Laxius Soul Forever Heroes Maiden Maiden Odessa When the Light Dies

spend points

Re: spend points

Postby Indinera » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:19 pm

Tomas wrote:When spending the points, I follow a simple "The faster you deal with the enemies the better" rule.
So ATK / MAT, AGI and LUK. Works well so far. :)

+::Thumbup +::Thumbup +::Thumbup +::Thumbup
• Play my latest games! ⬇️⬇️⬇️
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Indinera
Site Admin

Postby david42 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:37 pm

Tomas wrote:When spending the points, I follow a simple "The faster you deal with the enemies the better" rule.
So ATK / MAT, AGI and LUK. Works well so far. :)

Yes, I think I spent most of my points on boosting AGI.
david42
Wanderer

Postby Cassiopeia » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:06 am

I started to replay and as promised I'm using my points this time. :)
When trying to figure out what's best to use them for I noticed that in Aayden's "Stab in the Back" spell description it says "+SPDx4", while for "Breeze Blow" it says "+AGIx3".
So is SPD and AGI the same now or is there any difference?
Cassiopeia
Hero

Postby Kes » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:16 pm

There is a technical difference in the way Ace handles this. AGI is used for determining a range of things - most obviously what order characters carry out their actions, and whether they can escape from enemies. However, in creating a skill, the developer has to use a different function, known as Speed (SPD) because that must be independent of any buffs or debuffs that the character has at the time of using the skill. SPD is not included in any calculation of AGI buffs and debuffs.

Hope that's clear. If not, let me know and I'll see if I can explain it a bit better.
Kes
Explorer

Postby Cassiopeia » Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:25 pm

It's clear.
However, that means I can't really figure out the power of "Stab in the Back" as it uses SPD and that value isn't shown in the stats list, neither can I alter it by using spend points. Right?
Cassiopeia
Hero

Postby Kes » Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:23 pm

Ah, now I know which one you're talking about, and ignore everything I said in the post above. I thought you were referring to a couple of other skills.

Indy added formulas into the skill description, and on that one he made a typing error. When I created the skill the damage formula is:
ATK x 2 + AGI x 4 - DEF x 2

That is the formula which Ace reads, so if you want to improve it, then you can use your spend points on AGI. In fact, AGI is good for Aaydan, as several of his skills use that stat.

Sorry about the confusion.
Kes
Explorer

Postby Cassiopeia » Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:03 pm

*Ignoring* :)

Now that makes sense indeed!

I have to say, I didn't expect that using the points would really make such a difference, but it sure does! I also realized that I misunderstood how it worked in the first place. I thought when it said like "x3" it meant that I'd have to spend 3 points to increase the stat by 1. So I thought I wouldn't get a lot of gain from that, but since it's just the other way around the characters do improve a lot! +::clap
Cassiopeia
Hero

Postby Kes » Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:55 pm

I'm glad you cracked the system. Yes, those spend points make a huge difference, and because you can use them in different ways, it does make for quite varied strategies on replay. On another forum one player said that he had put most of Eloabeth's points onto ATK, because he didn't want to be too dependent on MP. So there she was all fired up as a big hitter. I'm a bit sceptical of that one, myself, as I prefer to use her spells. But each to their own preference!

I hope that you find the last part of the game more to your taste. I think you won't find the enemies anything like as tough now.
Kes
Explorer

Postby Cassiopeia » Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:04 pm

I'm sure I'll do much better this time around!
As for Eloabeth - agreed. I also love using her spells, so I boost her MAT and max MP.
I'm also more the "hitting" type of a fighter and always thrifty with my MP, but there always one I love to use as a mage and in this case it's Beth (sorry!). Also, she sure has a lot of MP anyway, and the skill that she gains later on that allows her to restore her own MP is amazing. So one never has to worry about running out of MP with her! +::clap
Cassiopeia
Hero

Postby Kes » Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:49 pm

There's also the Sorcerer's Friend, which regenerates some MP each turn - not a lot, but every little helps. And then, one of my favourites, the Threnald Ring which reduces the cost of MP to 50%. I have to admit, once I get that I leave it more or less permanently equipped.
Kes
Explorer

Postby Cassiopeia » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:27 pm

Yes, that's a cool piece of equipment! In every game the mages get those MP reducing items as soon as I get them, lol.
Cassiopeia
Hero

Postby RPGeez » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:00 pm

I have played a couple of RPG's with this feature and I think it is a great feature to have.
I like having control over the how I choose to develop the characters which makes for a more enjoyable adventure.
It does make a difference on how you spend those points too. +::Thumbup
RPGeez
Ranger

Postby Kes » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:07 pm

Glad you like the system.

Do you have a preferred way of allocating your points? Do you use them to give general boosts to the whole stat profile, or do you tend to concentrate on just one or two and blast them into the stratosphere? Or maybe something in-between.
Kes
Explorer

Postby RPGeez » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:16 pm

Hey Kes

I try to balance all characters with points accept for Eloabeth who has high MAT,MDF,DEF and LUK.She is a Sorceress so of course relies on spells and less on ATK. I like Eloabeth's potion making. Absolutely necessary to have her for sure.

Most of the characters of course have high ATK,DEF and AGI and also try to have high LUK.

Very nice RPG and challenging especially at Lomax where I am now.

RPGeez
RPGeez
Ranger

Postby Kes » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:39 pm

Almost at the end then. Good luck with it.
Kes
Explorer

PreviousNext

Return to The Tale of a Common Man - Help and Questions