Laxius Soul Forever Heroes Maiden Maiden Odessa When the Light Dies

Oldschool?

Oldschool?

Postby rulezz » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:43 pm

So, I wasn't checking onto indy games for quite a while, since LF 2 release I think.

Have been a fan since the LP 3 release tho, and loved the whole LP 1-3, Blades of heaven, Lax team to the rescue, Laxius party(I bought the LF 1, which was a bit weaker than LP series, but still good enough, didn't buy LF 2+ tho yet, still thinking if it's worth it, considering that LP 1-3 were free and were even more enjoyable for me, but I guess I will buy them in the end, since I have some free time right now..)

But yeah, about my main question - where are all the oldschool games gone? None of the free games are here and I can't seem to connect into laxiusforce.org

Also a few fast questions:
1) Planning to buy some aldorlea game series, so a question:
What do you suggest - LF anthology or Millenium anthology(I personally thinked of LF, since I am in common with LP series + finished LF1 already, but how good is millenium compared to LF series, which do you prefer? I personally didn't like LF1 too much, LP series were more intriguing(maybe it gets better from part 2?), so if you consider Millenium is better I will just take it I guess o-o)

2) If I decide to buy LF, I am interested at what point in LP/LF series does 3 stars of destiny stand as in at which point do you play it? Oo
rulezz
Peasant

Re: Oldschool?

Postby D-Squall » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:12 pm

I remember that there was a fan site where you could download and ask questions about Laxius Power series, Blades of Heaven and others. I'm still very upset with the "downfall" of the Laxius games site but I'm sure there was another site where you could get them.

And I suggest you buying the Laxius Force series, since it looks like you're great fan of this series and Random and his friends. Besides, it's a great game series. :)
D-Squall
Aldorlian Legend

Postby Indinera » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:40 pm

But yeah, about my main question - where are all the oldschool games gone? None of the free games are here and I can't seem to connect into laxiusforce.org

Play The Book of Legends, it's the closest to LP in style, easily. :)
It has a great main hero, too.

1) Planning to buy some aldorlea game series, so a question:
What do you suggest - LF anthology or Millenium anthology(I personally thinked of LF, since I am in common with LP series + finished LF1 already, but how good is millenium compared to LF series, which do you prefer? I personally didn't like LF1 too much, LP series were more intriguing(maybe it gets better from part 2?), so if you consider Millenium is better I will just take it I guess o-o)

Plot-wise LF2 and 3 are IMO much better than LF1. Chapter 7 or LF2 and Chapter 11 and 13 of LF3 are some of my best works. MM is more casual, I'd recommend LF for someone like you.

2) If I decide to buy LF, I am interested at what point in LP/LF series does 3 stars of destiny stand as in at which point do you play it? Oo

3 Stars is a prequel to LP1. :)
• Play my latest games! ⬇️⬇️⬇️
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Indinera
Site Admin

Postby rulezz » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:46 pm

Squall, yeah, I am very disappointed too..
So many good games discussions + stuff is gone.

LP 1-3 were a very good series, LF1 didn't catch my attention as much(but I guess I will still try to finish 2 and 3, at least for the sake of seeing how the laxius saga ends)

For standalone games.. Blades of Heaven was better than any indy's current standalone game IMO(I tried most already, but not all tho, the ones I tried were Asguaard, Moonchild and Sylia - but blades of heaven is a tier higher above all of those IMO)
Although I always wanted Blades of Heaven having a sequel, I still consider it standalone, as dreams for the sequel are kinda gone already XD

The LP series were the ones that brought me into RPG maker world o-o Found out a lot of great games thanks to that.

What is sad is that I am currently thinking - if the laxius saga started with LF and not LP back in the year I started to play(was it 2003.. or 2004, I don't remember), I wouldn't even get attracted to the series... It's a big mistake to drop off free games out of forums for economy purpose IMO D:

I personally bought quite a few of indy's new games(4 or 5), but only thanks to the old freeware games, which were much more interesting and when I pay for a new Indy game, I actually pay with thoughts of respect for the freeware games.(since I consider them more worth the money)

EDIT: thanks for the answers, indy, guess I will start with 3 stars then to refresh memories of the series and then continue with LF 2/3 I have yet to buy o-o
EDIT 2: what an irony, one of the few standalone games you suggest - Book of legends... is the one I didn't try yet XD I hope it will surprass the other standalones of yours :D
rulezz
Peasant

Postby Indinera » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:49 pm

the.book.of.legends.
*coughs coughs*

my best :)
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Indinera
Site Admin

Postby rulezz » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:53 pm

Yesh, then I got my start point for now :D

Didn't have time to play anything besides standalone of yours from time to time, but now I can actually afford myself a few hours a day :D

Then it's a start off with The Book of Legends and then continuing on with the 3 stars/LF :D
rulezz
Peasant

Postby D-Squall » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:14 pm

Great choice starting with The Book of Legends. :D
D-Squall
Aldorlian Legend

Postby Tomas » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:49 pm

rulezz: TBOL is really close to good old LP, so you should probably like it.
Still, LF is imo no worse than LP, but it's really hard to enjoy such a time consuming serie once you have little time. MM is much easier to play in such a case.
Tomas
Ranger

Postby Aggeliki » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:02 pm

i popped in here to recommend a game! it is called Lunar Wish:stars of Fate and it is a really nice free rpg with good story and nice features! and it is the first of the series i think..
Aggeliki
Ranger

Postby loof123 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:04 pm

I found one named "Orbs of Fate" but no "Stars of Fate" :)
loof123
PhysicMage of Arkadya

Postby Aggeliki » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:27 pm

oopsie! that's the one sorry loof!it is actually good, with no bugs etc..the beginning is a bit slow but as the story unfolds it gets more interesting and the gameplay better.. :)
Aggeliki
Ranger

Postby loof123 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:32 pm

I already downloaded it, liked the premise :) Will play it as soon as I finish MM5!
loof123
PhysicMage of Arkadya

Postby rulezz » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:33 pm

Beat the TBOL a few days ago and I must tell: the most decent of the indy's commercial games, which I would suggest anyone, who has choice to buy only a few games(trust me, I passed quite a few of those commercial games, not considering the millenium series)

Important: if you played laxius power before TBOL - it may spoil the ending of TBOL big time.(may not, depending on your memory and deduction)
Spoiler: show
In laxius power there was a dialogue(god I don't even remember which chapter it was, but probably LP3) where there was a dialogue, where you were told that demons can talk to animals.
This along with the suspicious start made me assume from the beginning that jordan was a demon or aligned with them. But past that I had another theory - Jordan did this all on purpose(ressurecting demons), hiding it from his party afterwards.
Also the people in the castle all looked suspicious from the beginning(I am actually surprised not all of them were partnered with demons for some reason.. the king for example looked the most suspicious, I swear I could bet 100$ that he was one of the masterminds behind the whole plan)

But unless you count that - story was pretty good, there weren't too many twists, but it was a strong 4 for sure.

What I loved the most - like in most others indi games - the Characters:
Jordan - well, I can't tell if I loved him or hated him the most lol. I loved him character wise - he was a bit overly proud of the powers he had, but the personality was pretty good - egoistic, but not disrespectful. He also acted a bit more mature headly than random big time.
Probably loved him more than random, he seems worth of being a random father so to say... actually I wouldn't be surprised if the child he had with melusine would be random, who would the run away from being a future king to become a wanderer like father XD
But I hate having spent so much on developing him just so that he becomes weaker than hans lol(also he can equip what 3 or 4 weapons throughout whole game and 1 of this is from the secret traditional shop? o-o too low for main hero for sure XD the nunchaku from traditional shop pretty much lasted until I repaired the secret rod, which afterwards lasted till the end o-o)

Hans - hands down, with 1 or 2 dialogues he had, he impressed me enough to make him my most used character. I realy expected to grow a beast out of this chicken XD
Too bad nothing happened in lvl 99, I thought that him wanting to stop being the bottom of food chain was a personal challenge or something XD

Animals - quite useful, much better than in LP series, as all have their own use basically. Also what I loved is animal balance(tiger>bear>wolf), loved that the strength realy depended on type of animal and even with lvl 99 the chicken wouldn't be as strong as pacha at his starting level.
Also cow/horse/raccoon/fox all had their own interesting uses(first for milk, which was more of a for fun, 2nd was for world map fastening, 3rd and 4th helped in more than 1 quest)

Nagam - the biggest amount of funny dialogues were containing him, so he is a great character with his own personal goal.

Luis - overly proud dragon, reminded me of nash big time(also was quite strong like nash used to be, at least before everyone got overpowered relics in LP3)

Now onto main heroines:

Jasmine - the first you encounter, relations with jordan remind me of a random-wendala relations, something like slave/master. She was pretty fine, but I did betray her, so I can't tell much about her.

Melusine - the girl I chose.. well, she was practical let's say, just chose her to abuse to be honest - many advantages come with allying a princess I guess o-o Didn't have a single regret of choosing her - no matter what I did, I always saw melusine doing something good for you(be it paying for you or even giving you money directly or even helping someone in a side quest)
You could compare her to sarah from LP series - proud of herself, pretty active, but kind hearted. The only difference is sarah doesn't have an overly huge pride of her status, since well.. she wasn't someone to begin with, a simple elf XD Relations were also similiar to random-sarah.

Alex - well, pretty interesting character, a 'popular girl'. She was pretty lovely, but why do all weak girls tell they are fighters(melusine and alex), while some like zetta, who actually seems the strongest in the world never ever mentioned her power o-o

Choosing chars from different schools - interesting system, where you can pick chars, but it would be great if they at least described their powers BEFORE I chose, like a fast party display or something, didn't want to bother with save/load + you never know what spells they get with lvls.. I wanted to choose ana's school first, since ana looked awesome, almost as demonical as jordan and she sounded like she was strongest, but then I chose zetta/zara, since I simply have some fetish for melancholic girls(but it turned out they were crazily strong too, so I enjoyed my choice, doubt that even ana could surprass those 2, but didn't try her, so can't tell)

Well, enough with the chars.

Sounds, Graphics, Mapping - pretty good, it's a 5-, since it had some texture misses, so in some places you could walk through walls or even partly walk in the air(I think I clicked on every tile in this game, so I found quite a lot of those bugs lol) and knowing you I was waliking around searching for a secret, before finally realising this was either a bug or tease XD That's all you and your random secrets, I even still remember the sword dropping from the sky in LP3, so in some places that looked suspicious I even left to make tea just in case there will be something along those lines XD

Side quests/secrets - not that rewarding most of the time, out of 15 or so hidden objects only 1 or 2 were equips and out of 3 equips only 1 was actually more worth it than shop one.
Also some side quests didn't even give any reward, which is weird. In some you had to find hidden reward which is pretty logical, but not having a reward at all can be sad.

If I were to make positive/negative sides of the game compared to other commercial games, it would look like this:

+:
Good characters(but that counts for most of your games tho)

Enjoyable storyline, doesn't get boring at the very least, so you have interest throughout whole game.

Probably the most mature out of commercial games up to the date(it could still be better, but anything's better than having 99% of only polite dialogues as in most of other commercial only games, jordan added at least a bit of mildly harsh dialogues)

Variety of choices that affect ending in some way(although not as hugely as it may have been)

-: No puzzles/minigames/something unique(I loved such stuff, like blades of heaven used to have or a few small lever games in LP series, anything would be good, as long as it distracts from the same killing of stuff over and over)

Not challenging/too many encounters(I consider there should be quality over quantity in random battles - battles happened way too often and they were way too easy to enjoy, need to be the other way - less battles, but actually challenging and rewarding)

Balance is rather bad(spells were too weak, especially single target, some weapons were overly strong - I look at you, mortel and legendary assassin sabre.. although both are optional rewards,having even those 2 makes close to any battle last 1 turn)

Overall though, it was realy enjoyable, especially compared to all the other stand alone 1 chapter games and the few negative points it had didn't prevent from having fun with it :D
rulezz
Peasant

Postby Indinera » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:42 pm

very interesting, thanks! oh and, you had this, too! :razz:
viewtopic.php?f=185&t=7533
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Indinera
Site Admin

Return to Let's Discuss about Games