Laxius Soul Forever Heroes Maiden Maiden Odessa When the Light Dies

Sweet Lily Dreams - Beta testing

Re: Sweet Lily Dreams

Postby AJeeej » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:24 pm

Thanks, I will! :) Yeah, the turn-based system is more casual friendly, which this release is. Therefore there are no interesting weapons and armor. Stuff like that is too complicated for the target audience I'm afraid. But on the other hand, you can buy various dresses and weapons for Lily and these do affect the gameplay in interesting ways + changes her look. :3
AJeeej
Wanderer

Postby Tomas » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:06 pm

AJeeej wrote:...you can buy various dresses and weapons for Lily and these do affect the gameplay in interesting ways + changes her look. :3

How does these dresses and weapons exactly work? Are they normal pieces of equippment, or some kind of upradges? I mean, will I buy a "super silver sword" instead of "silver sword" (that will soon get replaced by "golden sword" anyway), or will I get something like "increases attack of your weapon"...?
Tomas
Ranger

Postby D-Squall » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:11 pm

I've seen a screen in OverCloud9 site that shows Melrose that Dream Creature that she can summon, what relation this game has with Whisper of a Rose? I mean, appart from being made by the same developer. +::biggrin
D-Squall
Aldorlian Legend

Postby AJeeej » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:43 am

@ ^: Haha, just wait and see! :D Can't be posting spoilers now.

Tomas wrote:
AJeeej wrote:...you can buy various dresses and weapons for Lily and these do affect the gameplay in interesting ways + changes her look. :3

How does these dresses and weapons exactly work? Are they normal pieces of equippment, or some kind of upradges? I mean, will I buy a "super silver sword" instead of "silver sword" (that will soon get replaced by "golden sword" anyway), or will I get something like "increases attack of your weapon"...?

They replace equipment, or rather are equipment. Lily's dresses have effects such as:

Protection against Poison
Protection against Thunder
etc.

And the weapons have effects like:

Strong against Water enemies
etc.

The idea of "Buy new weapons/armor every 3 levels just for a little bit more damage." isn't present in this game. So no Bronze Sword, Iron Sword, Silver Sword, Gold Sword, Super Gold Sword, Omega Platinum Gold Sword, etc.

But you work with this literally 3 minutes into the game already so just play the demo and you'll see. ^^
AJeeej
Wanderer

Postby Tomas » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:06 pm

How long will SLD be? Comparable to WoaR?
And will we have four party members as in WoaR or more than four + "change party" option?
Tomas
Ranger

Postby AJeeej » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:08 pm

Both the same as WoaR. :)
AJeeej
Wanderer

Postby Tomas » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:16 pm

What about the soundtrack? Will it be included in SLD or sold separately as in WoaR?

P.s. I like the battle music from Preview #2, sounds good. +::clap
Tomas
Ranger

Postby AJeeej » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:56 am

Well, I don't think it will be sold separately; not even half a dozen people bought it last time. And I can't give the entire sound track away for free because of the agreements with the composers... Well, we'll see. ^^ Depends on how many people will be interested. But thanks, glad you like that track! It's one of my favorites as well.
AJeeej
Wanderer

Postby Tomas » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:43 am

AJeeej wrote:And I can't give the entire sound track away for free because of the agreements with the composers...

That's too bad, I've always considered the separated soundtrack to be a welcome bonus, it's nice to play some of the tracks and bring back the memory of the corresponding scene from the game. :(
But well, it's true that most of the commercial games outside of RPG Maker games don't have free soundtrack, either.

Now another question - I saw a mention about some NPCs (at least I suppose that we are talking about NPCs here, based on the names) in SLD on the RPG Revolution site, such as Jekyll, Baba Yaga or Baron Samedi. That's quite an interesting cast! And I'm especially curious about Samedi - I found out at Wikipedia that he's a character from Haitian mythology, but I've heard that name for the first time when reading Count Zero (if I remember it right, maybe he was mentioned in Neuromancer already) from William Gibson. Is that where you have this name from?

One of the reasons why I'm so curious about it is that the Neuromancer (and the whole Sprawl trilogy) is one of the important works of Cyperpunk and the idea of iDream certainly fits well into this sci-fi genre, so I just wondered if this is one of the sources you draw your inspiration from.
Last edited by Tomas on Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tomas
Ranger

Postby AJeeej » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:16 pm

Yeah, I agree, I love replaying a game's music later as well. :) I'll be releasing at least some part of the music one way or the other.

That's a really intriguing connection you made between Baron Samedi and Cyberpunk/Sprawl, but reason why I chose Baron Samedi is actually not that deep. When starting production on Sweet Lily Dreams, I wanted to focus on ten horror-but-not-so-horror stories from pop culture or mythology, etc. I did a lot of reading and picked Baron Samedi (from indeed Haitian mythology) because a jungle area is a welcome variation. :)

I paid careful attention to the original mythology, buttt I dropped the part where Baron Samedi is a perverted sexist lol.

Do you know Baba Yaga? Her and Baron Samedi are some of the more obscure NPCs in the game.

[edit] New video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f65GG09DoUQ
AJeeej
Wanderer

Postby Tomas » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:33 pm

AJeeej wrote:Do you know Baba Yaga?

Hahaha, you have no idea! +::biggrin
You cannot know it, but here in Czech Republic, one of the most famous fairy-tales is a Russian film Morozko (1965) - it has been a traditional New Year's Eve TV fairy-tale for more than 40 years here! And in Morozko, there's a very famous scene with Baba Yaga, so trust me, there's probably no one here in Czech Republic who wouldn't know Baba Yaga... +::biggrin
Tomas
Ranger

Postby AJeeej » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:36 pm

Wow, that's awesome! I didn't know that. o_o I was in Czech Republic last summer. It's probably a cliché thing to say, but I looove Prague and the surrounding area.
AJeeej
Wanderer

Postby D-Squall » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:37 pm

Beautiful video, I liked the characters portraits. +::Thumbup
D-Squall
Aldorlian Legend

Postby Tomas » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:01 pm

AJeeej wrote:I was in Czech Republic last summer.

+::Thumbup
I guess you are the traveller type, then. I'm quite the opposite - I prefer to stay home and "travel" virtually by reading books and playing games (if this type of "travelling" counted than I would be quite an experienced traveller...). +::biggrin

Now back to the SLD - I saw the new video and characters have their own portraits already - are you in the beta-testing phase?
I also noticed two other things in the video (ok, these were in the second video already, but I only noticed them now):
First is the "active" text on top of the active character's portrait - seems very useful to me, because I occasionally lost track of the active character in WoaR and had to guess it from abilities.
Second is is the enemy health bar in the top right corner - it could be quite handy. On the other hand it may spoil some fights because you can estimate enemy's total HP quite well, but I guess that it fits nicely to the more causual style.

I also have another questions regarding to the crafting system:
Are some of the scrolls character-limited or any character can learn any of the spells?
And is it possible to "unlearn" the spell and get the scroll back if necessary (that would be equivalent of changing talents)? At least I suppose that there won't be unlimited amount of scrolls, so changing talents could be useful...
Tomas
Ranger

Postby AJeeej » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:13 pm

Hehe, that is definitely a form of traveling as well! Dreams, books, games... +::heart But yes, I like both forms. (:

You make some very sharp points again about the gameplay! Let me go over them:

Beta-testing: Not yet -- programming isn't done. I've just been playtesting myself to polish the scenes, etc. The first hour needs to be flawless.

"active": Good to hear! That's exactly why I added it.

Health bars: Yep, I don't care much for them myself (hence the lack of them in WoaR), but I got a lot of requests for them, and as you say it's pretty casual-friendly.

Scrolls: They are not character limited, but each character learns exclusive skills from leveling up as well. Once you use a scroll, you can go to an NPC in Rosaria and unlearn the skill to retrieve the 'unique' part of the ingredients. To get the rest back you will have to beat some more monsters. :) I'll have to make sure the system isn't overpowered during betatesting, though.

D-Squall wrote:Beautiful video, I liked the characters portraits. +::Thumbup

Thank you! :) I'll pass on the message to Bailey Gauthier, the portrait artist!

Also, some random pieces of information:
* There's a censor function in the game. (There's nothing PG-13+, but I want to give players the option to avoid the more violent scenes.)
* The tutorial messages are very pretty and polished.
* There's a very difficult dungeon to play through after the game's ending.
AJeeej
Wanderer

PreviousNext

Return to Creative Zone