Laxius Soul Forever Heroes Maiden Maiden Odessa When the Light Dies

New forum section

Re: New forum section

Postby Cassiopeia » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:49 am

Well, there are a lot of really pretty tilesets available in VX style, but when it comes to nature maps they are so unnatural because everything's square and straight. But it was clear that at some point you'd switch to the VX maps because unless you get your own tilesets designed for every game, the material for XP is quite limited and no one wants games that all look the same.
What I really dislike and can't get used to are the sprites. They are just ugly. I'm playing TBOL yet again now (with Ana and Benito, lol), and as much as I've gotten used to the maps, the sprites are still disturbing for me.
But to be fair, it doesn't really impair the gameplay. It's just like a constant itch in my eyes.

I hope the new battle system will be as cool as the old one because that's one of the BIGGEST advantages of your games!!!
Cassiopeia
Hero

Postby Indinera » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:05 am

Well, there are a lot of really pretty tilesets available in VX style, but when it comes to nature maps they are so unnatural because everything's square and straight.

Agreed, not a big fan of it either. But I never rated the tilesets so high in importance. I prefer storyline, artworks, gameplay, length etc.

But it was clear that at some point you'd switch to the VX maps because unless you get your own tilesets designed for every game, the material for XP is quite limited and no one wants games that all look the same.

Yes indeed.

What I really dislike and can't get used to are the sprites. They are just ugly. I'm playing TBOL yet again now (with Ana and Benito, lol), and as much as I've gotten used to the maps, the sprites are still disturbing for me.
But to be fair, it doesn't really impair the gameplay. It's just like a constant itch in my eyes.

Actually in TBOL I liked them quite a lot, they had a distinctive feel, I always thought Jordan, Jasmine etc looked pretty cute. I'm less of the fan of the usual VX batch.

I hope the new battle system will be as cool as the old one because that's one of the BIGGEST advantages of your games!!!

It's pretty cool. Battles are one of the reasons why I don't get bored of making and particularly testing these games over and over again. So I'd never make a) a sluggish battle system b) a pound-the-enter-button battle system. c) nonsensically easy battle system
• Play my latest games! ⬇️⬇️⬇️
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Indinera
Site Admin

Postby Cassiopeia » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:36 am

Indinera wrote:But I never rated the tilesets so high in importance. I prefer storyline, artworks, gameplay, length etc.

But a map is basically the first and biggest thing you see. At the beginning you don't know much about the storyline and how good it will be. That comes later. Same with the length.
For me personally the visuals of a game are much more important than for instance the music. Music can be turned off (which I often do when it's getting tedious to hear the same tune all over and over again). But the maps are there for the entire game.

Indinera wrote:Actually in TBOL I liked them quite a lot, they had a distinctive feel, I always thought Jordan, Jasmine etc looked pretty cute.

Jasmine - okay. Jordan - I don't like the sprite at all, especially the face. Same for instance with Zetta or now with Ana. Especially Jordan looks like he's suffering from a hydrocephalus, lol.

But all of that is just my personal taste. For others it's certainly different.
Cassiopeia
Hero

Postby Indinera » Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:48 pm

But a map is basically the first and biggest thing you see. At the beginning you don't know much about the storyline and how good it will be. That comes later. Same with the length.

Guess so. But I see myself as a good mapper so I guess I can use the resources I have well enough to compose interesting and appealing maps. :)

For me personally the visuals of a game are much more important than for instance the music. Music can be turned off (which I often do when it's getting tedious to hear the same tune all over and over again). But the maps are there for the entire game.

Well I didn't say music was more important :razz:
Although a stunning score (see Asguaard) does make a difference IMO.

Jasmine - okay. Jordan - I don't like the sprite at all, especially the face. Same for instance with Zetta or now with Ana. Especially Jordan looks like he's suffering from a hydrocephalus, lol.

Yes, they are not well made, but they have a funny style, for some reason I was OK with them.
Of course the LF sprites are much better ahaha.

But all of that is just my personal taste. For others it's certainly different.

Usually most people like the older XP stuff better. +::shhhh
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Indinera
Site Admin

Postby loof123 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:17 pm

I am wondering who this mysterious collabrator is... And VX Ace? Wow, Indy do you like it so far?
loof123
PhysicMage of Arkadya

Postby Indinera » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:26 pm

It's OK enough, why not?
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Indinera
Site Admin

Postby loof123 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:34 pm

I dunno, the adaptation?
loof123
PhysicMage of Arkadya

Postby Indinera » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:41 pm

i was helped a little bit by the "talented creator" 8)
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Indinera
Site Admin

Postby Cassiopeia » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:57 pm

Indinera wrote:Well I didn't say music was more important :razz:
Although a stunning score (see Asguaard) does make a difference IMO.

Oh yes, and it can also apply in the negative way. Like the music in TBOL you chose for the castles and Fort Zenna. Man, that's driving me nuts!I must turn it off every time I enter one of these places or I'll get really angry.

Indinera wrote:It's OK enough, why not?

That's not quite an excited statement.
Are you planning on working with Ace on your future games rather than XP?
Cassiopeia
Hero

Postby Indinera » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:59 pm

or I'll get really angry.

why? +::Dunno

That's not quite an excited statement.
Are you planning on working with Ace on your future games rather than XP?

It's a bit undecided at this point. A lot of things are actually undecided.
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Indinera
Site Admin

Postby Cassiopeia » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:07 pm

Indinera wrote:why? +::Dunno

I don't know. This constant ta-ta-ta-ta-TAM annoys me so much, it literally makes me grumpy. Lol

Indinera wrote:It's a bit undecided at this point. A lot of things are actually undecided.

I don't know, could it be that games made with XP (since it's not the newest software anymore) might be problematic with future versions of Windows?
Cassiopeia
Hero

Postby Indinera » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:10 pm

Yes it could but windows is so unpredictable that it's hard to speculate.
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Indinera
Site Admin

Postby Cassiopeia » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:14 pm

Very true.
Well, I hope nothing like that will happen. It would be horrible if all your games you've made so far didn't work properly anymore.
Cassiopeia
Hero

Postby Indinera » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:24 pm

yet everyone would be affected, not just me.
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Indinera
Site Admin

Postby D-Squall » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:33 pm

This talented creator is a new one? :)
D-Squall
Aldorlian Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Undefeated - Help and Questions