Laxius Soul Forever Heroes Maiden Maiden Odessa When the Light Dies

ALDORLEA'S WHEN THE LIGHT DIES IS OUT!!!

Re: ALDORLEA'S WHEN THE LIGHT DIES IS OUT!!!

Postby kimo » Sun May 01, 2022 8:01 pm

Arrrghhhh!!! +::grrr
Nothing less fun than being 2 rounds from defeating the final boss and getting the following game screen:
“Script ‘Yami fix for Yanfly’ line 38: NoMethodError occurred.
Undefined method ‘set_skill’ for nil: NilClass"

Also, I kind of expected a splash screen at the end of the game with all the game statistics, so you'll have to take my word for getting 525 for exploration, only missed 1 chest, and found both those safe deposit boxes in 13.5 hours at a party level of 18. To see all those game stats, you need to refight the final boss because of the final cut scenes. Bummer.

Here are some misc. comments/observations:
It would be very useful if the skill tree somehow indicated which skills were already learned without having to click on the skill and have nothing happen.

Rick’s “Hobble” skill says it affects 3 enemies; but if only 1 enemy, then only 1 attack is made. Inconsistent because other multiple enemy attacks perform #attacks as indicated regardless of enemy troop size. At least that’s what I think happened.

Very consistent characters with development as the story progresses. It is obvious you had well written character outlines from which to create them. And Rick still wanted his 500 ducats at the game’s end. Lots of humor that made me chuckle quite often.

Minor misspellings like “Swishy Coat” armor protects from Enemey’s instead of Enemy’s.

“Training Syrup” item – What is an Apprentice Sprite? I figured out it meant Party Member, so why not use Party Member in the description? Or did I miss something?

I'll be playing again, but in the toughest mode possible. Thanks for an overall enjoyable game with an excellent and unique story.
aloha,
kimo lange
kimo
Bounty Hunter

Postby Kes » Sun May 01, 2022 8:35 pm

kimo wrote:Arrrghhhh!!! +::grrr
Nothing less fun than being 2 rounds from defeating the final boss and getting the following game screen:
“Script ‘Yami fix for Yanfly’ line 38: NoMethodError occurred.
Undefined method ‘set_skill’ for nil: NilClass"

I'm really sorry to hear this. This is one of those very rare, impossible to re-create bugs where the developer is completely helpless.

kimo wrote:Also, I kind of expected a splash screen at the end of the game with all the game statistics, so you'll have to take my word for getting 525 for exploration, only missed 1 chest, and found both those safe deposit boxes in 13.5 hours at a party level of 18. To see all those game stats, you need to refight the final boss because of the final cut scenes. Bummer.

As far as I am aware, the engine is not capable of creating and saving a dynamic screen like that. Perhaps take a screenshot of the final score that you get?

kimo wrote:Rick’s “Hobble” skill says it affects 3 enemies; but if only 1 enemy, then only 1 attack is made. Inconsistent because other multiple enemy attacks perform #attacks as indicated regardless of enemy troop size. At least that’s what I think happened.

I've just run a test and you are right, which is very weird. It is set up in exactly the same way as other multiple enemy skills and I can see no logical reason why the engine would handle this one differently. This will take some extensive investigation. Thanks for the discovery.

kimo wrote:“Training Syrup” item – What is an Apprentice Sprite? I figured out it meant Party Member, so why not use Party Member in the description? Or did I miss something?

The enemy which drops this item is a Forest Sprite, and the syrup is intended to help train up other Forest Sprites.

kimo wrote:I'll be playing again, but in the toughest mode possible. Thanks for an overall enjoyable game with an excellent and unique story.

I'm glad that you have enjoyed it. When you play again, it would be worth downloading the latest version which is going up later this evening. It fixes a couple of awkward things which can, in certain circumstances, cause a crash.
Kes
Explorer

Postby D-Squall » Mon May 02, 2022 3:03 pm

I just finished the game. It was great, nice story, nice writing and nice arts. I like the Skill Tree and how you can see which turn is coming next in battle. My score was something like 525 IIRC (missed 2 exp thingys and 1 chest). And I like how most secret rooms had visual clues in order to find them, I hate having to check every tile to find them haha.

But there were one thing I didn't liked it, and no, I'm no fast player because people here finished the game much before than me. The game is advertised as a 10 hour game, I fnished in 7h47 in Normal Mode, killing all enemies of all dungeons (except a couple from the final castle) and searching and talking to everyone everywhere (my final score was high in the searching part since the max is 600). I was expecting something on the size of Undefeated and/or Tale of a Common Man, which took around 10-15 hours for me to finish them, and as it is advertised as a 10h game, I was surprised that I finished in much less than that. I'm pissed because the game is very good, but the small length is a big problem for me, there are games that are cheaper that I took longer to finish like Inferno and A Fortress of Hell (around 8 hours each).

I still think it's a good game and congratulations on releasing a new game, as someone who used RPG Maker in the past, I know it's not easy. I just miss bigger Aldorlea games.
D-Squall
Aldorlian Legend

Postby darkange » Mon May 02, 2022 3:43 pm

@D-Squall see ... that's the problem with normal mode... if you play on legendary - its way longer ... I am 14 hours in and I just defeated Wynfir (cool boss by the way) - so I will get the longest time lol
I don't stop when I'm tired, I stop when I am done.
(David Goggins)
darkange
Bounty Hunter

Postby Indinera » Mon May 02, 2022 6:15 pm

I think less than 8 hours is also, in all fairness, pretty fast.

But keep in mind the walking speed is very high in WTLD and while this is a "fun", player-friendly feature, it also reduces playtime quite a lot. I tend to think the overall scope of the game is big and epic enough, although yes, I understand games were bigger in the past.
Overall I'd say 10h for this new one is about an average with players spending more and some others spending less.
• Play my latest games! ⬇️⬇️⬇️
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Indinera
Site Admin

Postby darkange » Mon May 02, 2022 8:01 pm

Indinera wrote:I think less than 8 hours is also, in all fairness, pretty fast.

But keep in mind the walking speed is very high in WTLD and while this is a "fun", player-friendly feature, it also reduces playtime quite a lot. I tend to think the overall scope of the game is big and epic enough, although yes, I understand games were bigger in the past.
Overall I'd say 10h for this new one is about an average with players spending more and some others spending less.

I kept the walking speed as fast from the first minute of the game - and I still reached 14 hours so far - this is the benefit of max difficulty - you get more playtime and you are happy with the money spent lolo +::Dance +::biggrin
(David Goggins)
darkange
Bounty Hunter

Postby Indinera » Mon May 02, 2022 8:25 pm

darkange wrote:
Indinera wrote:I think less than 8 hours is also, in all fairness, pretty fast.

I kept the walking speed as fast from the first minute of the game - and I still reached 14 hours so far - this is the benefit of max difficulty - you get more playtime and you are happy with the money spent lolo +::Dance +::biggrin

True, hardest modes take longer. I guess it's fair though to estimate the playtime of a game based on its normal difficulty (not easy, though).
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Indinera
Site Admin

Postby darkange » Mon May 02, 2022 9:05 pm

what's the purpose of turning the lamps on in the catacombs other than a minor light on the screen ? couldn't see much of a difference with lamps on or off
(David Goggins)
darkange
Bounty Hunter

Postby Lady JJ » Mon May 02, 2022 9:48 pm

darkange wrote:what's the purpose of turning the lamps on in the catacombs other than a minor light on the screen ? couldn't see much of a difference with lamps on or off

Either Kes or someone with a guide would know better, but I never found it to be anything other than a light source.
Lady JJ
Bounty Hunter

Postby Indinera » Mon May 02, 2022 10:18 pm

Lady JJ wrote:
darkange wrote:what's the purpose of turning the lamps on in the catacombs other than a minor light on the screen ? couldn't see much of a difference with lamps on or off

Either Kes or someone with a guide would know better, but I never found it to be anything other than a light source.

Same! +::Dunno
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Indinera
Site Admin

Postby Kes » Tue May 03, 2022 8:06 am

D-Squall wrote:I just finished the game. It was great, nice story, nice writing and nice arts. I like the Skill Tree and how you can see which turn is coming next in battle. My score was something like 525 IIRC (missed 2 exp thingys and 1 chest). And I like how most secret rooms had visual clues in order to find them, I hate having to check every tile to find them haha.

I'm glad that you enjoyed it.

D-Squall wrote:But there were one thing I didn't liked it, and no, I'm no fast player because people here finished the game much before than me. The game is advertised as a 10 hour game, I fnished in 7h47 in Normal Mode, killing all enemies of all dungeons (except a couple from the final castle) and searching and talking to everyone everywhere (my final score was high in the searching part since the max is 600).

The play time has to be an average of what a player in normal mode would do. It can be quite difficult to judge this accurately, but I know that other players took longer (not including Darkange on legendary), but inevitably an average means that some people will take less time. I'm sorry that you were disappointed.

Darkange wrote:what's the purpose of turning the lamps on in the catacombs other than a minor light on the screen ? couldn't see much of a difference with lamps on or off

For some players that little bit of difference is a big help. Not everyone has the same quality of vision or brightness of monitor.
Just a hint - not all lamps are equal. Some lamps are different and may reward being looked at more closely.
Kes
Explorer

Postby ZuluKat » Tue May 03, 2022 2:01 pm

Finished at a little over 9 hrs but it was a basic run through at normal mode. Didn't pay attention to score as I'm going to replay. One thing that bugged me was not being able to wander the mapped towns. All that exploring that could be done.
Loved the secret rooms!!! It's kind of hard right now to fully focus on games as we have fire evacuations going on here. But I'll give it a go again in a couple days in hard mode and explore better than first time.
ZuluKat
Explorer

Postby Kes » Tue May 03, 2022 2:25 pm

ZuluKat wrote: One thing that bugged me was not being able to wander the mapped towns. All that exploring that could be done.

They are there more to give an idea of the scale of the world you're crossing (also a couple of Secret Rooms). I did think about having at least one of them as explorable, but couldn't see how to incorporate it into the story. It would just have been padding.

ZuluKat wrote:Loved the secret rooms!!! It's kind of hard right now to fully focus on games as we have fire evacuations going on here. But I'll give it a go again in a couple days in hard mode and explore better than first time.

If you're going to replay, it sounds like you enjoyed it. That's good to know.
Kes
Explorer

Postby blootooth » Thu May 05, 2022 2:31 pm

PASSWORD IS BLOCKED

Tried to download again via purchased link but it says Password Is Blocked.
Expiry date of download link is June 1, 2022.
Please help. +::sos
blootooth
Wanderer

Postby Indinera » Thu May 05, 2022 4:11 pm

Re-sent!
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Indinera
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to When the Light Dies - Help and Questions