Laxius Soul Forever Heroes Maiden Maiden Odessa When the Light Dies

Experience points

Experience points

Postby txmimi » Thu May 11, 2023 9:17 pm

Does playing on easy mode earn fewer experience points than on normal? Thanks.
txmimi
Mercenary

Re: Experience points

Postby Kale » Fri May 12, 2023 7:22 am

As far as I know, playing on easy just gives characters the 'Easy' status effect that boosts your four core stats by 30%. This makes you deal more damage with physical attacks, be more resilient to damage, act first in battle more often, and deal more damage with magic-based skills.

I did some very limited testing in both LF1 and LF2, and there does not appear to be any obvious exp reduction. If anything, having all your stats 30% higher will make you perform as if you were several levels higher. Luci's Ark Flare skill at the start of LF2, for example, does ~30% more damage immediately at the start.
Kale
Explorer

Postby txmimi » Fri May 12, 2023 8:17 pm

Kale, thanks so much for this info! I was asking because I'm finding it frustrating to go through the chapter, killing everything when I see it, and still having to do LOTS of grinding to complete a chapter. I"ve spent hours and days trying to level up enough to be able to get the chests in Metrolian ruins and have had zero success. It's really very tedious and mars my enjoyment of the games. But that's just me, I'm sure. . .
txmimi
Mercenary

Postby Kale » Fri May 12, 2023 11:34 pm

Nah you're not the only one, the chests in the Metrolian Ruins are rough to get for anyone. Kinda like the bat pot encounter Luci runs into during chapter 5 of LF2. Having a fight that is pure luck, or requires hours of grinding for XP for reliable results; is not user friendly. (It wouldn’t be so bad if you could just return later, but you can't) The walkthrough covers it for completion's sake, and some of the items are either unique to the ruins or useful in quests later in the game.

For what it's worth, some of the encounters in the ruins do not respawn, and you only have to beat them once. You can run down to the pond spirit (Step #7 of the walkthrough for reference), and grab boosts there. They only last one fight, so you need to avoid any other encounters, but if you're just shy of winning they'll tip the odds in your favor.
Kale
Explorer

Postby Seraphus » Sat May 13, 2023 2:23 pm

txmimi wrote:Kale, thanks so much for this info! I was asking because I'm finding it frustrating to go through the chapter, killing everything when I see it, and still having to do LOTS of grinding to complete a chapter. I"ve spent hours and days trying to level up enough to be able to get the chests in Metrolian ruins and have had zero success. It's really very tedious and mars my enjoyment of the games. But that's just me, I'm sure. . .

It is usually better to dodge the fights in Metrolia rather than fight them.
If you manage to get the luck ring, that's the only truly important thing there.
These fights really aren't meant to be won, per se.
Seraphus
Mercenary

Postby Lady JJ » Sat May 13, 2023 2:35 pm

Seraphus wrote:
txmimi wrote:Kale, thanks so much for this info! I was asking because I'm finding it frustrating to go through the chapter, killing everything when I see it, and still having to do LOTS of grinding to complete a chapter. I"ve spent hours and days trying to level up enough to be able to get the chests in Metrolian ruins and have had zero success. It's really very tedious and mars my enjoyment of the games. But that's just me, I'm sure. . .

It is usually better to dodge the fights in Metrolia rather than fight them.
If you manage to get the luck ring, that's the only truly important thing there.
These fights really aren't meant to be won, per se.

Maybe you could tell her exactly which chest that luck ring is in, in case she hasn't already found it? IIRC, it wasn't too far in. I also recall there are 2 types of wraiths. One is a more common one and you do stand a chance against it. The other, a Rainbow Wraith maybe? It's a lot stronger and you probably have no chance, so best to avoid. I do remember when I replayed that series, it was important to have that Luck Ring as it made all the difference in more unique items showing up later, being able to lockpick chests and doors, and a few other things. It is definitely worth trying to rush in and get it. Unfortunately I don't remember exactly which chest it was in. Does the walkthrough tell you? <checking.....> Oh, it does. https://www.aldorlea.org/officialsite/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=1636 Check steps 62-69, paying special attention to step 66.
Lady JJ
Bounty Hunter

Postby txmimi » Sat May 13, 2023 4:46 pm

I really appreciate all these tips and suggestions! I did get the luck ring, so I'm glad to hear that's the main thing for the area. I did get the characters levelled up to what the walkthrough suggested, and will just move on. I was never able to avoid those enemies in Metrolian ruins.

I was in the middle of LF III when I realized my peeps weren't strong enough to keep going without lots of agony. So that's when I decided to start the series over and be more intentional about levelling everyone up. I love that the games are so replayable, even for a casual player like me.
txmimi
Mercenary

Postby Kale » Sat May 13, 2023 10:23 pm

I think you can buy the luck ring fairly deep into chapter 3, though it's available at the guild that constantly updates and removes old stock/rewards if you don't grab them instantly, and there may be a very limited window to buy? (You would lose out on every bonus the luck ring provides prior to then though) And yeah, there is a weaker version and a stronger version of the wraith. Probably would not recommend fighting the stronger ones, though I think somewhere around level 30-40 it does start to become possible, or earlier than that if you play on easy. (Still don't recommend fighting the stronger ones, but FYI)

Beyond that, the Obsidian Shield and Morning Dew may be entirely unique to the ruins. The Obsidian shield is nice for awhile but does eventually fall off, while the Morning Dew is part of a very limited pool of jewelry needed to complete the chapter 4 jewelry quest. There is another Occixion Ring available in the game, so while it's not unique to the ruins, getting the one in the ruins would give you a spare copy to turn in for the chapter 4 quest. (You need to turn in 4 jewelry, out of 5 possible choices) Though, I'm not sure if that quest requires turning in four different jewelry items, or if you can just give them multiple copies of the love rings/seed rings that you bought earlier in the game.

The remaining knight helm and champion helm, can just be found later in chapter 2 and 3 respectively. Not bad to have, but also not unique or special in the long run.
Kale
Explorer

Postby Seraphus » Sun May 14, 2023 8:55 am

Kale wrote:I think you can buy the luck ring fairly deep into chapter 3, though it's available at the guild that constantly updates and removes old stock/rewards if you don't grab them instantly, and there may be a very limited window to buy? (You would lose out on every bonus the luck ring provides prior to then though) And yeah, there is a weaker version and a stronger version of the wraith. Probably would not recommend fighting the stronger ones, though I think somewhere around level 30-40 it does start to become possible, or earlier than that if you play on easy. (Still don't recommend fighting the stronger ones, but FYI)

Beyond that, the Obsidian Shield and Morning Dew may be entirely unique to the ruins. The Obsidian shield is nice for awhile but does eventually fall off, while the Morning Dew is part of a very limited pool of jewelry needed to complete the chapter 4 jewelry quest. There is another Occixion Ring available in the game, so while it's not unique to the ruins, getting the one in the ruins would give you a spare copy to turn in for the chapter 4 quest. (You need to turn in 4 jewelry, out of 5 possible choices) Though, I'm not sure if that quest requires turning in four different jewelry items, or if you can just give them multiple copies of the love rings/seed rings that you bought earlier in the game.

The remaining knight helm and champion helm, can just be found later in chapter 2 and 3 respectively. Not bad to have, but also not unique or special in the long run.

It needs different unique rings, yes.
As for morning dew: I think you can find another one but honestly I can't remember where. So I might be wrong.
It just feels in my head like you can.

The Holocaust Wraiths have always felt impossible to me unless you waste Omega Budons on them.
Although grinding Random to 42 and then using God Blade should work too. Maybe. I haven't tried that.
Why would you, though +::biggrin

The replayability of these games is indeed a major thing, though. I think I've played Chapter 1 more than any other rpg combined. I've even done speedruns of it.
I love chapter 1.
Seraphus
Mercenary

Postby Kale » Sun May 14, 2023 11:53 am

The better question is why wouldn't you. :)

So I dug up an old save file, and you can beat them fairly reliably at lvl 41. I'm sure it's possible to beat them before then too, like mid 30's with patience and save/load use. That's specifically on normal difficulty, without the 'easy' status effect boost, without the pond spirit boosts, and even without activating legend slayer (I forgot it), but with the best equipment that is available in chapter 1. You can still get erased by its best spells though, so it's essentially a damage/RNG race to defeat it before it uses a move that just wipes you out.

If you were on easy (+30% to all four core stats), had all pond spirit boosts (I think they are: +25% Str/Res/Mnd?), and spent the first round activating legend slayer (Random) and attack up (Sarah casts on Random); it would be possible and far more reliable to defeat them at an earlier level than that. Level 35 for echo blade would be a great milestone to reach, but with all that extra attack power, echo blade may not even be necessary anymore. Cocka-Cocka might even be contributing at that point with the extra ~55% Strength from the 'easy' and pond spirit boosts combined.

I'm still not recommending beating them by any means, but for anyone interested in how it plays out, there ya go!

---------------------

Good to hear about the jewelry quest, I just didn't remember anymore. So, so many years ago it's been.
Kale
Explorer

Return to Laxius Force: Heroes Never Die - Help and Questions