Laxius Soul Forever Heroes Maiden Maiden Odessa When the Light Dies

Weird keyboard/technical issue

Re: Weird keyboard/technical issue

Postby freykin » Sun May 30, 2010 8:54 am

Yes, I have tried that several times. Hmm, one thing I haven't tried yet though, this made me think of it. I'm going to try disabling my keyboard drivers completely and see if mouse/gamepad works. Wish me luck!

Edit: unfortunately, it looks like you can't actually disable the keyboard drivers on windows 7 :(.
freykin
Peasant

Postby jyarceus1993 » Sun May 30, 2010 5:16 pm

HEY....you still havent told me if my method works or not!! +::biggrin
Spoiler: show

La shai'a waqi'on motlaq bal kollon momken-Altair
jyarceus1993
DreamLord of Myst

Postby freykin » Sun May 30, 2010 10:16 pm

Jyarceus, it doesn't recognize the up and left arrow keys while I am playing. Pushing them repeatedly does nothing, and the only time the other two arrow keys work is in the menu.
freykin
Peasant

Postby jyarceus1993 » Mon May 31, 2010 5:51 am

thats too bad..... :(

La shai'a waqi'on motlaq bal kollon momken-Altair
jyarceus1993
DreamLord of Myst

Postby Zeriab » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:53 am

Does it happen consistently and immediately as you enter the game?
In the topic at amaranthia the problem came after several minutes of play.
In the menu, does all arrow keys work or only some of them?

I just tried plugging my PS2 to USB adapter into my computer. (So you can use PlayStation 2 controllers on the PC)

I didn't plug any controllers into the adapter.
The effect was that right and down was kept being pressed.
In the start menu I could only use the left and up arrow keys, the other two had no effect. (Well, and the mouse)
When I started a game from scratch or from a save my hero immediately moved down or to the right.
I was able to move around with the mouse if I held down both the left and up arrow.

I pulled out the PS2 to USB adapter and the problem disappeared immediately. The problem also disappeared when I plugged two joypads into the adapter.

If the symptoms I describe look like yours, then the problem is most likely due to a game pad or joy pad port giving you trouble. Have you used a gamepad for a game before? Then plugging it in may solve your problem. Otherwise you can try to somehow disable it.
I hope you'll be able to solve the problem.

*hugs*
- Zeriab
Checkout my game Desecrators
Zeriab
Explorer

Postby freykin » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:39 am

Hi Zeriab,

It happens consistently and immediately even from the get go with the starting menu.

In the menu, I can go down but not back up.

I have used gamepads in the past, but did not have mine plugged in while originally trying to play. I had actually forgotten about it, and your post reminded me of it. I just tried it, and sadly it isn't recognizing the inputs from the gamepad. I tested it in other software and it recognized it, so it isn't that the pad is not being noticed by the computer.

I tried the holding down keys and clicking with the mouse method, and while it does work, that isn't a good enough workaround for me to justify doing it to play a game :(.

If it helps at all, I'm using a xbox 360 controller via the usb wireless adapter that Microsoft used to make. Handy thing, for $19.99 I can use up to 4 xbox 360 controllers with my computer, along with the headset. Too bad that this game isn't recognizing it :/.
freykin
Peasant

Postby Zeriab » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:36 am

I think the problem may be caused by the engine for some weird reason believes that a gamepad is connected which actually is not connected. Perhaps you have used different USB ports when you connected your gamepad.

Since it happens consistently it's much easier to test if potential fixes or workaround works.
I have made something which should disable gamepads and I would be very happy if you would try it: http://www.mediafire.com/?wjwwmzm2zq5
Extract the contents into the Dreamscape folder. (The Data folder must be located in the same folder as the Dreamscape.exe)

The feeling of the arrow keys is slightly different, but other than that it'll hopefully work.

*hugs*
Zeriab
Explorer

Postby freykin » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:17 pm

Zeriab, you're my hero. It works! both in the menus and running around. Thank you so much for helping me with this :). Out of curiousity, how hard is it to disable gamepads in rpgmaker games? I know this was just a quick workaround for this one, so if I want to play any other ones I'll have to duplicate this result for other ones.

I'm off to sleep, but tomorrow night I'm looking forward to finishing up my free trial time and seeing this game in action :D
freykin
Peasant

Postby Zeriab » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:35 pm

Excellent news!

I am not sure how difficult it will be. I am afraid it may be something like going into the Device Manager and having to disable the right Human Interface Devices (HIDs) there.
Zeriab
Explorer

Postby freykin » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:39 am

Zeriab,

Wanted to let you know I found the right HID to disable in my device manager. There is a gamepad listed, and when I disabled it the problems went away in a different rpgmaker game that was having the same issues. So it looks like all I have to do to fix it is disable that HID device, and enable it again whenever I want to use my gamepad. Hooray!
freykin
Peasant

Postby D-Squall » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:42 am

Whew, what a problem. Zeriab is really a lifesaver +::Thumbup
D-Squall
Aldorlian Legend

Postby Zeriab » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:22 pm

Great news freykin :D
Thanks for being so cooperative and helping me discover the cause.
You may want to remove my fix since it is really is more of a hack than anything else.
The fix can still be useful if you don't have the rights to disable gamepads (should the problem exist at some library computer)

@D-Squall:
Zeriab
Explorer

Postby freykin » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:49 pm

To remove your fix I just erase the Data folder, correct? Want to make sure before I accidentaly bork my install.

As for the game itself, it's a lot of fun! I burned through my trial time yesterday, and once I'm done with finals I'm going to pick it up as a reward for getting them done :). I really like the whole world within worlds thing in it, I'd never have thought to do something like that with rpgmaker. Not that I've made anything anywhere near this scale, but it's neat seeing things like this done and knowing exactly how they were done :)
freykin
Peasant

Postby Zeriab » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:08 pm

In theory yes, but just to be safe I recommend renaming the folder first.
That way you can just rename it back if something breaks.

Dreamscape is my favorite Aldorlea game atm and I did loose half a week beating it. +::biggrin
Zeriab
Explorer

Postby SurferGranny » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:34 pm

Zeriab, you're a lifesaver!! +::wizard You just can't be beat for tech stuff. +::kiss Thanks sooo much for all your help! +::clap
ImageImageImage
I'm a member of an Aldorea Menage. Want more info? Click here
SurferGranny
PhysicMage of Arkadya

Previous

Return to Dreamscape - Help and Questions