Laxius Soul Forever Heroes Maiden Maiden Odessa When the Light Dies

Villainous stuff

Villainous stuff

Postby eridani » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:22 pm

What makes a good game villain? Who are the best villains you have come across in games? Whch really didn't make the mark?
eridani
Ranger

Re: Villainous stuff

Postby Huskyy » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:02 pm

If you have got a heart,don't be a villain! +::biggrin A good villain( +::lol ) must be heartless.Not necessary bloody,but should destroy things precious to the good people with cool head and without mercy.And never give up!
^My dress for Cloud Ball!Thanks trolls!:D

"Would you love a monsterman?
Could you understand beauty of the beast?"

"A wolf in disguise?Me?Oh no,no,no...I'm not even trying to disguise it."
ImageImage
Huskyy
Adventurer

Postby Sly Boots » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:19 am

When it comes to any story, I find the villain and the sidekick to be the most interesting characters. Gaming has seen plenty of fantastic villains such as Kefka (FF6), Sephiroth (perhaps a little overhyped by fanboys/girls but still a nicely developed villain), Luca Blight (Suikoden 2), Jon Irenicus (Baldur's Gate 2) and more. My personal favorite video game villain is probably Albedo from the Xenosaga trilogy.

I tend to like Shakespearean villains. Someone like Iago from Othello is a pretty complex character.

I'm not fond of surprise villains who just suddenly appear at the end of the game after not having been there at all. I couldn't stand Ultimecia, but then again FF8 never had a strong villain to begin with. In FF9, Kuja was a fantastic villain but how many people remember that final battle you fight after Trance Kuja?

There are so many qualities that make a great villain, but I think the most important is charisma. A good villain is one whose charisma can influence the masses. Think about it. The greatest real-life villains in world history were also some of the most charismatic people in history and were able to brainwash even strong-willed people into subservience.

In gaming, a good villain makes me want to play the game as them instead of the heroes. I don't care to play as Cloud, Vincent, Zack, or any of those people in FF7 and its offshoots. I want to play from beginning to end as Sephiroth, kick Cloud's hiney, and watch the world burn.
Last edited by Sly Boots on Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sly Boots
Wanderer

Postby Harlow » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:55 am

I agree with Sly Boots on the subject of charisma.

Also, to me the most interesting villains are the ones that, if not for a few hard knocks and wrong turns in life, could have been one of the "good guys," like me or you. I also like female villains because they're not that common.
Harlow
Explorer

Postby marphy » Sun May 24, 2009 7:46 am

I like villians that jump out and surprise you! Especially if they were your friend for the entire game and then they're your enemy. I love when a game maker keeps throwing me a loop - "This is the villian - oops! Nevermind, he's just a minion of the tru villian! Muahahahahaha!" (i.e.: Eternal Eden +::Thumbup )

Keep me thinking, Game Makers. Keep me thinking. +::biggrin
I made this. v
marphy
Wanderer

SPOILER!!!

Postby Ludicus » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:51 pm

I like villains who make you HATE them.Usually by killing some friend of the main character,like Dekker from Soldier of Fortune,who killed
Spoiler: show
Hawk
Well...he was useless anyway.
Ludicus
Peasant

Postby Sly Boots » Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:58 pm

I recall this one quote by Marilyn Manson: "I've just always asserted myself as a villain because the villain in any walk of life is the person who refuses to follow blindly and always wants to question things."

And I think that's a big reason why villains and anti-heroes are compelling.

Marphy- that's one thing I liked about Eternal Eden as well. It threw a massive red herring as to who the villain was. I like to think I'm an RPG veteran, but I fell for that red herring.
Sly Boots
Wanderer

Return to Let's Discuss about Games