Laxius Soul Forever Heroes Maiden Maiden Odessa When the Light Dies

Odessa - First impressions so far...!

Odessa - First impressions so far...!

Postby D-Squall » Sat May 28, 2022 1:47 am

I downloaded the demo and played. First of all: nice opening, nice graphics (MZ has the best Rpg Maker graphics so far = wotj the right assets and putting in good use, beautiful things can come out of it). The characters seems nice and likable and the enemy arts are gorgeous.

But since not all are sugar and rainbows, here we go. I didn't like that we couldn't enter in houses, instead we just talk to the person by the door. Spells could be used 3 times in battle, I know it was like that to create strategies but... on a rpg game that seems rather silly than strategic. And most importantly, in my honest opinion, the demo alone didn't made me want to buy the game, not because of what was mentioned before (I can't get past that) but because things didn't get me excited enough to think: oh wow, I so want to know what is going to happen next. Demos like Little Hearts and Witch Hunt for example, ended in moments that I wanted to know what would happen next. In Odessa it began very cold and stayed cold. No problem in games starting cold if it gets hot later, because they always does get hot, but in here... it really lacked something exciting. Of course I'll play the full game and I might have a different opinion with the whole game though, I just wanted to tell my first impressions here.
D-Squall
Aldorlian Legend

Re: Odessa - First impressions so far...!

Postby darkange » Sat May 28, 2022 7:41 am

@D-squall seems like we completely agree - I wonder where is littlebro to tell us why this game is so special and when does it actually get special...
I don't stop when I'm tired, I stop when I am done.
(David Goggins)
darkange
Bounty Hunter

Postby Indinera » Sat May 28, 2022 9:21 am

D-Squall wrote:I downloaded the demo and played. First of all: nice opening, nice graphics (MZ has the best Rpg Maker graphics so far = wotj the right assets and putting in good use, beautiful things can come out of it). The characters seems nice and likable and the enemy arts are gorgeous.

But since not all are sugar and rainbows, here we go. I didn't like that we couldn't enter in houses, instead we just talk to the person by the door. Spells could be used 3 times in battle, I know it was like that to create strategies but... on a rpg game that seems rather silly than strategic. And most importantly, in my honest opinion, the demo alone didn't made me want to buy the game, not because of what was mentioned before (I can't get past that) but because things didn't get me excited enough to think: oh wow, I so want to know what is going to happen next. Demos like Little Hearts and Witch Hunt for example, ended in moments that I wanted to know what would happen next. In Odessa it began very cold and stayed cold. No problem in games starting cold if it gets hot later, because they always does get hot, but in here... it really lacked something exciting. Of course I'll play the full game and I might have a different opinion with the whole game though, I just wanted to tell my first impressions here.

I hope so!
I agree the demo's a little bit short so I'll probably upload a longer one.
The game goes crescendo as the investigation thickens but I personally thought the cliffhanger in the demo was alright, as you're about to explore a new place.
• Play my latest games! ⬇️⬇️⬇️
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Indinera
Site Admin

Postby Indinera » Sat May 28, 2022 9:23 am

darkange wrote:@D-squall seems like we completely agree - I wonder where is littlebro to tell us why this game is so special and when does it actually get special...

I too think it's special and I also think you're a little bit fast to judge it. But the first parts are pretty classic fantasy RPG, I agree with you if that's what you mean. Things need some time to develop, especially from that base premise.
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Indinera
Site Admin

Postby littlebro » Sat May 28, 2022 10:23 am

Did I hear my name being mentioned?

Because of proof reading I have the advantage of an overview of how the story develops, and I think that gives me a different perspective. I agree that at first (Creeper Woods) things might seem a bit slow, but I think you have to keep in mind that for many potential players there are a lot of things which will be new and they will need a bit of time to learn them.

I've finished the mines (the next area) with 2 new characters and the pace has definitely picked up. Because I've got more characters and each character now has more skills, the skill limits are not 'limiting', if you see what I mean. I have found that with strategy I have so far not lacked viable options. If anything, those limits have obliged me to experiment with what all the skills do, rather than find one thing that works and keep repeating it, until I meet an enemy where it doesn't work and I have to learn from scratch what other things I can do.
littlebro
Ranger

Postby Indinera » Sat May 28, 2022 10:26 am

The 3/3 limit for technics has been introduced so people don't just go around spamming one same technic in case the battle turns out to their advantage (eg only one weak enemy left, stuff like that). I know I saw an open door to do that in my many test plays and I just didn't like it too much. I prefer more diverse picks and strategies and a more balanced gameplay.
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Indinera
Site Admin

Postby darkange » Sat May 28, 2022 11:14 am

Indinera wrote:The 3/3 limit for technics has been introduced so people don't just go around spamming one same technic in case the battle turns out to their advantage (eg only one weak enemy left, stuff like that). I know I saw an open door to do that in my many test plays and I just didn't like it too much. I prefer more diverse picks and strategies and a more balanced gameplay.

how many times a skill gets upgraded ? The first one need 60 casts ... after that what happens ? its max lvl for it ?
I don't stop when I'm tired, I stop when I am done.
(David Goggins)
darkange
Bounty Hunter

Postby Indinera » Sat May 28, 2022 11:22 am

darkange wrote:
Indinera wrote:The 3/3 limit for technics has been introduced so people don't just go around spamming one same technic in case the battle turns out to their advantage (eg only one weak enemy left, stuff like that). I know I saw an open door to do that in my many test plays and I just didn't like it too much. I prefer more diverse picks and strategies and a more balanced gameplay.

how many times a skill gets upgraded ? The first one need 60 casts ... after that what happens ? its max lvl for it ?

It's mastered at 60 uses and needs an extra 10 to combine with another one and create a super technic +::Thumbup
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Indinera
Site Admin

Postby kimo » Sat May 28, 2022 2:47 pm

darkange wrote: how many times a skill gets upgraded ? The first one need 60 casts ... after that what happens ? its max lvl for it ?

I know you probably aren't going to want to know this, but it seems that there is no way of knowing which 2 Technics need to be at "Lvl70" without reading the guide. I finally figured out that the Bar at the top of each technic tells you how many times you used it and what the next level is for mastery.

I was really trying to enjoy this game without the guide, but there are lots of event triggers that are not necessarily logical. For example, why would a party sleep in a local inn twice just to advance the plot? I guess it has just been a while since I encountered the "when in doubt, sleep" game strategy.
aloha,
kimo lange
kimo
Bounty Hunter

Postby Indinera » Sat May 28, 2022 3:00 pm

I know you probably aren't going to want to know this, but it seems that there is no way of knowing which 2 Technics need to be at "Lvl70" without reading the guide. I finally figured out that the Bar at the top of each technic tells you how many times you used it and what the next level is for mastery.

I think not everything should be known beforehand. It's part of the fun and to some extent guesswork to find out which technics will be needed.

I was really trying to enjoy this game without the guide, but there are lots of event triggers that are not necessarily logical. For example, why would a party sleep in a local inn twice just to advance the plot? I guess it has just been a while since I encountered the "when in doubt, sleep" game strategy.

I tend to think the second time is very obvious ;)
So you'd have to use the "when in doubt" strategy only once.
That said I've now made this part more straightforward and it'll be featured in the next update.
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Indinera
Site Admin

Postby Kes » Sat May 28, 2022 5:11 pm

As a dev I'm hesitant to jump in a discussion about someone else's game, but in this instance I'm also a player, so perhaps it's permissible.

I too thought the start was a little slower than some games I've played recently, but it didn't bother me, as not every story needs to set off at a cracking pace. It seemed to me that it fitted the slightly bewildered state that Callaghan is in. He doesn't have a clue what's going on, where he should go, what he should do. He's grasping at straws by following Rose's suggestion, not really believing that it's going to be much use. Things picked up speed in the mine and then doubled again later on. I've played several hours and I don't want to say too much because I think it would be a massive spoiler, but I can assure you it moves up several gears. Precisely because it started a bit slower I can really appreciate the greater urgency and pace now. If it had started off really fast, then that build up, that crescendo, couldn't happen.

As for the skills, it took me a short while to sort out what was going on - that's the problem with a dev trying to provide something a bit innovative, a bit out of the ordinary. I wasn't able to go through the battles on autopilot and had to pay a lot of attention until I got the full hang of it. Now I'm walloping those enemies with gusto and feel like I'm able to put one over on them.

My honest opinion is that this is a really enjoyable game. I noticed that it's got not just New Game+ but also New Game++, so I am hoping for great replay value.
Kes
Explorer

Postby Indinera » Sat May 28, 2022 5:26 pm

As for the skills, it took me a short while to sort out what was going on - that's the problem with a dev trying to provide something a bit innovative, a bit out of the ordinary.

I've added a "Gameplay Features" option in the Instructions tab on the main menu, that will explain that:

* all technics (skills and spells) can be mastered after 60 uses, and you can keep track of individual counts in the description field
* super technics can be acquired by combining 70+ uses of specific technics (up to you to discover which, if you master them all though you WILL get all super technics)

This will be featured in the next update as well.
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Indinera
Site Admin

Postby D-Squall » Sun May 29, 2022 1:11 am

Indinera wrote:I hope so!
I agree the demo's a little bit short so I'll probably upload a longer one.
The game goes crescendo as the investigation thickens but I personally thought the cliffhanger in the demo was alright, as you're about to explore a new place.

Oh, you also agree about the demo being too short? That's nice. I know demos are supposed to be small, but this time was waaaay too small. It's like I barely could feel the taste of the game, that is why I said that. And about my previous post, I meant I CAN get past that instead of CAN'T. lol My mistake.

littlebro wrote:Because of proof reading I have the advantage of an overview of how the story develops, and I think that gives me a different perspective. I agree that at first (Creeper Woods) things might seem a bit slow, but I think you have to keep in mind that for many potential players there are a lot of things which will be new and they will need a bit of time to learn them.

I see. But I tend to judge newer games based on my experience with past games from the same developer. Indinera is someone who's also trying something new with his game and it's great and we also can't stay the same forever, but it was an opinion of my own that using 3 times a spell in battle (FOR ME) is not something that I enjoy(even though I know veyr well it was to add strategy in battles).

Indinera wrote:I too think it's special and I also think you're a little bit fast to judge it. But the first parts are pretty classic fantasy RPG, I agree with you if that's what you mean. Things need some time to develop, especially from that base premise.

I don't like to judge games fast like that. My point here was to show my first impressions, and I created the topic because I was really excited to play the game (I'm still am). What I commented here my first impressions, good and bad... and frankly, the bad things that I commented weren't even thaaaat bad. I just thought I could share my thoughts politely here. I won't judge the game as a whole without playing it fully unlike those morons from steam.

Having saying that, I want to say that I'm about to buy the game and play it. To be honest it seems way too interesting to mis it and the game looks gorgeous.
D-Squall
Aldorlian Legend

Postby Indinera » Sun May 29, 2022 10:20 am

Having saying that, I want to say that I'm about to buy the game and play it. To be honest it seems way too interesting to mis it and the game looks gorgeous.

I'm glad to hear. Have fun! 8) +::music
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Indinera
Site Admin

Postby joie » Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:24 am

My first impressions are much different. I loved the demo. I loved the demo so much I broke the bank to buy the game (which cost me $32.25 Aussie). I enjoyed the game. I got stuck and I wrote to this forum and got great help.

I have got most of the way through the game. I am a slow player and so the time I have spent is not really indicative.

BUT I am unable to finish the game and I have stopped swearing at it and am now just stopped playing. I am in the volcano and completely unable to beat the villains. I am just about out of potions (and have used many many and many more to get this far). Found the boss at the hotel very difficult but made it. And another one at around the same place - very difficult and went through a lot of potions then.

But now I am giving up. I am just not strong enough. I am playing on normal. Well done for those that finished it and played it again. I can not imagine how.
joie
Wanderer

Next

Return to Odessa - Help and Questions