Laxius Soul Forever Heroes Maiden Maiden Odessa When the Light Dies

The Tale of a Common Man Memories

Re: The Tale of a Common Man Memories

Postby semcrae » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:23 pm

What does Aaydan have to use to beat Branel at the inn?
semcrae
Wanderer

Postby littlebro » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:22 pm

This thread is only for players' assessments of the overall game, not for asking questions.

Best to make a new thread.
littlebro
Ranger

Postby flavie » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:56 pm

Your opinion about Jerrat?
He’s a man of reasoning as he explains to Aaydan he shan’t feel guilty. He’s responsible, calm and caring. At the end I liked when he makes morale to Lord Asomond. His harvest skill is useful to spend less on brews and takes health from enemies too.
Your opinion about Aaydan?
He has few self confidence so he’s shy to seduce Eloabeth, he doesn’t dare to show how he would react to Jerrat in some occasions. I think he should be proud for his survival skill of living like a vagabond. It was so funny to see him complain of not drinking. I like Windblown vs bees.
Your opinion about Eloabeth?
She only cares about distillation, I was relieved she did the first step to kiss Aaydan.
I used sometimes her reflect magic but more often used reflect magic potions as all the party has it.
I used magic guard, restorer, some fire guard scrolls too
Your opinion about Rowath?
A lover who wants to provide proofs to his father-in-law. A good warrior with efficient atk and block/counter-atk.
Your opinion about Grawin?
So self-assured he doesn’t prove it. Haughty towards commoners and women. As he leaves to see Lord Arat, he says nothing. +::O_o He’ll have less prejudices as he’ll be intrigued by Asterie. His silver sword hurt some,he still needs to be galvanized.
Feniel is too trustfull, he should doubt on people, be clear-sighted, (like he saw enemies at the staircase +::biggrin ). His spymaster skill is useful vs non magic enemies, I used his magic a few times.
Asterie ailment guard, her bodyguard skills cost her health, I didn’t add her enough defense.
Your opinion about the story and dialogs?
I loved how the story unfolds but I was confused. I thought Asomond was planning to attack Yorien and made a detour to erase suspicions. There were subtle clues like “Feniel why are you so loyal to the Duke?” so Lord Biron being disloyal and helping Lord Asomond with Branel , we have our traitors. I wondered if it wasn’t risky to do sidequests without missing the revenge. From revenge the focus turns to Asomond’s scheme, it seems Jerrat played for people's interest rather than his own. To remove status pride to Lord Asomond is a good lesson, imagine he becomes humble, it's good but Meela and Jerrat's son won't be revived +::Dunno
I wonder if doing certain sidequests or not has influence on the ending. See if we just saved Melinthra from the monster and didn’t talk later on to the soldier she was supposed to marry, it would have ended wrong. Things are not always what they seem. :)
It’s cool to notice characters evolve or change their mind like Grawin who become interested in Asterie as she knows of weaponry and strategy. Grawin speaks well when he says he learned what true honor and nobility is with the commoners.
Your opinion about the monsters?
Look ok, creepy scythes, I didn’t like those in the sewers.
Your opinion about the battles?
Info SHIFT on monsters is helpful and particular of Gemelle games :) Jakktar as a monster is very pretty artwork. Galehar soldiers have tough armor, I spent some time in Lomax woods. Lord Biron’s big pet weakens much sinceLord Biron is dead, I beat it in almost a blow with water! The last battle was easy/average for me with characters around level 40, normal mode.
Your opinion about the game's title screen and music?
The title is simple, I would have suggested “the tale of a leader farmer”. It looks fun and gives more will to play to my mind. I loved “theme crystallized” a good start on the adventure. I loved “angry avenger” and “high stakes low chances” battle soundtracks, so exciting! +::grrr +::music
What was your favorite moment and why?
When Jerrat welcomes Nevik home. When Meela’s ghost kisses Jerrat from afar.
What's the game's best/strongest sides?
Humor in NPCs like the musicians playing, the pianist who doesn’t play well as nobody cares. Reapers twirling with the sound.
Boulder as he says “no I’m not a civilian!” like he’s a strong fighter and says “ nah, not this time.”
That self-centered girl at Seaswale who’s happy that the guys aren’t attracted by her in her first answer but who shows she’s hurt by her second answer.
The artwork of the windmill and Neston’s ship! +::heart Asterie’s long hair, Grawin’s smile. +::kiss
A bad thing: I didn’t get a scene about Rowath’s paintings at the end with the mayor or with the Beaver, neither a scene more specific on Grawin and Asterie.

Have you played other Aldorlea "collaboration" games (Sylia, Opaline, Onyx, Undefeated) and if so, how does this one compare?
I played them all, it’s better on humor, time of playing and artwork but the end is short on scenes on each character.
If you love searching the truth, fight for human race,good and bad sex, sadism to stop, the prequel is WTF
Read "The sword of Truth" by Terry Goodkind in your language or English. Read the prequel after "the Confessor" to not be spoiled.
flavie
Explorer

Postby darkange » Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:25 am

In terms of personality he was a very cool dude. I especially liked the moment where he said that people who are brave feel fear .... they just choose to act against it - this is sooooo true. In terms of playstyle .... he was the healer of the party with his primary mana skills.

The guy who evolved and learned that he is way better than he thinks. Regarding his playstyle - one of my favourite characters. Equip him with critical increase chance items and a lot of luck in his stat and he crits like a mother fucker. I only wanted him to have more AOE skills .

I liked the fact that she was more honest than other characters in the beggining .... she had less internal monologue dialogues compared to others. Also she helped in almost all the fights with her sleep spell and aoe spells. I always wanted her to act last after all the characters so she can put all the enemies to sleep without a stupid ally waking them up after.

Original dwarf.... never heard of an artistic one either. I like his personality and his skills. His last one where he hits one enemy for his ATKx11 was gold... too bad he missed a lot. Maybe there is a stat that influence how many times he misses ... I just didn't figured it out.... could it be luck ?

Best characters in game if you play with him because he has that Instant skill spell. Equip him with mana reduction accesory and have 99 mana potion and you can kill all monsters so fast even at legendary. His personality is not great... too arrogant with his noble status.

The story was ok .... but I can see the diference between this game and a game made by Indy only .... I got lost in the story with so many characters introduced without a proper explanation .... it wasn't that good compared to other games. One new thing that I liked was the internal thoughts the characters had that where displayed for us players. Too bad some of them were not spoken out loud.

Cool looking monsters with better graphics and easier to fight them when you see their HP from the start.

Like I said above.... the battles were way easier even at Legendary mode when you can see the life of the monsters and their stats.

In some areas the music was magnificent. I still listen to the soundtrack from Melowkeep ... that one is my favourite. It makes me feel so calm and peaceful.

There were several in this one : the moment where Jerrat gives Aaydan life's lesson's .... the beaver moments and his awesomeness lol... and the last moment where Jerrat gets his revenge. You should add a question about the optional character too. His skill where he Ko's enemies was so good .... he is working like it should work in other games - even on bosses. I was so suprised when i used him on a boss with full HP and boom boss died instantly.

The new graphic and the new display of battles and skills.

Have you played other Aldorlea "collaboration" games (Sylia, Opaline, Onyx, Undefeated) and if so, how does this one compare?
This is the first collaboration game I played... after I play the others I will tell you .... of course I will select legendary everytime in those games. I am confident they are easy too - for my awesomeness :P
I don't stop when I'm tired, I stop when I am done.
(David Goggins)
darkange
Bounty Hunter

Postby Boxter » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:27 am

First of all, all of the character were great on a gameplay level, but that is also something that I expect from an RPG, because I wouldn't pay and play it if all character were playing exactly the same and were generic.
So what follows is a more in dept analysis of the character on a more story oriented fashion.

He wasn't one of the greatest character of this game, but would have already been a better than average character in another game. You do feel is uncertainty in the entirity of the game. You do feel sad for him each time he thinks of his home. At least, at the end, he find what to do with his life with that poor kid from the sewers.
I recall another character from the old years that was as well done as he is, it's coming from Tale of Phantasia.
That game was also a tale of revenge (if even worse since an entire village have been burned). In Jerrat's case, he truly pursue someone that has evil intention, in Phantasia, if you finish it, you understand that the desire for revenge has in fact lead to the event that is the cause for revenge. (Time travel of course, that's your next game isn't it)
Jerrat isn't as interesting as that character, but is quite close to it, so well done.

That's probably the best character in the game. Start has a poor, cowardly wanderer that has no purpose in life beside his own survival to become quite a brave hero that thinks more about others and how he could help them than anything else.
I also appreciate his social clumsyness in the beginning that transform into quite a social strengh by the end of the game.
Of course, his love story with Eloabeth is actually great, it doesn't seem forced at all.

Well, she knows what she want right from the start. Always caring for her companion, she genuinely want to help Jerrat with his quest, but she won't let her own objective pass down too. That's how a character should act, having her own goals, while also being able to not be overwhelming to others. Beside this, I don't have much to say about her, that's why she isn't much better than average.

Strange Dwarf if I ever seen one. He still have the same prejudice about women that his race but soon learn to change his opinion about this subject. For all the rest, he's one danm different beast than whatever cliche you may have in mind.
An all around great character that comes in 3rd position for is evolution from a simple minded dwarf that learn how to
break the prejudice of his people for good. Also, he's borderline a psychologist to see coming all the love affairs...

Ok, that one was funny, throw a true knight with all the prejudice nobility have for non noble, into a party of peasants and look at all his toughts been broken apart one after the other... A pure delight, I give this one the 3rd position as well.
Your opinion about Asterie?
I never saw a character that was pissoff because of detour taken by the party in a game. Litteraly everyone has to explain a reason as to why helping Eloa will help them, and even with that she still isn't happy about it...
When Eloa propose to her her help with potions, she's happy with it since at least, she get something. Even better when she find the weapon of her "Dream". Also, her military knowledge and withs litteraly make Grawin flabbergast because he never thought that a woman can be this great. (for him) I must say that even if I do not possess such prejudice, she still has surprise me. The 2nd position goes to her.
The subject of the story was less unique than in undefeated, after all, military conscription is not depicted a lot in video games. While story of revenge have already happen in the past.
The strengh are coming from the characters themselves and their interaction that are even better in this game than in undefeated. The realism is also quite present and make these characters vibrant and alive.

The variety of the monster couldn't have been better is these 14h. again great job.
The battle were more balanced and as varied as in the last game of yours Kes, great job.
The music was very good, I quite liked the main theme played in the main menu.
The update main menu with the characters that appears while the game advance is also a nice touch that many games don't do. That is a clear + for your game.
The sidequest of the last scroll in mount hammel and the discussion between Asterie and the rest of the party,
this whole scene is the most unique surprise.
Also, the foreshdowing of the true intention of the vilain is great.
Character on a story perspective and on gameplay itself.
If compare to Undefeated, a less interesting subject that is even better told, and there I was thinking that you couldn't have done better character than in that game, you prouved me wrong.
Boxter
Wanderer

Postby LisaRaeX » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:35 pm

Surprised by ending (his choice). Shouldn't have been. It was clear all along, if I'd stopped to think. He was too likeable, kind and thoughtful, too often.

I liked Aaydan from the start. Glad he got to see himself in a different light.

I also liked her; she was strong without being pushy.

Cute. Nice imagining of a different "cultural" perspective, but he was willing to accept (eventually) almost anything. He was surprised, but didn't judge (mostly).

Started out a jerk. Only redeeming feature was his loyalty. He did end up learning from his experiences though.

Dramatic concept; well executed. The internal monologues were a good touch, providing depth to the characters.

Meh. Not a monster fan, so I didn't really notice. One thing I did notice was that in many cases you didn't fight creatures often enough to need to find out their weaknesses etc - although I was playing easy mode, so that probably made a difference.

Standard. Annoying, but they're part of the genre. I liked "Auto" so that I didn't have to think for the standard monsters.

Nice graphic, I mute music so I can't comment on that. (The repetitiveness of most music at the speed I play - ultra slow - drives me nuts, even if I like it.)

Probably the ending second (where Jerrat decides not to kill Asomond) because Jerrat hasn't changed internally and first the appearance of Meerla at her grave site. Teared up then.

For me, visible encounters, mostly easy to find hidden rooms (I hate bouncing off every wall just in case), and a not overwhelming number of enemies. I like the stories, not the fights. Oh, and not a ton of going back and forth to complete quests or story - it's linear, which I prefer.

Have you played other Aldorlea "collaboration" games (Sylia, Opaline, Onyx, Undefeated) and if so, how does this one compare? I doubt it. I own Aldorlea games, but don't know if they are collaborations and haven't ever completed any of them.
I liked this game (surprising myself). I like Aldorlea concepts, but can no longer play the ... intensity ... they provide.

Question of my own: Why doesn't the questionnaire ask about Feniel, Asterie, and Boulder since it asks about Grawin?
LisaRaeX
Wanderer

Postby Indinera » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:07 pm

Thanks for your feedback.

Why doesn't the questionnaire ask about Feniel, Asterie, and Boulder since it asks about Grawin?

I'm the one who makes the questionary, in general I try to focus on "main" or "significant" characters, in order to avoid drowning our memory entrants into questions.
Feel free to add your opinion about them though. :)
• Play my latest games! ⬇️⬇️⬇️
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Indinera
Site Admin

Postby LisaRaeX » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:51 pm

Indinera wrote:Thanks for your feedback.
Why doesn't the questionnaire ask about Feniel, Asterie, and Boulder since it asks about Grawin?

I'm the one who makes the questionary, in general I try to focus on "main" or "significant" characters, in order to avoid drowning our memory entrants into questions.
Feel free to add your opinion about them though. :)

Sorry, I was just curious because I personally didn't see him as a major character. I guess he technically is, but you pick up Asterie long before him for example. (Courtesy reply, feel free to ignore. +::whistle )
LisaRaeX
Wanderer

Previous

Return to The Tale of a Common Man - Help and Questions