Laxius Soul Forever Heroes Maiden Maiden Odessa When the Light Dies

Most Popular Games on Aldorlea - Top 25 (2012)

Re: Most Popular Games on Aldorlea - Top 25 (2012)

Postby Cassiopeia » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:14 pm

I don't know what other people think. I can only speak for myself. For me DSC wasn't interesting enough. The dreams just weren't really "dreamy". The only one I really liked was Jack-the-Ripper-London.
Dreams have to be crazy and weird. Like Alex's dreams in LF. I found those dreams much better.
In DSC some of the dreams are normal dungeons like in other games. The caves for instance. There's nothing "dreamy" about them.
The concept of travelling through dreams is great I think. It's just that the dreams themselves were not what I expected.
Cassiopeia
Hero

Postby Indinera » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:23 pm

Because it was never supposed to be all that dreamy, but rather the favorite dream of each character.
Erin loved Egypt so she was taken there. Peeboo wanted a place full of cheese and he got it etc.

Alex' dreams were rather nightmares and I could use that side of it to make surreal things. If this is what you wanted then Dreamscape is not exactly about that.

I agree about Jack the Ripper. I thought the "King Kong" part was one of the best too, I absolutely love the sounds of crows in the background, makes it quite "empty" as a place, yet ominous.

And the meteor fall, c'mon, a METEOR FALL!!! +::wizard +::biggrin
• Play my latest games! ⬇️⬇️⬇️
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Indinera
Site Admin

Postby Cassiopeia » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:39 pm

Indinera wrote:Because it was never supposed to be all that dreamy, but rather the favorite dream of each character.
Erin loved Egypt so she was taken there. Peeboo wanted a place full of cheese and he got it etc.

I understand what you mean. It was just my own personal perception that I would have liked it more surreal.
I don't remember King Kong (I played the game only once), but yeah, the meteors were cool too. +::clap
Cassiopeia
Hero

Postby littlebro » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:03 pm

Great results for the top 5. TBOL was the best release from anyone in 2012, so it's not surprising that it was way ahead of anything else. I'm pleased that LF3 managed to get in there too, as they are my 2 most favourite games.
littlebro
Ranger

Postby Indinera » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:54 am

Yes LF3 even edged out all-time behemoth Asguaard. +::wizard
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Indinera
Site Admin

Postby Aggeliki » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:59 am

congrats on guessing the top 5 right Tomas!

LF higher than Asguaard? a surprise indeed!and TBOL holds its winning place! +::YAY
Aggeliki
Ranger

Postby Indinera » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:44 am

LF3 higher than Asguaard :)
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Indinera
Site Admin

Postby nancyred » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:37 am

Dreamscape may have done better if:
1) it allowed inventory storage of food/restorative items that were picked up from the ground,
2) it had at least one inn or other place to recover without worrying about incurring a penalty,
3) it had a stronger storyline, and
4) it had a real ending, rather than suggesting that the heroine never actually woke from her dream.
Yes, I realize these are all aspects of the game design. I'm just saying that maybe it would have been more popular if demo players had more familiar RPG elements in their one-hour trial, and reviews to read that let them know if the ending was worth the play.
nancyred
Mercenary

Postby Indinera » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:32 pm

Dreamscape didn't do bad though. It did better than Sylia for instance.
What caused Dreamscape to be passed by other games is that it had basically the weakest legs of all my games. Very strong start and then very short tail of sales (in comparison to the others, that is).
At the end of the day, considering all the data (ie not just Aldorlea), it's about in the middle, and ahead of Millennium 2 for instance. The reason is that it was very successful on some portals.
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Indinera
Site Admin

Postby Tomas » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:45 pm

Indinera wrote:...considering all the data (ie not just Aldorlea)...

So you have the total numbers. Will you ever reveal the "complete" (i.e. including all the portals) charts?
Tomas
Ranger

Postby Indinera » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:56 pm

In terms of actual sales or "profit"?
There is something funny I noticed a long time ago: albums (musical ones) are usually ranked in terms of sales. Whereas movies are ranked in terms of money made. The chart wouldn't be the same depending on whether I go for one or the other. +::O_o
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Indinera
Site Admin

Postby Tomas » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:26 pm

Indinera wrote:In terms of actual sales or "profit"?
There is something funny I noticed a long time ago: albums (musical ones) are usually ranked in terms of sales. Whereas movies are ranked in terms of money made. The chart wouldn't be the same depending on whether I go for one or the other. +::O_o

I guess that sales are better for showing the actual popularity. I believe that the movie charts use profit simply because the price of cinema tickets has increased greatly in last few decades and this makes the current blockbuster to look way more successful than they really are (it's especially true for 3D movies).
Tomas
Ranger

Postby Indinera » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:30 pm

I guess that sales are better for showing the actual popularity.

I don't think so. A more expensive game would have sold more at a cheaper price for sure. So popularity is probably more connected to income. Also keep in mind some games sell a lot because they are on more places on the Internet.
Sales would equal popularity if all prices and levels of exposure were similar.

I believe that the movie charts use profit simply because the price of cinema tickets has increased greatly in last few decades and this makes the current blockbuster to look way more successful than they really are (it's especially true for 3D movies).

Yes but it's probably not the reason since the Box Office has always been (at least to my knowledge) about dollars.
Sales of albums acan be very delusive too. Some albums get discounted, others don't, and so on.
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Indinera
Site Admin

Postby Tomas » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:47 pm

Ok, it's true that this can be quite complicated. What I meant was that the number of sales can show the number of people who played the game. And for me, a 1 USD game with 10000 sales is more popular then 10 USD one with 1000 sales.
It's still much more complicated than this, though (buying a game doesn't equal to finishing it, cheap price means that some people will try it even if not very interested and so on).
Tomas
Ranger

Postby Indinera » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:10 pm

What I meant was that the number of sales can show the number of people who played the game. And for me, a 1 USD game with 10000 sales is more popular then 10 USD one with 1000 sales.

But a 1USD game at 10K sales vs a 20USD one at 1K sale? Hmmm?

It's still much more complicated than this, though (buying a game doesn't equal to finishing it, cheap price means that some people will try it even if not very interested and so on).

Yup, impulsive sales lol

Some people spent 300 hours on LF so maybe Laxius is the most played RM game ever +::whistle +::biggrin
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Indinera
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Let's Discuss about Games