Laxius Soul Forever Heroes Maiden Maiden Odessa When the Light Dies

Laxius S____ (2018?)

Re: Laxius S____ (2016?)

Postby Cassiopeia » Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:21 am

D-Squall wrote:with larger games you don't have that incomplete feeling when you finish them, some games are so small and when you finish them you ask yourself: "That's it?"

You totally hit the point, DS! I last had that with The Kings Heroes. I was totally baffled when I finished the final fight and realized that the game was actually over.
I also feel that in shorter games the characters never get the chance to develop a personality like they do in longer ones. I mean, think of Random, Sarah, Luci, Coryool ...., but also Jordan, Jasmine, Melusine and all of them, and you know who they are. In many of the newer games I never really found that out. I don't even remember all of their names or who was in which game.
That might also be because I hardly ever replay those games, but I have played LF and TBOL many many times and certainly will again.
When a new Aldorlea game comes out today I'll most likely get it (unless I totally dislike the demo which hardly ever happens), simply because I like getting something new. I can't say, if you don't give me what I really want, I won't get anything at all. And as long as people buy what comes out and - like Indy said - don't demand something else (like LS), it's gonna be the way it is right now.
That certainly doesn't mean that everything that comes out now is bad, but just not as exciting anymore. I don't remember the last time when a game got me hooked so much that I couldn't stop playing for hours.
Cassiopeia
Hero

Postby Indinera » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:09 am

I last had that with The Kings Heroes. I was totally baffled when I finished the final fight and realized that the game was actually over.

And TKH is one of the longest RM games in recent years, by far.

When a new Aldorlea game comes out today I'll most likely get it (unless I totally dislike the demo which hardly ever happens), simply because I like getting something new. I can't say, if you don't give me what I really want, I won't get anything at all. And as long as people buy what comes out and - like Indy said - don't demand something else (like LS), it's gonna be the way it is right now.

The problem is that it's much harder to make a long game - not just LF but also TBOL or Asguaard.
And for the dev, it doesn't pay off. Asguaard is my most popular game, but it took like 5 times longer to make than Millennium, and Millennium is not even half as popular, but way more than this.
And that's only for my own catalogue. I could make a killing by selling out and releasing short 3-5h games with few characters, skills and items (I'd make that in 2 weeks).
But it all comes down to this, people just prefer what's cheap, end of the story. So they get what they favor, action-reaction.
Want a 80h epic? Don't go cheap trying to find the smallest price possible over all the Internet, show me you have REAL interest, and LS would be here already. 80h epics don't happen by magic, they take time, and if the players privilege 3-5h games, 80h epics will disappear.

That certainly doesn't mean that everything that comes out now is bad, but just not as exciting anymore. I don't remember the last time when a game got me hooked so much that I couldn't stop playing for hours.

In 2006 long games were smashing short ones. +::lol
• Play my latest games! ⬇️⬇️⬇️
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Indinera
Site Admin

Postby Cassiopeia » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:51 pm

Indinera wrote:And TKH is one of the longest RM games in recent years, by far.

Is it really?

I totally understand what you're saying about cheap games. It's not just games. Everything has to be cheap because people rather want new stuff more often.

Indinera wrote: I could make a killing by selling out and releasing short 3-5h games with few characters, skills and items (I'd make that in 2 weeks).

Then I'd be off for good. But I guess many people would still be happy to buy stuff like that.
Cassiopeia
Hero

Postby Indinera » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:55 pm

Is it really?

Have a look:
http://www.aldorlea.org/allgames.php
Unless I'm mistaken all the games around TKH (before/after) are shorter than it except probably Aveyond 4 (which took years to make).

I totally understand what you're saying about cheap games. It's not just games. Everything has to be cheap because people rather want new stuff more often.

+::Thumbup
You're spot on with this sad but true statement.

Then I'd be off for good. But I guess many people would still be happy to buy stuff like that.

I won't do that though. I need to enjoy making a game otherwise it's a bit pointless to make it. I never did this activity for the money first. I wouldn't have made 6 free games if money was my drive. :)
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Indinera
Site Admin

Postby Cassiopeia » Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:12 pm

Indinera wrote:Unless I'm mistaken all the games around TKH (before/after) are shorter than it except probably Aveyond 4 (which took years to make).

I haven't played Aveyond 4 because someone told me that it's got nothing at all to do with the original story, and to me it's like they're just using a NAME that sells. It didn't interest me much.
As for your games - I really can't tell. Maybe TKH doesn't seem that long to me because there are no highlights I actually remember. There's not much story throughout the game, and I don't really remember all the dungeons I went through (it's been a while since I played it). So when you say it's been the longest game, I sure believe you.

Indinera wrote:I won't do that though. I need to enjoy making a game otherwise it's a bit pointless to make it. I never did this activity for the money first. I wouldn't have made 6 free games if money was my drive.

Well, you gotta eat though, lol. Money is never an unimportant point. But it shouldn't be the most important one either.
Cassiopeia
Hero

Postby Indinera » Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:16 pm

I haven't played Aveyond 4 because someone told me that it's got nothing at all to do with the original story, and to me it's like they're just using a NAME that sells.

Like Zelda or Final Fantasy lol

As for your games - I really can't tell. Maybe TKH doesn't seem that long to me because there are no highlights I actually remember. There's not much story throughout the game, and I don't really remember all the dungeons I went through (it's been a while since I played it). So when you say it's been the longest game, I sure believe you.

Longest vs recent competitors
And close enough to A Timely Intervention or Elendia Ceus
My point is that I still release quite long games when most other devs don't.

Well, you gotta eat though, lol. Money is never an unimportant point. But it shouldn't be the most important one either.

I want both. Enjoy making the games and some money for them. +::lol
To start releasing only short games would be a solely "money" move.
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Indinera
Site Admin

Postby Cassiopeia » Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:29 pm

Indinera wrote:y point is that I still release quite long games when most other devs don't.

I can't judge here. I usually don't play games from ther devs.

Indinera wrote:I want both. Enjoy making the games and some money for them.

There's nothing wrong here.

Indinera wrote:To start releasing only short games would be a solely "money" move.

Guess it would drive away long time fans too, though.
Cassiopeia
Hero

Postby Indinera » Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:32 pm

Guess it would drive away long time fans too, though.

And they would be right.
But if a dev wants money, the best thing is to release short games. That's the current state of this business.
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Indinera
Site Admin

Postby Cassiopeia » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:41 pm

Well, I hope you'll never succumb to this.
Cassiopeia
Hero

Postby briony » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:25 am

PLEASE do not stop making long games- and I will wait patiently for LS - (it better be out before I die lol)- the longer games give you more time to understand and appreciated the depth of the characters and the storylines
briony
DreamLord of Myst

Postby Indinera » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:38 am

briony wrote:PLEASE do not stop making long games- and I will wait patiently for LS - (it better be out before I die lol)- the longer games give you more time to understand and appreciated the depth of the characters and the storylines

The games I've got in the pipeline are still quite long.
I really don't think much of most short games tbh.
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Indinera
Site Admin

Postby bclouds » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:19 am

I'm not really seeing that many short rpg/adventure games on steam being released and those that are on steam (5 dollar games) tend to fade away very quickly while the longer games have positive reader reviews and seem to sell better.

People are not stupid, well, most people who can work a computer are not. Lazy developers do not make good money. They get bad reviews or no coverage at all. I never click on 5 dollar games unless I can see it has a-lot of good reviews.

I think with the Laxius games, you could have made an absolute mint with the right publicity and impact. It saddens me to see that fewer than 1000 people have purchased the games, I always thought they would have sold about 10000 copies per game, that it how much Iove the games and see their true worth.
I totally love the Millennium games too.

I hope one day, shitloads of people discover your games and you finally make the money that you deserve. It just goes to say that you can't just rely on word of mouth in this internet age.....
bclouds
Mercenary

Postby Indinera » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:40 am

I'm not really seeing that many short rpg/adventure games on steam being released and those that are on steam (5 dollar games) tend to fade away very quickly while the longer games have positive reader reviews and seem to sell better.

Most RM games there are short and don't sell any less.

People are not stupid, well, most people who can work a computer are not. Lazy developers do not make good money. They get bad reviews or no coverage at all. I never click on 5 dollar games unless I can see it has a-lot of good reviews.

They give away tons of free keys to obtain the many good reviews you (and everyone else) care for, so that you click and eventually purchase. ;)

I think with the Laxius games, you could have made an absolute mint with the right publicity and impact.

No, I don't think so. 3 Stars of Destiny is my less popular game there. Laxius fans are either too few or not vocal enough.

It saddens me to see that fewer than 1000 people have purchased the games, I always thought they would have sold about 10000 copies per game, that it how much Iove the games and see their true worth.
I totally love the Millennium games too.

I never said 1000- people bought them lol All I said is that, while being a good seller, Laxius is too complex compared to my other games to justify being a priority.
Millennium is a good example, sold very well and far easier to make than LF.

I hope one day, shitloads of people discover your games and you finally make the money that you deserve. It just goes to say that you can't just rely on word of mouth in this internet age.....

Wish me luck, it's the most important factor in this business - and tbh, in life in general.
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Indinera
Site Admin

Postby Madmar » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:06 pm

I too prefer the longer games that you produce. The short games are just that, short, for those with the attention span of a gnat. Not much replay value which is high on my list of priorities. I understand people have jobs or are involved in school. They have personal lives that require attention. One of the joys of the long games is the anticipation of play. So I would rather buy one long game than 4 short ones for the same price. I prefer to think when I play and become involved in the characters. This is where so many of your games are winners for me, Indy. +::heart

Cassie, I too avoided Aveyond 4 but did buy it and am glad I did. It is not part of the series but there are plenty of references and characters from the older games. I am enjoying it on its own merits. I am sorry Aveyond will not be producing games, apparently caught up in the same issues as Indy.

By the way, I do not use Steam or Big Fish to buy my games. I only order through Aldorlea where I know I will get the full game and all the benefits.
Madmar
Explorer

Postby Indinera » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:11 pm

This is where so many of your games are winners for me, Indy. +::heart

Thank you. Wish more people were like you.
People would rather buy a 2h game at $4 than a 30h one at $20.

Cassie, I too avoided Aveyond 4 but did buy it and am glad I did. It is not part of the series but there are plenty of references and characters from the older games. I am enjoying it on its own merits. I am sorry Aveyond will not be producing games, apparently caught up in the same issues as Indy.

Amanda gave other reasons.
So far I don't have any financial issues. I just need people to realize Laxius Force is my less profitable game, NOT because it sold poorly (outsold many many of my games), but because it is so much more difficult and long to make.

By the way, I do not use Steam or Big Fish to buy my games. I only order through Aldorlea where I know I will get the full game and all the benefits.

Thank you for your support. Again, wish more were like you.
People do not realize their behavior (as a whole) is responsible for long projects like Laxius Force or Aveyond to stop and/or be postponed. Or maybe they just don't care, in this case, all is good lol
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Indinera
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to ➡️ Laxius Soul - Help and Questions