Laxius Soul Forever Heroes Maiden Maiden Odessa When the Light Dies

More games coming to Steam?

More games coming to Steam?

Postby Axer » Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:56 pm

Was really surprised and glad to finally see rpg maker and especially aldorlea games on steam. Bought nearly all of your games there as I really like steam's features.

Working on any atm to polish em up and bring em to steam?

I see a lot of your affiliates games showing up there regularly, but more interesting in your own games.

EG: You know, those 3 big games that you show on that splash screen in undefeated and several other games on steam, every game from that nice pic is on steam except those.

I bought them years ago and kinda marathoned all 3 back to back. By the middle of laxius force 3 I got kinda burnt out and never finished it (I played max difficulty and looked for all the secrets so I was some 180+ hour in heh).
Would be nice to awesome it up on a polished up steam release with lots of hard/interesting achievements to get.

Also liked how much more perverted those games are lol. Especially the first before it got censored a bit (I played the old version on purpose heh). Maybe if you do a steam release give a uncensored option.

Plus having a steam copy would let me remember I own the game heh. Just bought it on GMG and some time after I remembered I bought it here on your store years ago too, so yea lemme pay for it a third time heh.
Axer
Peasant

Re: More games coming to Steam?

Postby Indinera » Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:24 pm

Working on any atm to polish em up and bring em to steam?

Actually I want to keep several ones exclusive to Aldorlea, at least for a long time.

I see a lot of your affiliates games showing up there regularly, but more interesting in your own games.

I know, thanks. +::biggrin

EG: You know, those 3 big games that you show on that splash screen in undefeated and several other games on steam, every game from that nice pic is on steam except those.

I bought them years ago and kinda marathoned all 3 back to back. By the middle of laxius force 3 I got kinda burnt out and never finished it (I played max difficulty and looked for all the secrets so I was some 180+ hour in heh).
Would be nice to awesome it up on a polished up steam release with lots of hard/interesting achievements to get.

Yeah some people LOVE to bits Laxius Force, I'm glad you're one of them.
It has so much work and effort put into it, compared to the tons of generic games you see showing up on Steam, exactly.

Also liked how much more perverted those games are lol. Especially the first before it got censored a bit (I played the old version on purpose heh). Maybe if you do a steam release give a uncensored option.

Nah, the uncensored version is full of bugs, spelling errors etc. It never got updated really.

Plus having a steam copy would let me remember I own the game heh. Just bought it on GMG and some time after I remembered I bought it here on your store years ago too, so yea lemme pay for it a third time heh.

Haha lol
• Play my latest games! ⬇️⬇️⬇️
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Indinera
Site Admin

Postby Axer » Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:51 am

Indinera wrote:Actually I want to keep several ones exclusive to Aldorlea, at least for a long time.

I could understand having maybe a 6 month or year long exclusive, for your big new titles, like say laxius S.. If you want to keep the price high or something, I can wait.

But um yea laxius force 3 came out in what 2009? I feel like a 6 year exclusive is probably long enough?

I know you can charge more on here and not having valve take a cut, etc.. But I think ultimately in the long run you will find your income from steam far outweighs what you get here, as it's a massive platform - the more game syou have on there, the more they will show up on the front page and get more traction and over time become bigger and bigger. Just being featured once can get your a huge amount of sales. Where as here on your site, fans of this type of games that search around will probably find you, but your average player who just enjoys rpgs in general likely wont.

Indinera wrote:Nah, the uncensored version is full of bugs, spelling errors etc. It never got updated really.

I played through laxius force 1 in the oldest version I could find 100%. Really never noticed any bugs. Sure I noticed your english/grammar improved a bit in 2 and 3, but it wasn't anything major, and I imagine keeping those update, but back porting the censored bits wouldn't be too much work. But yea i can imagine why you'd not want to.

Anyways yea, looking forward to more of your release on steam. I'll wait for them as I much prefer to have achievements and games on steam in general vs your sites drm set up.
Axer
Peasant

Postby Indinera » Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:32 am

But um yea laxius force 3 came out in what 2009? I feel like a 6 year exclusive is probably long enough?

I'm disappointed in the way Steam manages "popular releases" (ie a chart not based on income - UNLIKE ALL THEIR OTHER ONES - but other meaningless things instead) and a few other things too, so I'm not putting all my games there for now.

I know you can charge more on here and not having valve take a cut, etc.. But I think ultimately in the long run you will find your income from steam far outweighs what you get here, as it's a massive platform - the more game syou have on there, the more they will show up on the front page and get more traction and over time become bigger and bigger. Just being featured once can get your a huge amount of sales.

Being featured is not based on sales or income and I can't support that. It's based instead on silly things like giving away free keys to give the impression the game is popular. IF Steam would make the "popular releases" chart like the rest of their charts (ie based on income), I would put my other games.
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Indinera
Site Admin

Postby Axer » Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:47 pm

mm?

Steam's homepage, popular releases, etc are all dynamic, and based on the user viewing it.

It keeps a history of games you play the most, and recommends based off that.

My home page for example features your games on there often.

Other people who like sports games will see sports games.

Also clearly doesn't favor big publishers since like I said, I see your games on there often as well as other small indie developers games. And I don't only play rpg maker games, I play the big releases too.

The only other things i see featured are based on the steam curators I subscribe too.

Exactly how it work isn't perfect sure, but they are always working on it, and it uses a pretty smart, very complex system to determine who see's what, and everyone see's different stuff. So it's pretty hard to get a fair gauge of how often your games get on someone's front page as one person.

So dunno, think you'll need to do more research on how it works, seems you have a unfair bias against it. Steam is extremely friendly to indie developers like yourself and very much so feature your games. In fact pretty sure I first found out about them on steam from the front page. That's what you should go on, feedback from your fans, not perceived algorithms.
Axer
Peasant

Postby Valdy » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:06 am

I don't get games from Steam. I already have the Game Manager from BigFish on my computer, and don't want another one. Besides, I have heard rumours of hacks on their site and that there is the odd virus here and there to be found with Steam.

I much prefer to buy directly from Aldorlea. Even games featured on other sites I prefer to buy them from here. It's a safe site, and it's easy to download and install the games.

--- --- ---

BTW, Axer... one more time: welcome to the Aldorlea site. I guess you didn't see my post in your other thread, or maybe you did and just ignored it. LOL
Valdy
Explorer

Postby Indinera » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:33 pm

Steam's homepage, popular releases, etc are all dynamic, and based on the user viewing it.

Nah, they are based on "popularity", but they use an algorithm to calculate it that IMO is very poorly designed.

My home page for example features your games on there often.

You must be mistaking what i'm talking about with the "top banner" and the big images put in a carousel.
I'm talking about the "new popular releases" section and this features only the latest released games.

So dunno, think you'll need to do more research on how it works, seems you have a unfair bias against it.

Not at all lol we are just not talking about the same thing. I've all the data I need to have a very fair stand on it.

Steam is extremely friendly to indie developers like yourself and very much so feature your games.

+::O_o
Steam has never put a single release of mine in the "new popular releases" section, which is the very best way for a game to skyrocket in sales (logical since it is the most visible section and also the most flattering one, in the sense that if a game is there, it is perceived by the steam users as "popular", so an interesting and well made/loved product). That's why Steam users are far more likely to buy game A or game B if it shows up as a new popular release, as opposed to if it doesn't.
My games have never benefited from this "popularity" bias (and bonus) and have always had to find their audience another way so no, I wouldn't call Steam friendly to them.
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Indinera
Site Admin

Postby Indinera » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:35 pm

I much prefer to buy directly from Aldorlea. Even games featured on other sites I prefer to buy them from here. It's a safe site, and it's easy to download and install the games.

Thank you very much. You also get all the exclusive games by doing so.

BTW, Axer... one more time: welcome to the Aldorlea site. I guess you didn't see my post in your other thread, or maybe you did and just ignored it. LOL

+::Thumbup
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Indinera
Site Admin

Postby Valdy » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:27 pm

Since I read the first post in this thread I had a feeling that Axer only joined here to persuade Indi to add more games at Steam, where they are cheaper.

And Axer, you make Indi developers sound like the poor relation to the BIG ones (that have no say over their own work, but are owned by a publisher). Keeping full control over your work is a very good thing, IMO. And there are quite a few BIG developers who are also independent devs.
Valdy
Explorer

Postby Axer » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:18 pm

re: my reason for signing up. Well read this forums for years and actually signed up and posted years ago already just lost that account. Just a supporter of indineras games so I thought id give my feedback. Pretty unfair to infer anything further.

If you must know my deep dark evil secrets: im just an achievement whore, and well you can't earn any if you buy the games on the site here.

Indinera wrote:Steam has never put a single release of mine in the "new popular releases" section, which is the very best way for a game to skyrocket in sales (logical since it is the most visible section and also the most flattering one, in the sense that if a game is there, it is perceived by the steam users as "popular", so an interesting and well made/loved product). That's why Steam users are far more likely to buy game A or game B if it shows up as a new popular release, as opposed to if it doesn't.
My games have never benefited from this "popularity" bias (and bonus) and have always had to find their audience another way so no, I wouldn't call Steam friendly to them.

That's a interesting theory. But ultimately that's all it is. Exactly where on the page (in this case your referring to the very bottom with the default steam layout) affects game sales is a pretty out there concept imo.

Ultimately popular games will get more popular and less popular titles will have to be sought out. But in the case of steam, it used to just put popular titles up at the front for the millions to see, but thats simply not the case anymore.

The "popular new release" section I, and everyone I know, finds very useless. Because it scrolls insanely fast and is filled with cruft I have no interst in. So I never even look at it. And I'm a huge user of steam, have hundreds of games and tons of friends on there, other big supporters of it like totalbiscuit also had lengthy videos on why that section was so useless. They improved it a lot lately, but for me, and im sure most players - its just not super relevant.

Bottom line is good games will sell, players will find them. There's tons of ways these days and people who enjoy old school rpgs will find eventually find your games and they will get more popular. I wouldn't worry about algorithms and minute details and just focus on what youve been doing best for years - making great rpgs.

The vast majority of players will see what's on the front page. Exactly whats right up in there face the moment they open steam, thats what to will bring in players the fastest. And here's how it looks for me:
https://i.imgur.com/N6xOrH7.jpg
Axer
Peasant

Postby Indinera » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:55 pm

Just a supporter of indineras games so I thought id give my feedback. Pretty unfair to infer anything further.

I personally saw you the way you describe yourself. ;)

If you must know my deep dark evil secrets: im just an achievement whore, and well you can't earn any if you buy the games on the site here.

Good that most of my games have them then. +::lol

That's a interesting theory. But ultimately that's all it is.

It's not a theory. I've got insider figures of course.

Exactly where on the page (in this case your referring to the very bottom with the default steam layout) affects game sales is a pretty out there concept imo.

The section I'm talking is "Popular New Releases" and it's not very difficult to see it (it's the main tab a bit below the carousel on the homepage). This section "picks" games not based on actual income but other things instead, unlike all their "best-selling" charts. Steam has NEVER placed a single game of mine there although it's a section that can easily turn far more sales for a given title. Additionally, Steam placed games that were selling less than some of mine there, sometimes for very obscure reasons, sometimes for stupid things like massive free key activations or planted reviews obtained from said free keys.

The "popular new release" section I, and everyone I know, finds very useless.

My insider figures establish it can easily change the sales of a game during the time it's showing up there.

Because it scrolls insanely fast and is filled with cruft I have no interst in.

It doesn't scroll at all. It's just a selection of 10 games at a given time. Also (possibly more importantly), you do not seem to realize that calling a game "popular" has a HUGE effect on how players see it. It's not only about the additional exposure, but also the influence created by labeling a game "popular", in other words, worth purchasing safely.

So I never even look at it.

But what about the million other players? After all, if you're one of my "supporters", yes you probably don't care for it, because you are not as easily influenced as most (otherwise you would be a supporter of the other "popular" games instead). That doesn't rule out the tons of people who ARE easily influenced and who therefore are bound to overlook my games, even though they sell perfectly fine and often better on equal ground.

And I'm a huge user of steam, have hundreds of games and tons of friends on there, other big supporters of it like totalbiscuit also had lengthy videos on why that section was so useless. They improved it a lot lately, but for me, and im sure most players - its just not super relevant.

Well you guys don't have the stats and figures we devs have, do you? It is established any game thrown on there sees its sales skyrocket.

Bottom line is good games will sell, players will find them.

With hard work you can fill up partially the gap caused by the "popular releases" section, but nothing more.
A game never fully recovers from missing a position there.

There's tons of ways these days and people who enjoy old school rpgs will find eventually find your games and they will get more popular.

They will find the "popular new" ones first and mine MAYBE only after they have tried these. I'm sure you see why this is not a very enviable situation for me. Additionally, with the power of influence (undeniable on human beings), they will be more likely to like a game that they know is in "popular releases", than one that is not. It's a double penalty.
For all these reasons, it takes a strong mind to find and support my games on Steam.

I wouldn't worry about algorithms and minute details and just focus on what youve been doing best for years - making great rpgs.

Well, I do.
I can't change their algo, can I? But I don't want to hear it's fair (!) or favorable to my games (!!!!!!) when it's the complete contrary.

The vast majority of players will see what's on the front page. Exactly whats right up in there face the moment they open steam, thats what to will bring in players the fastest. And here's how it looks for me:
https://i.imgur.com/N6xOrH7.jpg

The carousel is nowhere near as potent as the "new popular releases" section. Plus, it's indeed dynamic. So you see games of mine because you've bought games of mine. But people who buy the "new popular releases" instead (ie most people on Steam, based on sales figures) will never see a single game of mine in there either.

Trust me, if they get rid of that "popular" section that is creating gaps between games, I'll happily add the rest of my games, as I like to see what happens on fair ground. And also because I do like Steam and I think it has many great features, but until it happens, it has become less of a priority regarding my games.
Seeing them soft-released all the time (ie released but visible only in subpages of a website) is not very interesting for me and doesn't make me feel very valued. In that regard, I preferred the old Steam which didn't have that section, but I understand they had too many releases to continue like that.
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Indinera
Site Admin

Postby briony » Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:43 pm

[quote="Axer"]re: my reason for signing up. Well read this forums for years and actually signed up and posted years ago already just lost that account. Just a supporter of indineras games so I thought id give my feedback. Pretty unfair to infer anything further.

I do not think anybody was being unfair to you in inferring what you are saying but as I read your comments I cannot but get the feeling that you are a "Steam" supporter more than an Aldorlea one and you yourself are bias- Indie would have more experience in what goes on behind the scenes than either you or me would know so I would leave the decisions to put games onto Steam to the experts and if you wish to just play for the achievements than stay with Steam+: +::grrr
briony
DreamLord of Myst

Postby Indinera » Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:49 pm

Honestly I don't feel Axer comes across as less of a "supporter" of Aldorlea. But he likes Steam very much and I can understand that as it has a lot going for it. My experience/opinion is that that "popular" section is flawed and I wish they would make it better.
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Indinera
Site Admin

Postby bclouds » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:28 pm

I'm a steam whore myself with about 600 games in my collection but I prefer to buy Indie's game from the website as it means I get it much quicker and all the money goes to Indie and little to anyone else.
Steam is great and all that but I totally agree with Indie in regards to the fact that Steam pays very little interest to the little indie developers and also there are way too many crap games being released these days on Steam which makes it hard for quality developers to make decent money. You have to sort through all the crap to get to the good and this means trusting people's reviews which isn't always a good thing as lots of people are very critical of rpg maker games and unfairly give them poor reviews. A lot of people on Steam will play a game for 5 minutes before reviewing a game which is shit because a good rpg like Laxuis Force takes awhile to get going and when it does, it is hard to put down. But tell that to the imbeciles with 5 minute attention spans....

I like Aveyond 4's developer's approach. She is giving free Aveyond 4 steam codes for those who have purchased the game and only if you review her game. She has knocked up very good reviews and many of them so the game is probably selling like hotcakes. Maybe this is what you should do, Indie?
bclouds
Mercenary

Postby Totinos » Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:35 pm

That's actually a very good idea.

1) You buy the game here then all the money goes to Indinera. 20 dollars for a game at 100% is much better than 5 dollars for a game at 50-75% rate.

2) People who spent 20 dollars are much more likely to play the game through and put many hours into it as opposed to someone who paid 5 dollars on a steam sale. This means you got much more educated reviews than someone who played it for 30 mins and calls it "RPG Maker shit".

3) People who buy here get all the benefits of the Aldorea website and direct communication with Indinera but also get a +1 in steam game count, achievements, and earning trading cards(don't discount how popular those are).

4) I don't know if it is too late but maybe have an Aldorea Club where buying here gets you points or exclusive items. Exclusive Aldorea only maps, an extra dungeon or an item, even real life items like tshirt or cup. Access to uncensored versions for games that would be applicable.

I think if every game bought here came with a matching steam key, it could only be a benefit. You get to fully support the movement of longer games, deeper stories and greater challenges and don't have to pick between platforms. Sounds like a win/win scenario. I would probably rebuy the Aldorlea games I have on steam off of the site if that were the case.
Totinos
Peasant

Next

Return to Let's Discuss about Games