Laxius Soul Forever Heroes Maiden Maiden Odessa When the Light Dies

Microsoft Window 7

Microsoft Window 7

Postby gunmis » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:24 am

some information for non Window 7 users. if you intend switching to window 7 you should be aware that you wont be able to play any games made with RPG Maker XP.
there is no problem playing games made with RPG Maker 2000, RPG Maker 2003 and RPG Maker VX.
all new desktop and laptop computers come with Window 7 Home Edition and those owners will not be able to play any games made with RPG Maker XP.
so that also means that in the not too distant future game makers who have made or are making games with the RPG Maker XP wont be able to sell there games any more.
so Damian should take note that any future games he makes should not be done any more with RPG Maker XP, but to switch to RPG Maker 2003 or better still to RPG Maker VX.
and what about all his games he made up to date? can he remake them with other RPG Makers? i don't think so. to much work involved. so the result will be, not much more income for his games.
his Laxius Power games will not be affected, but the bad news is that they are FREE games.
Tremble mere mortals the DARK MAGE is among you.
gunmis
Wanderer

Re: Microsoft Window 7

Postby Tomas » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:16 am

As far as I know all Aldorlea games are made in RPG Maker XP and they do work in Windows 7.
Tomas
Ranger

Postby gunmis » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:25 am

no. RPG Maker XP does not work with Window 7.
gunmis
Wanderer

Postby gunmis » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:38 pm

sorry, but my information is only for Window 7 64bits.
it does not apply to 32bit users.
gunmis
Wanderer

Postby Kale » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:29 am

Would you mind sharing your source on this information?

I'm finding it impossible to verify this claim, and yet I find myself growing ever more curious for it.
Kale
Explorer

Postby gunmis » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:17 am

well, i can only talk about my experience.
bought a new computer with window 7 home edition 64bit.
trying to play rpg maker xp games got the message its not possible.
updated my home edition to professional 64bit, i was able to install a virtual computer.
for this microsoft had a free download of the xp mode.
it is available because many business still have programs on their window xp.
i did install the xp mode on the virtual computer and therefore i was able to start playing rpg maker xp games,
but woe me, after playing for about 2 minutes the game slowed down to a crawl and it was impossible
to keep on playing. it also did not allow me to play in full screen.
so after that i contacted the help section and other sites dealing with this problem,
and it boiled down while the 64bit window is very powerful and is extra good for rams, the down site is that not many
other programs have yet switched over from 32bit to 64bit. so 64bit users just have to hang on till other companies
catch up including flash player and real player.
gunmis
Wanderer

Postby Tomas » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:35 am

And have you tried any of Aldorlea games such as Millennium or Laxius Force, was it working on your computer?
Tomas
Ranger

Postby gunmis » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:04 am

like i said the games slow down after a very short time and are unplayable including the latest release demo.
gunmis
Wanderer

Postby Kale » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:26 am

You can't really make a broad generalized statement like that based solely on your own unique experience though. :P

There are just as many people, more even, that have had no issues with Windows 7 and RPGMaker games.
------------------------

I'm not sure what to tell you about running RPGMaker XP games specifically though. Most everything out there is for troubleshooting RPGMaker XP, rather than the games created with it. Not many Windows 7 users seem to have run into issue with the games specifically. (Even with Vista, it was almost exclusively issues with the program itself, and not the games made with it.)

If you haven't tried this yet, you might at least look into the compatibility mode options. Right click on the game executable (or the icon on your desktop/start menu you normally use to launch the game) and click on properties. Click on the "compatibility" tab, then check 'run as admin' and select 'XP SP2' or 'XP SP3' as the compatibility mode. If that doesn't work, then maybe one of the more technically savvy members might be able to help.
Kale
Explorer

Postby Tomas » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:39 am

Maybe if someone with Windows 7 64bit could comment on this. There are certainly many users with Windows 7, the question is how many of them use the 64bit version.
I'm interested in this topic, because I'm currently using the good old Windows XP and my next OS will no doubt be Windows 7 64bit, so I'd like to know if there are some troubles with RPG Maker XP games under this OS or not.
Tomas
Ranger

Postby gunmis » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:51 am

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/window ... t-faq.aspx

http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/201 ... 64-to-x86/

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... -Windows-7

there are many more websites out there giving information about it.

but the problem with window 7 64bit which i reported has also been experienced by a friend of mine.
gunmis
Wanderer

Postby Tomas » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:41 am

The problem is not that I couldn't use Windows 7 32bit (When you buy Windows 7, you have both 32bit and 64bit installation DVD in the pack, I believe, so you can choose whatever version you want.), but the fact that 32bit version only can use about 3GB or RAM.
Tomas
Ranger

Postby Alikamou » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:12 pm

switched from xp to windows7 (64-bit)...not by choice but of a necessity (it broke +::cry ) Anyway...still learning my way through this newer setup (like the hidden files thing...kind of got it now) I may have some problems with certain games, but always on the downloads, my machine asks if it was downloaded alright or if I want to redownload in a compatibility mode. Of course my answer is yes to the compatibility and the games have run smoothly. I am experiencing the characters locking in certain directions more often and have to save and back out of the game. If when I play it again and it hasn't unlocked, then it's rebooting for me and it clears up. Any ideas why it will lock up like that?
Alikamou
WeaponMaster of Asguaard

Postby Indinera » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:31 pm

how often is a direction locked? to me it happens sometimes, but not so much, like once or twice a month (i do play a lot since i test my own games massively while making them)
• Play my latest games! ⬇️⬇️⬇️
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Indinera
Site Admin

Postby gunmis » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:31 pm

here is an explanation why window 7 XP mode is no good for gamers.

http://community.winsupersite.com/blogs ... -much.aspx
gunmis
Wanderer

Next

Return to Let's Discuss about Games