Laxius Soul Forever Heroes Maiden Maiden Odessa When the Light Dies

Heroes of Legionwood

Re: New RPG: Heroes of Legionwood

Postby Dark Gaia » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:58 am

Hi guys. Sorry to hear you don't like the level cap. Believe it or not, that isn't there to limit you or to enforce a false challenge. Just thought I'd give you some background on why it's there:

Certain design elements in the game are based on pen and paper RPGs and computer RPG variants of them - the EXP table in the game actually only goes up to 30, and from the very start, I only intended for the saga to take place over 30 levels. Those 30 levels were meant to encompass the same growth that 99 levels would in a different game.

In Japanese style RPGs, it is normal to reach level 50 or 99 (or sometimes even higher), but in tabletop games such as D&D, or even in many classic Western RPGs such as Fallout, Dragon Age, Neverwinter Nights, etc, 20-30 is considered an end game level range. Keeping the numbers smaller allows for more complex game mechanics and attack formulas to be easily tracked, and the math is much easier to balance as well. Just think about it: in a game where there is no natural stat growth, and you assign points each level, it's much easier to completely screw up your character and make them unplayable over 99 levels than it is over just 30. When I'm designing monsters, this way I know roughly what range the party's attributes will be, whereas 99 levels would have a MUCH bigger variance.

Basically, in Heroes of Legionwood, if a character gets to level 30, they'll have learned all of their class Techs and will be on a power level similar to a level 99 character in other RPGs you may be used to.

By the way, you REALLY must have grinded to get to level 30! You're not meant to get there through normal gameplay until the final installment in the series! I think you have amazing patience +::clap
Want the latest news on Legionwood and my other projects?
Head over [url]to http://legionwood.wordpress.com[/url] and keep in touch!
Dark Gaia
Wanderer

Postby blootooth » Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:45 pm

@Dark Gaia

Thank you for taking the time to explain some of the mechanics you used. I will not pretend to know anything about making a game, but I do know what I like and dislike about a game I buy and play. What I will try to say is when you make a game, you would do well in also looking at it from the perspective of the people whom you want to buy your game. If a developer chooses to adhere to set rules and mechanics without taking end-users' enjoyment into consideration, then most likely his game is not going to sell very well, agree? Also, he is not going to score very well when his game is full of bugs - never mind how minor - from the beginning. Eventually, buyers will get tired and avoid his games in the future. In the real world, we have quality control in all aspects of manufacturing. Why should games be an exception and not right the first time? Of course, the developer can hold his position with "take it or leave it". Then there is nothing else to say. I have no ill will and really do wish you well. :) :(
blootooth
Wanderer

Postby passerine » Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:38 pm

I decided to start over instead of going to lighthouse. Glad I did, with the kinks ironed out & understanding the game better.
I'm liking it more.

Wondering if anyone stole the dynasty crystal rather than doing the temple. Is there an upside either way? If you steal it can you still do the temple?
passerine
Wanderer

Postby Bluerose » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:28 pm

I downloaded version 1.1d, but when I try to install it I get this:

C\Games\Heroes of Legionwood\Data\Map 011.rvdata 2: Unknown Version

Right now I have version 1.1c installed. Right now I cannot finish game. :(
Bluerose
Mercenary

Postby passerine » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:37 pm

Bluerose did you try uninstalling & reinstalling, that works for me. On mine receipt there is no time limit for installing.
passerine
Wanderer

Postby Bluerose » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:14 pm

passerine wrote:Bluerose did you try uninstalling & reinstalling, that works for me. On mine receipt there is no time limit for installing.

I now just tried that, same thing keeps happening. I cannot install 1.1d
Bluerose
Mercenary

Postby Valdy » Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:50 am

Blootooth, thank you for your last comment. That's exactly how I feel. And I think that a game should be made in such a way that the developer shouldn't have to keep explaining as to why he or she made a game in such and such a way (and I actually can't see how this game compares with Baldur's Gate, but that's another thing) .

What I mainly don't like is the lack of choices. Even years ago, some devs added enough choices to make the game enjoyable for everyone. I do wish all developers had that kind of consideration.

I also don't like the many glitches and bugs (same difference?) in new RPGs. That's why I always wait a few months before I buy an RPG.
Last edited by Valdy on Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Valdy
Explorer

Postby feyone2 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:20 am

I'm having a problem working out what to do in the beginning of the lighthouse, there's a ball in the L side room but I can't move it to where I thought it should go. Can someone give me a hint to how I should proceed please +::sos
feyone2
Bounty Hunter

Postby Bluerose » Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:02 am

To move the ball in the lighthouse you need to first activate the switches in there to turn of the cloud things blocking the passage. Then you can move the ball through to the metal plates.
Bluerose
Mercenary

Postby feyone2 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:58 am

Thanks for the info Bluerose but how do I turn off the clouds? I haven't worked that out yet! Somethings are really obvious to me but others stump me!
feyone2
Bounty Hunter

Postby Nyx » Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:06 pm

I am in the stonekeep mines and there is one gate that I cannot open (see spoiler #1). I have wandered around for an hour now. There is also an area that I cannot access (see spoiler #2).

Any idea's anyone?!?! +:oops:

Spoiler: show
Take the first path east and second path northImage

Spoiler: show
First path east, first path north then eastImage
NYX
Nyx
DreamLord of Myst

Postby passerine » Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:12 pm

In spoiler two walk forward from way you are facing in screen shot. Take first left down. At end look left, there is a round rock. Push it back to hole the same way you just came from. Put rock in hole.
passerine
Wanderer

Postby Nyx » Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:44 pm

Passerine TY
NYX
Nyx
DreamLord of Myst

Postby Bluerose » Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:18 pm

@feyone2 To turn off the floating clouds, if I remember I think there are some symbols on the floor. I would go look, but I am stuck in the weave and can't get out. I would need a screen shot of the area you are in. The only saves I have are in the weave.

@ Dark Gaia, Is there anyway you can help me so I can finish the game? I have 1.1c and would love to get more time on the timed parts in the weave. I cannot install 1.1d so the patch with more time that you posted is no good to me, unless you made it work for 1.1c.
Bluerose
Mercenary

Postby passerine » Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:57 pm

Nyx wrote:Passerine TY

YW :)
passerine
Wanderer

PreviousNext

Return to Games from other Developers