both side by side.

And you're right. I probably should've made those optional superbosses a bit easier on normal difficulty. They are completely optional though, but if you're stuck, I can give some tips on how to beat them. :)

I greatly appreciate the support, guys.
Matseb
Peasant

Postby kalbun » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:17 pm

Matseb wrote:And you're right. I probably should've made those optional superbosses a bit easier on normal difficulty. They are completely optional though, but if you're stuck, I can give some tips on how to beat them. :)

Hi Matseb,

I was somehow able to kill Vesar (all chars at level 18-19, and in the end only one was still alive...) but Lomgorth is nearly impossible.

I know that enchanted golems are almost invulnerable, so I concentrate on the others, and to only one per time.

Nonetheless they are extremely hard to kill. During the last attempt (all chars at level 18) I was able to shut down only one, hammering it with frost spells, but at the cost of consuming the whole stocks of potions.
They keep throwing stones (?) with huge damage, so I would appreciate some hints +::surrender
--Kalbun
kalbun
Bard

Postby Matseb » Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:39 pm

Really great job on beating Rick the Despot (at Vesar). He is a very hard boss. +::biggrin

As for Lomgorth, here are my suggestions:

The Setup:
I am guessing you have the other sidequests completed and have both Angelic Amulets. I often find that equipping one to Gashrun is very useful, since he has a lot of useful high end skills. The second one I give either to Elleria or Kizu.

Possessed golem only casts darkness spells, so Darkness Cloaks are good to wear in this fight. You don't need protection from any other element. Golems can also stun you, so if any character has a spare equip slot, Resilient Boots (anti-stun) would be good on them. I would also recommend to have as many characters wearing Adept's Armour as possible, since it gives a nice Def bonus and also grants a 50% resistance to Def debuffs (which the golems deal at times).

Also bring many Potent Potions and Tears of Grace just in case. ;)

The Battle:
The key in this fight is to concentrate on one golem at a time. When Lomgorth possesses a golem, he stays in it for 2 turns and then changes (unless you have less than 4 left, in which case he could stay longer in some of them). The golems have a weakness to Ice, so Ice magic is good against them. With Gashrun I use Triplicity a lot to deal 3 hits at a time.

The golem that is possessed has magic reflection on, so magic spells can't hurt him, but other attacks can. So if Lomgorth possesses the golem you're attacking, I tend to have Elleria and Kizu spend those 2 turns healing and buffing, whilst Gashrun and Habach continue attacking. Ideally Elleria will spend many turns using buffs. Accession is good because it gives her a HP buff. And if you recharge the energy quickly (with the help of Angelic Amulet) and apply it before the 6 turns are up, she'll have her HP buffed up to 50%. Or you can have her use team Atk or team Mag buffs. Kizu can alternate between offensive spells and healing. I'd recommend to keep his energy high, so that in case of emergency you can use Healing Wave.

Some other useful tricks:
- If the team is dying and you can't keep up with the healing, having Gashrun use Undying can be a saviour. When in Undying state, he'll be essentially immortal for 3 turns, which can give you some time to heal everyone up.
- The possessed golem is resistant to the Mental Blank state, but regular golems are not. If you know which golem Lomgorth is going to possess next (he does it in a pattern), you can cast Mental Blank on that golem just before Lomgorth possesses it, which means possessed golem's magic spells will deal less damage.
- Once you've beaten one golem, the battle will become slightly easier, and then easier again when you kill the next one. So the main thing is to survive long enough until you bring the first one down. After that it's downhill from there.
- Getting Habach to provoke the enemies can be useful. Regular golems only deal physical damage, so you could have Habach do Tough skin + Provoke. He could die quickly if they all start attacking him, but so long as Kizu is still alive, he could revive him. Getting Habach targeted can help to take the heat off the other party members, who are more vulnerable.

Hopefully these tips help. +::biggrin It is possible to do this battle at lvl 17 from when I tested it, but getting higher levels is always an added bonus.
Matseb
Peasant

Postby kalbun » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:08 am

Hi Matseb,

your hints have proven to be very useful!

The cloaks helped, of course, but my mistake was in using Elleria for attack instead than healing and defence.

So, I was able to complete that side quest, and eventually win the final battle. As soon as I have a bit of time, I'll complete the game with Nail as well.

I can only confirm my initial impression: the game is worth every cent (or penny). There are many good and original ideas, so good in facts that I hope to see a sequel with the same chars - or at least the same environment.

Another appreciable aspect is the balance between cost of gears and money availability - let me say, similar to real life +::biggrin
Earning money was neither too easy, not too hard. You can eventually access top gear, but only doing all the sidequests and a lot of random encounters.

+::Thumbup
--Kalbun
kalbun
Bard

Postby Matseb » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:30 pm

kalbun wrote:Hi Matseb,

your hints have proven to be very useful!

The cloaks helped, of course, but my mistake was in using Elleria for attack instead than healing and defence.

So, I was able to complete that side quest, and eventually win the final battle. As soon as I have a bit of time, I'll complete the game with Nail as well.

I can only confirm my initial impression: the game is worth every cent (or penny). There are many good and original ideas, so good in facts that I hope to see a sequel with the same chars - or at least the same environment.

Another appreciable aspect is the balance between cost of gears and money availability - let me say, similar to real life +::biggrin
Earning money was neither too easy, not too hard. You can eventually access top gear, but only doing all the sidequests and a lot of random encounters.

+::Thumbup

Thanks Kalbun. That's fantastic to hear you've greatly enjoyed the game. I hope you like the conclusion to Nail's story as well (in particular the final boss fight). +::biggrin

I am hoping to make more games in the Atonement universe at some point in the future. So far none planned (as I'm concentrating on a sequel to my other series), but there's a high likelihood there will be some more installments.

I am glad you've found the money aspect to be balanced well. I've got to thank my testers for that, because there have been times where many of them would point out that there wasn't enough money to buy gear, so I had to tweak that a few times. :)
Matseb
Peasant

Postby johnboy412000 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:51 pm

Ive just downloaded the full version of this game and i keep getting the error "The file is corrupted.It was downloaded with errors or otherwise damaged.Please download it again and make sure that you do not have viruses" Whats all that about ? ive bought it from Aldorlea site and BMT micro sent me 3 links in purchase email +::sos
johnboy412000
Bounty Hunter

Postby johnboy412000 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:21 pm

Cancel that one i got it working with the 3rd link in the email +::clap +::clap +::Thumbup
johnboy412000
Bounty Hunter

Postby kalbun » Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:35 pm

Matseb wrote:I am hoping to make more games in the Atonement universe at some point in the future. So far none planned (as I'm concentrating on a sequel to my other series), but there's a high likelihood there will be some more installments.

Great, should you need a beta tester... +::whistle
Last edited by kalbun on Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--Kalbun
kalbun
Bard

Postby feyone2 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:33 pm

Hi Matseb, I'm enjoying this game too. I like the realistic characters very much but I must say I'm finding it more difficult than most games I've played as the characters don't generate much cash for shopping for better weapons. Apart from that
I like the idea of playing both sides of the story in tandem but I've a battle problem on both sides.
Can you help me with hints for Nail & co to beat the 3 undead in the Capital and for Elleria with the lizardy beast in the top of the mountain cave on her way to the Serafin temple?
Thanks in advance!
feyone2
Bounty Hunter

Postby Matseb » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:32 pm

Thanks for the responses, everyone. Sorry it took me a couple of days to get back to you.

Kalbun: Thank you. I most likely would need more testers, so I’ll be sure to send you a message when I have a demo of my next game ready. :)

Johnboy: Glad you got it to work. Let me know if you have any other questions. +::biggrin

Feyone2:

You’re quite far in. The 3 undead in the Capital are indeed a hard encounter, because they’ll keep performing their ‘dance’ if at least 2 are still standing. My suggestions would be to first equip your characters with Adept armour. It provides some nice defence, which will help them survive more damage.

Have you already gotten your second Angelic Amulet from the encounter with 2 of those in another part of the Capital? If so, I’d highly suggest to make use of it, since it increases energy regen. Most times I find it best to equip one of those to Nail and another one to Anrid. Anrid because she’s a healer, and Nail, because you generate a lot of damage with him. This is one of those boss fights that you’d want to end as quickly as possible.

When the battle starts, I’d recommend getting the first of the 3 undead killed as soon as possible. Have Nail use Disembowel. With Anrid, I’d suggest to either use Rally Allies (for team regen for 4 turns), or to save the energy to use Healing Wave when the team starts losing a lot of health. With Meya – Spirit Slice, since these undead have a spirit weakness.

With Kanden my suggestion is to use Weaken (which reduces enemy’s Atk and Def by 20%). The “dance” move is often “led” by one of the undead. It’s often hard to tell which one, but in this encounter, the one that stands in the middle will lead if he is still alive. So my suggestion is to kill one of the others right away, and then use Weaken on the middle guy. The dance move will deal a lot less damage.

Another useful move is to use Leg Slash with Nail, so that these guys do not attack you before Anrid has a chance to heal injured party members. Another suggestion, if any party member gets K.Oed, ignore it and keep dealing damage. Your main goal is to kill at least 2 of the undead as fast as possible. Once the last one remains, you can then revive your party members, because one undead cannot do the dance and hence doesn’t pose so much danger. +::biggrin

In regard to Elleria’s boss fight, is this the Bone Golem creature in an icy cavern? He is a fairly hard boss too. The main problem with him is that he debuffs the party’s Agi, so when he has all his minions attacking you before you can heal, it gets deadly very quickly. You could either equip gear that helps you resist Agi loss (Running Shoes), or you take out the minions as soon as possible.

He will summon 1, then the next turn 2, then 3. Closer to the end of the fight, he will revive them all at once. So it is important to let the energy of some of your characters to be high. For example, Kizu can use Incinerate to deal damage to them all at once. Or yet better, if you save up Gashrun’s energy, have him use Needle Storm. It is guaranteed to take them all out, since it deals 3 hits to every enemy on the field. Other useful skills – Gashrun’s Undying will allow him to be immortal for 3 turns even if his HP runs out, so you can use that if the team is dying and needs urgent healing (and I always give one of the Angelic Amulets to Gashrun). The minions only deal physical damage, so you could also try getting Habach to use Tough Skin + Provoke. Or if you’re feeling lucky, you could have Habach do Intimidate. With so many minions on the field, you’re bound to stun some of them.

And of course, both the golem and his minions are weak to fire, so fire spells and attacks will do the most damage to them.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you’ve managed to beat these bosses or if you get stuck on any others. :)
Matseb
Peasant

Next

Return to Games from other Developers