Laxius Soul Forever Heroes Maiden Maiden Odessa When the Light Dies

I Give Up!

I Give Up!

Postby HisChild » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:01 pm

I am totally frustrated with this game! I have played all the Aveyond games so I know how to use this software. I know each programmer writes different "rules" for their game off the base model, but the problem with this game is the lack of GOLD! I cannot get enough gold together to be able to do any type of real fighting along the way because I cannot buy even phials to renew MP! I have gone all the way through Rocky Path and then the Lighted Swamp and part of the Refuge to completely back track to try to get enough gold to replenish my phials. Most of the time I Escape rather than fight which is not the way I normally play RPG games. I know you don't want to turn the game into a one that has a mountain of worthless gold when you finish, but if I can't even fight, let alone buy better weapons and armor then it is a total waste of hours of my time! That is 3 sections that I have had to go back and then I end up without enough gold to make a difference anyway. I have even backtracked and replayed Pinerock not buying phials before I left in order that I would have enough money at the Forge since if you don't have enough money at the time the item is available you can't get it at all. What's with that anyway! I didn't have enough gold to fight all the Golems and other critters in Rocky Path and had to go back several times to the Windmills to sleep and finally I went all the way back to the general store for more gold. I WASTED SO MUCH TIME!

I have not a clue how you have managed to keep customer's happy enough with thiis game that you are up to the third chapter. I'm done! I was really having a good time, but I'm not after not having enough gold to kill critters in the swamp let alone try to fight the Rogue! It is also such a huge distance between supply points to buy phials even if I had gold. I was enjoying the game enough that I was going to buy Millenium 2 and 3 and play them one after the other, but not now.

Maybe I don't know how to play this game well enough, but you give so little assistance in understanding the basics of the game that I can't work out a strategy for fighting and preserving my gold. There is not enough description of what the different sections of the Status screen mean. I have no idea how hard it is going to be to kill a critter. What is with not showing the critters we are going into battle to fight? You can't tell if it is going to be one or 10 critters until you are in battle!

I'm not a total novice having played Aveyond. I know how to change up fighting styles, but I don't have enough information along with no gold to be able to figure out a different strategy. I even use a walk through as a guide, and I also use maps. The "maps" for this game aren't just screen shots. The maps for the Aveyond were so much better .

So frustrated and disappointed. +::surrender +::surrender +::surrender
HisChild
Wanderer

Re: I Give Up!

Postby Indinera » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:35 pm

Have you tried selling items to get some golds? Like nuggets and stuff?
• Play my latest games! ⬇️⬇️⬇️
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Indinera
Site Admin

Postby dee0227 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:40 pm

viewtopic.php?f=64&t=2236#p26183

There is a list of items in MM1 here. It tells what you can safely sell and what you need to keep to finish the game. Further on in the game you start fighting enemies that drop gold. You can always mine the meat from the animals and sell it. It is pretty easy to replenish.

dee0227
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what the heck
happened.
dee0227
Ranger

Postby D-Squall » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:44 pm

I particularly like Millennium better than Aveyond, by what I could play Aveyond... it was harder than Millennium, also... if you are finding dificult, I think that Story Mode starts with 1000 gold coins.

Also, maybe you haven't noticed that you can sell items to gain money. Like Indinera said above.
Last edited by D-Squall on Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
D-Squall
Aldorlian Legend

Postby Indinera » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:49 pm

Yes story and easy modes give you a gold bonus but basically, the moment you start selling items, you will have gold.
You are quite far in the game, too, which is already a good accomplishment in itself. :)
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Indinera
Site Admin

Re: I Give Up! Sort of....

Postby HisChild » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:25 pm

Thanks folks. I'll go mining meat and sell whatever I can. I have been afraid to sell most of the items because you never know what you will need later. This is especially true with equipment. I did learn about the dark gloves unfortunately and had to go to the shrine, which wasn't that easy to locate when you are off somewhere else when you discover the gloves won't come off. I have been trying to stick to only selling those items that are listed as usual like meat and dragonfly wings off the list I found here. I really have been trying, but I'm sick of backtrackting just to get gold to buy mana, oh excuse me, magical points. Wish programmers would just keep one general vocabulary. I think having the noble ring finally makes a huge difference otherwise stuff doesn't count for anything. Using Jeanne is great, but she costs gold and she doesn't work on gollems on the Rocky Path. I also hate having to back track to complete quests like the snakes which I had to go back to Green Grass and there aren't that many of them. Or the grapes which for some reason I'm having a hard time collecting in Scarlet River. I think the gold situation and back tracking make this game much harder than Aveyond. I had one problem with the last chapter of Aveyond when I literally had to start over because I did something stupid. I forget now what it was. These games are much better played using the guide so you don't miss something critical because they don't document anything. You have to wait for people playing the game to come out with maps and lists, etc. I usually start playing an area, and then go back and check the walkthrough/guide to be sure I didn't miss something important before I move too far ahead.

One more try.
HisChild
Wanderer

Postby loof123 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:05 pm

You'll see this game deserves a 2nd try.
loof123
PhysicMage of Arkadya

Re: I DIDN'T Give Up!

Postby HisChild » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:49 pm

Well, it was a particularly frustrating back up of several hours of play, but after help from Indinera and others I am trying again. I am back to the Lighted Swamp going to try again. I got killed big time before by the Rogue. So wish me luck.

Thanks everyone.
HisChild
Wanderer

Postby kalbun » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:33 pm

loof123 wrote:You'll see this game deserves a 2nd try.

This is an old thread but I'd like to give my contribution nonetheless...

I played many RPG, a few from Aldorlea, and IMHO Millenium 1 seems much more difficult than the standard.

Not only I agree about the lack of gold (yeah I know, you can sell items, yet...), but the number of objects that you may find or that monsters drop are surprisingly low.

Well, that's for the negative part.

On the good side, I appreciate the storyline and the characters.
Marine is a commoner that doesn't bow to his destiny. The message is very positive: everyone can change the world :)
As always in Aldorlea games, there is a lot of humour that I appreciate as well. Benoit is a great character +::biggrin

At the moment I am stuck in the old temple, because I don't have enough items to survive the fight with the djinn. My only hope is to keep killing monsters and eventually reach a much higher level. Oh how I'd like to find some phials...
--Kalbun
kalbun
Bard

Postby Indinera » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:47 am

Playing on Story or even Easy mode usually "fixes" the difficulty of the game.
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Indinera
Site Admin

Postby Tomas » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:14 am

It's true that MM can be quite hard, though.
I would say that it's more sensitive to how many secrets the player discovers. The game is perfectly playable with good equipp, but if too many things are missed, then it quickly becomes a struggle.
Now this is obviously necessary, because it gives the player another reason to try to discover everything, but I've always felt that LF or the other parts of MM saga are more forgiving to this...
Tomas
Ranger

Postby Indinera » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:06 pm

I came up with story mode exactly because of that. Story mode IS easy, truthfully.
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Indinera
Site Admin

Return to Millennium: A New Hope - Help and Questions